Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: :mob: :confused:

Alright everyone, I'm new to the forum so hello :)

OK, here's the situation, my 1998 Subaru Forester Recently underwent some changes and I am now experiencing some problems. I replaced the head-unit out with a new one by Kenwood and Hooked up a box set up two 12" Sub-woofers. Everything works, but now I am getting this random problem.

What happens is that the lights on the outside (Front and Rear Blinkers) Will blink monotonously 30 Times, pause, and then blink 30 more times, and it is draining my battery dry and I don't know how to get it to stop! Oh and the dashboard also flashes in sync with the blinkers on the outside of the car, and it makes the noise as if I have a turn signal on. Being my stupid self I re-opened the dash under my steering wheel and saw some wires that weren't connected. I stupidly put a lose wire into another and it blew one of the fuses (Fuse 16). Haha I will run up to the hardware store and grab a new one later, but With or without that fuse blown it still has the problems.

What can I do? I took it to a car stereo shop and they wanted $50.00 an hour to fix it and I'm in high school so I don't really have money to spend like that, so I came across this website. I'm pretty sure it's an easy fix. Here are some pictures: (Descriptions are BELOW the image)

Please help me fix this problem!!! ANYTHING HELPS!!!

My New SUBS!!!

I have to unplug the battery so the lights don't drain it out.

When I went to open this part up, those green wires were NOT hooked up together, but I assumed they should be(?) Didn't fix the problem however and didn't seem to do anything.

That's on the right side of my car under the dash below the steering wheel, everything seems to be in order there.

Cords that hook up the flood light and Cruise button I think

OK I have no idea what that thing is that is hanging out if you push the top it is like a button but it seems like it should be screwed onto something

Fuses. All WERE good until I blew number 16 on accident :/

Again another view of those green clips. There are also to black ones that are not plugged into anything but I don't see what they would plug into....

Another View of the Cruise/Flood lights or something of that sort.

That's all the pictures I took, if you need more I can get them easily so just ask. Thank you soo much!!!

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Sorry. You need 15 more posts to get your question answered.

Seriously, it sounds like you've got your wires crossed (no pun intended). But you prob already knew that. Fuses look good, but I wouldn't go connecting anything you're not sure of again. If I were in your shoes, I'd have a schematic of the car's electrical connections (if you can get one).

I know there are plenty of folks on this forum who have extensive sube electrical know-how. Though, you may have to bite the bullet and start saving your allowance for some professional assistance. I mean, if you had the cheddar for that box, why not kick down some scrilla to someone who can whip it back into shape in a day. $50/hour is freakin great.

Sorry I can't be of help. But welcome. I don't think I'll ever forget the name "ForesterMaN."

·
Registered
1998 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry. You need 15 more posts to get your question answered.

Seriously, it sounds like you've got your wires crossed (no pun intended). But you prob already knew that. Fuses look good, but I wouldn't go connecting anything you're not sure of again. If I were in your shoes, I'd have a schematic of the car's electrical connections (if you can get one).

I know there are plenty of folks on this forum who have extensive sube electrical know-how. Though, you may have to bite the bullet and start saving your allowance for some professional assistance. I mean, if you had the cheddar for that box, why not kick down some scrilla to someone who can whip it back into shape in a day. $50/hour is freakin great.

Sorry I can't be of help. But welcome. I don't think I'll ever forget the name "ForesterMaN."
Urg Ok where can I get a schematic? And also I have money, but I don't want to go blow 50 bucks if there is just an easy fix, ya know?

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
If you haven't found the answer yet, first unplug the green connectors and leave them unplugged (forever).
Secondly that dangling button is to reset the ECU/ECM after the battery has been disconnected. With the key in the on position press the button that should reset everything
Also if you have a remote key fob with you pressing the unlock/lock buttons will reset the above.

Most important if this has worked for you. Now disconnect the battery and put it on a battery charger to bring it back to a better level. If you say you are going to drive it to charge it, WRONG, driving it basically maintains the battery at that level, it will never fully charge it.

Good Luck and keep us posted as to how it works out.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you haven't found the answer yet, first unplug the green connectors and leave them unplugged (forever).
Secondly that dangling button is to reset the ECU/ECM after the battery has been disconnected. With the key in the on position press the button that should reset everything
Also if you have a remote key fob with you pressing the unlock/lock buttons will reset the above.

Most important if this has worked for you. Now disconnect the battery and put it on a battery charger to bring it back to a better level. If you say you are going to drive it to charge it, WRONG, driving it basically maintains the battery at that level, it will never fully charge it.

Good Luck and keep us posted as to how it works out.
THANK YOU EVERYONE! I got it working, but I hadn't read the last couple of posts :) What I actually did was unplug the green connectors, I ACCIDENTALLY put the key in the ignition and turned it to try and start it with no luck bcuz the battery was not plugged up, so I left the key in the ignition to the on position, replaced that blown fuse, and then hooked the battery up. After the battery sparking just a little the car immediately turned on and the problem had somehow solved itself! So glad I didn't pay $50.00 an hour to get that fixed, I knew I could fix it some stupid way. At least stupidity played in my favor this time :icon_wink:

Anyways thank you so much for all the help! I read the first response and followed it to another thread, that's how I pretty much realized it was just more of a "Software" problem than a hardware problem. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Did you unplug the green plug? If not, do it NOW.
EDIT: Sorry, still learning to read. Saw you did it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts