Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the dreaded call from my wife Monday on my way home from a business trip in NewZealand. "My car is broken, it goes WHOOOOO and will not go!" We had gotten the P0011 code and I thought it was a bad sinsor because the car was running great, I was going to take it to the dealer but I was affraid of getting ripped off.

Yesterday I removed the Turbo and I could see no visible dammage to the turbo except it now has no bearings in it. I have inspected the intercooler and the cat and there is no metal in them.

What is the best options for me? I think a stock turbo would be fine for my wife but if I am doing this work I hate to not get some extra performance at the same time. Is there a bolt on replacement that will net a few extra HP that I will not need to change intercooler, etc...

What else do I need to check? We have had this car for 2 years and put about 30,000 miles on it, it now has 63,000. I think the turbo has been replaced before, I saw some marked up nuts when removing the turbo. I have seen mention about some screens causing lubrication problems, does this affect my 05? I am using AMSoil and was going by their recomendation for turbo cars of 17,500 miles or 1 year for the oil change, I go 25,000 in my Acura, almost 180,000 and no problems. With the way my wife drives I figured I was good for the 1 change/year. Maybe I should not believe everything I read, or maybe this is left over from the previous owners. I will flush the oil system and change the oil after installing the new turbo, is there anything else I need to do?

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
First. Welcome to the forum.

Second. Are you flipping kidding me? Seriously? 17,500 mile oil change intervals? Turbo motors are just too hard on oil for that. Unless I'm missing something, I haven't seen or been apart of a study that would suggest that is ok.

There has been analysis done that would suggest 7,500 miles would be ok. I still don't risk it with the way I like to drive.

There are many turbo options out there. If you want to stay Subaru, there are the VF series turbos. Search around as there are many threads and posts about these.

Blouch is considered one of the best options for Mitsubishi based bolt on turbos. There are many other options out there as well.

Anything but stock will require a tune. Period. You can't get around it. Whether its with a Cobb AP, UTEC, or opensource, you have to get a tune.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep that is what AMSoil has in their Service Intervals for Turbo/supercharged engines

I have found a stock turbo for an 04 manual Forester. There will be no difference, man. or auto will there?

·
admin
2019 Outback 3.6R ..... 98 Forester S - Atl, GA
6,784 Posts
I have found a stock turbo for an 04 manual Forester. There will be no difference, man. or auto will there?
Correct, they are the same turbos.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Sport
119 Posts
Hi and welcome!:biggrin:

you might find this info helpful too from Forced Performance: Subaru Oil Starvation

i would check that banjo bolt before you put the turbo in....

i use Amsoil too, the Signature Series, it's great oil but i would never go 17,500 miles for the next oil change...especially on a turbo'd car....i usually change it between 6k to 7k miles...it's still pretty gold when i change it but i just don't take the risk of leaving it in that long....

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep that was lots of help!

it all makes since now. the 0011 code caused by a clogged screen and then a turbo with no bearings. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
I never could quite figure out if the '05's still had the screen or not. And it looks like a complete SOB to get at so I haven't messed w/ it. Stop scaring me people.

The "reason" for his 17K interval is the Amsoil bit, but again, I wouldn't necessarily trust it to that degree. Ok, maybe it doesn't shear down by then, but that doesn't mean it magically stays clean either.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
I never could quite figure out if the '05's still had the screen or not. And it looks like a complete SOB to get at so I haven't messed w/ it. Stop scaring me people.

The "reason" for his 17K interval is the Amsoil bit, but again, I wouldn't necessarily trust it to that degree. Ok, maybe it doesn't shear down by then, but that doesn't mean it magically stays clean either.
Pulling the screens is easy. Mine just fell out of the banjo bolt...I pulled the ones in the AVCS lines too...

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what to do with the screens?

I have not yet removed the oil lines to get to the screens and will not be home to do this for a few days. The banjo fitting next to the turbo will be easy to get to, but the other one I can not even see. I can see the line going under the intake somewhere, It looks like I will have to remove the air pipe from the airfilter box at least. When I do get to these screens what is the best way to deal with them? Leave them out, poke a big hole in them, or replace them with something else?

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Sport
119 Posts
best thing to do is pull them out completely...it won't affect the turbo in any way...it will actually help it out a little more...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts