Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
04 Forester XT MT
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm a little ashamed to admit it but when i put in the new intercooler i put in a cheesy ebay blow off valve cause i'm cheap. Well a few days ago my idle got funky and i through a lean code. i checked it out and found the stud and nut were gone from the previously mentioned cheesy blow off valve. I plugged it up with some tape and it still releases pressure. i'm going to find a new stud and nut for it but i wasn't sure what the stud does. if it is some sort of adjustment or what. any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
lol, ebay bov + tape! dude you should stop trying to mod your car haha! thats what you get for putting on a cheap *** bov... why dont you just put the stock one back on? your car will thank you!

·
Registered
04 Forester XT MT
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can't put a forester blow off valve on a impreza style intercooler. and don't judge me on the tape i was in a giant parking lot trying to stop a massive vacuum leak i only had so many options

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
What TMIC are you running? If it's an STi TMIC, just get a cheap stock STi BPV from someone on NASIOC or IWSTI.

·
Registered
04 Forester XT MT
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What TMIC are you running? If it's an STi TMIC, just get a cheap stock STi BPV from someone on NASIOC or IWSTI.
big a** off brand. barely fit. i would get a used one but not only am i cheap but i'm lazy too. I would need an sti hose as well to work with an sti bpv correct?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT SOLD
145 Posts
Yes you would need the STi hose. Not real expensive but harder to install that it would seem time wise. I did one in the last week or so. Removing the old one and the metal piping was a pain.

·
Registered
04 Forester XT MT
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i found a guy on nabisco who said $100 for hose and valve does that sound like a good deal? sounds kinda high to me for a 6 year old used valve

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,095 Posts
Sounds high to me too, I got a new bypass valve for 35 shipped on e-bay. I used this guy

eBay My World - android_ver7

he seemed to have other Subaru stuff you might want to check. You might be able to put a forester BOV on there though. I have the bottom part of a valve if you want me to send it to you to check. Just a thought. I just measured it and the holes are 10.5 cm center to center.

I thought the WRX and WRX STi BOV's bypass ports faced down and not up like the Forester? I'm doing this from memory so I can't be positive. Looks to me like the BOV you have is for the Forester.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Back to original Q, yes the stud/nut is an adjustment for blow off pressure by preloading the spring......

Simon

·
The Modfather
8,095 Posts
and if it's leaking air / vac through the hole the bolt goes in, then I suspect your diaphragm is damaged. AFAIK it should not leak anything. Like Simon said, it adjusts the spring tension. Without the bolt I guess it's at minimum tension and then it will open at a lower boost. I've never had an after market bypass valve so I'm taking a SWAG though.

·
Banned
00 version1
48 Posts
I have a good deal on a STI TMIC. But seems like know one sells them with the STI BOV. I was thinking about getting a EBAY BOV too. Good thing I saw this thread. Searching through NASIOC and IWSTI there aren't to many people selling there STI BOV. Anybody? Sorry for thread jacking.. .Peaty???

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
and if it's leaking air / vac through the hole the bolt goes in, then I suspect your diaphragm is damaged.
Hmm I don't manifold pressure is applied above the diaphragm to suck it open when you lift off.......so if the stud falls out its a leak to manifold.

Simon

·
The Modfather
8,095 Posts
You are right, I was thinking, pressure leaking not from inside the IC not the vac line to the manifold, my mistake. I wonder if he can unscrew the fitting that screws into the side where the Vac line goes in and see if that fits in the hole where the bolt fell out. Just to see what the thread pitch is. Then take that to the hardware store to match it to a bolt and nut so he can at least get it plugged and working again?

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
^^Thats what I would do for a short term fix. Long term, the STi BOV hose is roughly $20 from the dealer. You can pick up a used STi BOV for $20-40 bucks. No reason to mess with a fleabay BOV at those prices...

·
Registered
04 Forester XT MT
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I found another guy would said he would give me the valve for like 10 bucks. doesn't know if he has hose. but if the hose is that cheap from the dealer than i'll have a properly functioning blow off valve soon :icon_razz: thanks for all your help guys

1 - 20 of 23 Posts