Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a firm believer in conventional wipers.. I've used Bosch Icons and Michelin Hydroedge wiper blades.

IMO, both failed miserably, as soon as they get worn a little the blades starts to smudge everything on the windshield. Whereas the conventional ones produce streaks, I'd choose the streaks than smudgeness.

what do you prefer..?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thats a load of bull. I've had bosch icons on my cherokee that have been wiping mud and ice and dirt for over one and a half years and they are still going strong. Ive had them on my other vehicles and will buy them for my new subie as soon as I save up some dough. I also use rain-x that helps keep the wiper blades lubricated so they don't dry out and skip and all that. Good stuff.

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sport XT 5MT
737 Posts
I haven't noticed much difference between 'conventional' or the newer Icons in my other cars.
The Fozz used the factory for nearly 2 years and now am running Suby 'aero' for the '09 on my '07.
No snow here - fair amount of rain though... I use Rain-X

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
Ran Bosch, and now rain-x... will be going to standards when these wear a little more.
Since you have a MY09 Burnie the blades get replaced under warranty! My dealer tried to replace the OEM (aero blade type) with the conventional (holes in blade assembly) ones. I told him I wanted the original type and I got them.........free of charge,,,,well at least until the warranty runs out.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
The standard Rain-X wipers suck in the snow... you may have noticed that they offer a snow & ice blade now. The regular ones are awesome in the summer though!

I use conventional blades, I don't like hot all the aero blades (excluding the '09 blades) make the wiper arms stick way out from the windshield. After having a set of Bosch Icon's on our VW, and having the wiper arms smack the back edge of the hood when they'd return after a cycle... I'm somewhat against all the "aero" wipers on the market. Though I go through wiper blades like crazy... current set lasted less than 12 months.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,137 Posts
Doesn't seem to matter what type of wiper is used down here - aero, conventional, Rain-X, Bosch, cheapies. None that I've tried have survived the Florida summer. All were replaced within 12 months.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,683 Posts
Doesn't seem to matter what type of wiper is used down here - aero, conventional, Rain-X, Bosch, cheapies. None that I've tried have survived the Florida summer. All were replaced within 12 months.
heat+humidity=bad for an rubber. Get metal blades instead :biggrin:

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Premium
22 Posts
I started with some Bosch ICONs on my mazda PR5 a couple years ago and both blades de-laminated from the aero backing within 3 months. Was really ticked, they were really expensive. Went back to some cheap-o standard ones for 12 months and then purchased some of the Rain-x brand Aero blades (broke down, they were on sale). Had them on the mazda for about a year, and they are great. The OEM aeros on the 09 forester are still performing great too, about 11 months old so far.
I had forgotten about the warranty replacement for those, thanks for the reminder!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
So, what's the recommendation? Change them every 12 months?
That really depends on use and non-use. I change mine upon need. If they go 12 months, which really doen't happen in FLA, then I check the performance and if OK I leave them if no then change. I don't look at wiper blade replacement like an oil change or A/F, (intervals).

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
I use the michelin "beam" type wipers (latitude?). They're half the price of the icons and imo work better than anything else on the market. The rubber is great, they wipe perfectly, and they keep working all winter. I put them on all my family and friend's cars and everyones been impressed. Not sure if they still do it, but they used to have a 2 year warranty on the blades. I've also never had them smudge or anything. I don't really like jointed wipers, although the 09+ style aero wipers are decent, but I like that I don't have to change these for winter. The only downside, is like someone else mentioned, that they do push the arm away from the windshield a bit, so they have a taller profile, but it usually doesn't get too much in my way.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,137 Posts
Have you tried RainX or Aquapel? That should help a lot.
RainX yes. Good stuff in Florida "frog choker" downpours (especially at highway speeds), but it causes a persistent film of condensation on the windshield when dew has settled overnight. I have to drive through active school zones in the morning, so problems with a window that wants to keep fogging up (external) isn't acceptable.

Never heard of Aquapel.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
The standard Rain-X wipers suck in the snow... you may have noticed that they offer a snow & ice blade now. The regular ones are awesome in the summer though!
+1 to that. I was running Rain-X ones last year and they sucked in the snow and ice and were much better in the summer.

But now, I'm running Michelin somethings. They ALSO suck in the snow. When they get cold, they stay straight and only scrape the last 2-inches of the edge of the wiper (and leaves the middle un-wiped) I had to leave the wiper heaters on and eventually they contoured back to the windshield. But I'll probably never use the Michelin's again.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you read the back of most wiper blade boxes they recomend replacement within 12 months. Some have 2 year warrantys and others made by the same company but are a lesser grade have only a 6 month warranty. Gotta read the fine print.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts