Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5 Speed
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2006 forester xt with 130k miles and im fairly sure i have a blown motor. a compression test will likely confirm this in a few days so now i am weighing my options. is it more cost effective to drop in a used motor or rebuild the one i have? used motors don't seem too expensive and i could recoup some cost by selling parts of my old engine and any extra parts that may come with the new one that i don't need.

i am not going to build my motor...but would i benefit by at least dropping in a set of forged pistons? im currently running an 18G at 17 psi and will likely stay with this turbo and maybe tune for higher boost with some bigger injectors. i want to make around 325 whp safely as this car will be driven 15-18k miles a year. it lasted about 30k miles with the turbo upgrade before blowing up this time, but it was done on an already tired 100k motor.

also a few side questions...do i have to get a forester XT engine? or can i use a 2.5 dohc turbo motor from the 06+ wrx as well? what about legacy and sti motors?

thanks for any help and insight.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
The '06-'07 WRX engine should be same as '06-'08 FXT. The STi engine has lower compression ratio, which is nice.

What exactly is wrong with yours, cracked piston/ringland? Your heads may be fine, you could just get a new short block, get your heads checked out and run them. I believe you can get a 2.5l shortblock with forged (or so-called forged (spun-cast, stronger than stock)) pistons for $2,500. If anything, I'd do the pistons -- the rest should be fine. You could do head work, but that will get crazy expensive very quickly, and then you'll want cams, etc...

I would not look on eBay. I'd probably trust whomever would be installing it and go with their source, even if it's a big more expensive.

I think STi rods are same as ours, they are forged. Crank is cast in both STi and our engines, I believe.

Stan

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
I would look into the Rallispec and RAW performance street shortblocks. They both have a proven track record and plenty of reviews.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5 Speed
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the help so far. im not sure what the problem is yet, i will know more once a local shop tears it apart a bit. but i have had what felt like misfiring issues for a while now, but never threw a check engine light. car idles funky, burns oil, frequently goes into an odd 10 psi limp mode, ticks like a sewing machine, etc.

i had a recent issue (unrelated to my problems) with spark plug threads gettign stripped in one of the cylinders. i used a spark plug repair kit from an auto parts store and was able to fix it that way...but if im going to have the motor out or apart, i feel like i should repair it the right way. does that mean get a new (used) head too?

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
spend a few extra bucks and just go w/ a new oem or built shortblock. i dont like the idea of drop ins, the motor will never be tight again. your heads should be fine, just have them clean up the heads and be done w/ it. youve opened a can of worms w/ this project. while its apart its a smart time to start replacing everything, but that can get expensive fast. figure out your budget and try to stick w/ it...

your motor has been unhealthy for a long time now. it just finally gave in... do it once, do it right the first time!

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5 Speed
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
and yes the kinugawa is still treating me well. it is a little hard to tell since my motor stutters and such now, but it still hits target boost and doesn't flutter. it has become a bit louder though, but im not sure it has any impact on performance.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
stop looking @ used motors /story! you are buying somebody elses problems, think to yourself why are they getting rid of it and not using it themselves... if your going to cheap out be prepared to just light your money on fire...

if you really must buy used try to find a jdm motor or look for a usdm dismantler like millenium auto. however there are no warranties or guaranties w/ something like that. good luck w/ whatever you decide.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
I would contact Jackie at Annapolis and find out what a new STI shortblock will set you back with our forum discount. This would also let you get the newer 08+ STI block with the cool nitride coating on the crank. This will give you a measuring stick to judge all other potential blocks. So if you still are looking for a used block and could get a new one for say $400-500 more then go new.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5 Speed
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for all the suggestions. right now i am leaning towards buying a brand new block (probably sti oem shortblock), and a pair of used heads. any recommendation for the head? what OEM heads will work and which are best?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts