Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wasn't sure to post this here or in the suspension room, so mods please feel free to move.

Have a 2002 with 115,000 on the clock....been noticing a ta dump, ta dump, ta dump sound coming from the rear drivers side...seems to come and go.

Checked under the car this morning, and there is a lot of oil/grease type stuff around the strut (drivers side/rear)....so I am guessing it is a gonner. (pass side is fine/clean)

My question isn't really about replacing it, but as to if it may cause further damage if I cant get it repaired for a little while...prob 2-3 weeks.....I work from home 3 days a week, so I am only driving a few times per week and on weekends.

The car isn't really sagging that much on the drivers side, but I am guessing the problem will get worse and worse as more fluid drains out of the strut. (Just don't have $600 right now to fix it, and I don't have the tools to do on my own)

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
The struts cannot get much worse that "completely gone", and should not do any catastrophic further damage EXCEPT in a situation where the imbalanced and bouncing rear end will cause you to spin out of control and crash the car.

Also, if you're even mediocre at DIY and have a proper set of tools ($50 would be sufficient to obtain what you need if you have none), the struts replacement is a breeze. And new struts (get all four, do not replace just one) will cost you under $300 (for KYB GR2).

·
Registered
1999 Forester
1 Posts
DIY

Hey TAU, Im in the same boat, I have a 99' Forester and I am somewhat of a DIY kind of guy, all my struts need to be replaced, any suggestions on where to start? Been searching the threads, dont see much of a DIY thread for replacing struts

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Hey TAU, Im in the same boat, I have a 99' Forester and I am somewhat of a DIY kind of guy, all my struts need to be replaced, any suggestions on where to start? Been searching the threads, dont see much of a DIY thread for replacing struts
These instructions are for Swift springs on the SG, but the procedure for assembly and disassembly and installation of the struts on the SF are exactly the same: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/cost-swift-install-62719/#post700189

1 - 4 of 4 Posts