Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2008 hta 68 xti
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was driving my 05 STI today and right when i pushed the clutch in between second and third i heard typical backfire but it was very loud. Then white smoke began pouring out the engine. i stopped the car immidiately and oil was shot out of the hood scoop onto the hood and all over the engine. About an hour later, all the oil was on the ground under the block. I hav a brand new short block in there with only 5 thousand miles. what do u guys think is the issue!??

·
Registered
2000 Forester L NA auto
574 Posts
Ouch! I hope you have a warranty on the motor because that really doesn't sound to good. That sucks. Sorry to hear it.

Kenny

·
Registered
1998 S
22 Posts
i blew out a 2.2T and it mashed up the piston in the #2 cylinder

upon final inspection the piston was in pieces and the valves were mashed out of the head so oil was in the intake, bent the forged rod 45 degrees

this is the only way i see it puking oil onto the hood, where the valves are missing

+1 for warranty for sho, and my engine failed because of high rpm and oil starvation

cross my fingers this is not the case for you

Mich

·
Registered
2008 hta 68 xti
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
talked to the tuner today. something shot through the bottom of the block from a boost spike at 48lbs. 15,000 to fix. probably going to have to part it out anf sell it

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
$15k to fix? Is he going to put a Porsche block in there or something? :crazy:

·
Registered
2008 hta 68 xti
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the short block is 4500 but pullin it out cost 3 grand and it needs all new internals. It also blew a hole through some other things. 15000 is the estimate they gave me

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
holy crap $15k? might as well buy a doaner wreck and swap it for less than half the cost?

·
Registered
2008 hta 68 xti
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it needs a built block. its got a vband 30r kit with 500 whp. i mite be parting out the car so il let u guys kno if im selling the transmission or the turbo

·
Registered
2008 hta 68 xti
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks it seems to be the installation is the problem. its around 4 k to get everything taken out, inspected, and put back in

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5spd
236 Posts
I just paid for a brand new STI shortblock (purchased from Subaru) to go into my car. $1950 for the shortblock and all internals. $1400 for labor. (I had some other work done on top of that so my actual $ was a bit higher.)

Out of curiosity, how did you go about breaking in the engine? I'm in the break-in process on mine and I'm following COBB's procedure.

BTW, 48psi boost spike?! Are you running any kind of gauges?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
2,160 Posts
$15K is outragouse. My Rallispec shortblock was $3k, and the labor for the motor swap is probably going to be between $1500 and $2k

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
2,160 Posts
talked to the tuner today. something shot through the bottom of the block from a boost spike at 48lbs. 15,000 to fix. probably going to have to part it out anf sell it
This whole thing sounds fishy... Why were you on a new shortblock anyway? Did these same guys do the tune on the original shortblock, also did they install this new shortblock?

Other things is, I don't see how it was possible to hit a 48psi boost spike, the BOV and/or wastegate should've been forced wide open way before that and the ecu should've triggered boost or fuel cut also how'd could you hit 48psi during a shift? Then they told you they said something shot through the bottem of the block, but oil came out the hoodscoop first then onto the ground sometime later.

Alot of this stuff doesn't make sense, and I wonder what your tune looks like, and how over-all repudable this tuner is. I would take the car to a different tuner and get a 2nd opinion.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
Crap happens and although it's nice to give a shop the benefit of the doubt based upon that alone, it sure sounds like they are trying to bend you over way past 90 degrees because for 15k, you should be able to engage in space travel for that kind of coin and based upon that alone, personally I wouldn't trust that shop, good luck with it and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Something was neglected or overlooked. If there was plenty of oil in the engine, shop or tuner is responsible.

There is a local WRX guy who had a built engine put together and installed by a local shop. The guy was at the track when the engine spun a bearing, at similar mileage as yours. I'm sure this was due to improper build and too close a tolerance on bearings. You'd be surprised at how many of these "professional engine builders" are part slappers and have no clue what plastigauge is.

$10,000 lesson for that WRX owner.

Stan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts