Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced the battery in my 98 Forester. Everything was just fine prior - including passing my emissions test 2 days ago. After I put the new battery in, however, the check engine light is blinking and doesn't seem to want to go out. Car is running fine. Is this just the computer resetting? Will the light go out after it's done retesting everything or will I need to use a code box to reset the light?
thanks!
m

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,251 Posts
That doesn't sound right. I just put a new Optima in our 98 without a check engine light.
Try this, disconnect the battery. Then press the brake pedal and wait 10 minutes. Reconnect the battery. Hopefully the check engine light will then go away.

Good luck,

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
SuperRu said:
That doesn't sound right. I just put a new Optima in our 98 without a check engine light.
Try this, disconnect the battery. Then press the brake pedal and wait 10 minutes. Reconnect the battery. Hopefully the check engine light will then go away.

Good luck,
Is that just draining the capacitors to reset the ECU?

·
Administrator
14,797 Posts
Yes, this resets the ECU.
If you want to re-tune after re-connecting the battery then start the car - don't touch anything. Wait 10-15 mins till it reaches normal operating temp. then switch if off. Now restart your newly tuned car and off you go!:D

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem Solved

Turns out, the previous owner had connected a small green connector (t-shaped with one wire attached to either connector) located beneath the dash to to left of the clutch, behind the fuse panel array. Apparently this put the car into a default self-diagnostic loop. Pulled them apart and viola! - no more self-diag.
Thanks to the fine folks at Suba Rupair here in Boulder for the fast, free diagnosis.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts