thinking of getting a blow off valve just for the sound alone
any suggestions

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Don't do it...
+1

From what I can read on these units and subarus.
Subaru turbo engines uses BOV recirc units instead of the other kind that vents to atmosphere.
I belive that if you install a type that vent to atmosphere you will loose power.

Of course I could be all wrong about this so anyone wiser can step in and correct me.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
Do a short ram intake, it will get you 75% of the vent to atmosphere sound with no real side effects. There are usually all kind of turboxs RFL BOV's for sale on ebay and NASIOC. You will eventually get tired of it and sell it, so if you want to still get one get one used. By the way welcome to the forum and I promise we won't be this hard on you down the road. The reason a vent to atmosphere BOV's are a bad idea is all of the air that you are releasing is already accounted for by the ecu. What does this mean? The ecu has measured the amount of air going through the intake, when you release this air the ecu will put fuel in anticipating the air to be there. So what ends up happening is you are too rich and you will lose power especially during shifts and sudden drops in throttle. Again welcome to the forum and look around for what is best for your foz. Here you go read up BOV FAQ

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,786 Posts
Welcome.

Most people on here do not run aftermarket BOVs and will tell you not to install one, but it's your car and your money. Just do your homework and if you end up buying one, get a good quality piece that won't cause a chain reaction of problems with your engine, causing it to break. Dave's BOV FAQ is a good read.

Stan

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
292 Posts
If you do get a aftermarket BOV, pay the money and get a good one or it will leak during pressure build up. I've seen a couple of cheap ebay ones that have leaked and reduced the amount of PSI that could have been produced.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Limited
11 Posts
I'm new to the Forester Family but will chime in my 2 cents. As all the others said, Do not get a BOV that is atomospheric. If you really want the cool sound try looking at the Perrin Recirc. The Perrin recirc is a really nice piece thats adjustable depending on how much boost you want to hold on the high or low end. All in all the factory BPV is more reliable and can hold boost w/ out leaking then most after market. Or as others said go w/ the CAI and you'll get the woosh sound as well. Keep us posted on what road you take.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2008 2.5 xt turbo aut
6 Posts
Welcome.

Most people on here do not run aftermarket BOVs and will tell you not to install one, but it's your car and your money. Just do your homework and if you end up buying one, get a good quality piece that won't cause a chain reaction of problems with your engine, causing it to break. Dave's BOV FAQ is a good read.

Stan
Agreed. I have a bov (2008 fxt). No problems at all. Didn t have any performance problems too. With AT, when you want wild revs, you never have to raise your feet from trotle so if there is any ecu (never happened with me) rich mixture, you won t notice it. Have fun dude.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts