Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
541 - 560 of 578 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT / 2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,680 Posts
1st oil change at 7300 km.
The sodium is interesting and I don’t recall sodium being in the factory fill before. I need to look up some other ff uoa’s. Sodium has actually been shown to promote LSPI so I don’t think it’s a new addition to the oil.

edit: Found another factory fill uoa that showed sodium. I believe they’re also using sodium in the regular Idemitsu oil from the dealer. Subaru should have Idemitsu reformulate this oil to be API SN+ but knowing Subaru they’ll just wait until GF6 in 2020.

A 2016 article:

The next test assessed a formulation containing a mixture of 0.159% calcium and 0.042% sodium. Here the mixture almost doubled the LSPI activity when compared to the effect of calcium alone. This implies that sodium is a more aggressive LSPI promoter in the presence of calcium.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,797 Posts
Total waste of time doin a uoa before 20k miles. Not slamming you. Your results are totally as expected

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Our 2018 Crosstrek has an issue with fuel in the oil. Wanted to make sure there was no issue with the Forester.
In that case, I would recommend switching to a lab that does an actual test for fuel like Oil Analyzer’s Inc. Blackstone only does an estimation and OAI has the ability to test using Gas Chromatography. Fuel % using GC is always higher than an estimate.

·
Premium Member
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,632 Posts
Did a lot of work on my SG before this oil change. Was using Idemitsu Zepro Touring (first sample) and was concerned as on very cold startup there was some terrible knocking...thought it was the oil and changed to Amsoil SS. Curiously enough it went away after that oil change but later diagnosed the knocking to be the new timing belt tensioner (OE Brand NTN, but not OEM part). Replaced it and saw the wear marks where it was improperly dampened and smacking against the block. New OEM one solved that problem. (NTN but Subaru part number and slightly different design)

That said right before this oil sample of Amsoil SS I replaced the OCVs and pickup tube so silicon is high from the pan's sealant and there's likely a slight bit of elevated metals from those new parts....will see on next change. Decided to give Valvoline Adv Syn a go this time around.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oil Analyzer’s did my OA and provided no information on fuel dilution. I emailed them to ask why not and they just sent me a new report. It is different from the one from last week. Fuel was at 2.6% which is not good. Lots of highway driving. I always smelled fuel when I check the oil.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Oil Analyzer’s did my OA and provided no information on fuel dilution. I emailed them to ask why not and they just sent me a new report. It is different from the one from last week. Fuel was at 2.6% which is not good. Lots of highway driving. I always smelled fuel when I check the oil.
OA doesn’t always test for fuel by GC if it’s in grade. Just request it each time and they will though. Edit: Now I see that the original one was blank.

2.6% fuel is fairly normal for Subaru DI and the DIT’s usually show 2-5% even with highway driving.

·
Registered
2000 Forester 4eat
116 Posts
I just did another oil analysis. I used ALS Tribology. 2000 Forester 310,xxx miles. Oil was Motul 5w40 with 1/4 of a quart of 5w30 subaru synthetic at 2600 miles after oil change. This was a 3500 oil change. I do them every 3000 with synthetic. I am going to switch back to the Subaru Synthetic as the car seems to like it better.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
2020 Foz Sport Delivered Nov 22nd 2019

Did my UOA on the 6 month anniversary @4533KM ( drive to work is 12 mins @ 10.3km 95% city 5% hwy on weekends)
2020 Sport.PNG
My 18' Xtrek when I owned it the first UOA @ 4 months showed a 5.8% Fuel in oil so it was definitely diluted and was concerning but the remainder 2 were @0.5-1% each time. (4mo, 9mo, 14mo) Intervals were done to move them to winter/ shoulder season so I don't have to drive longer than necessary on Factory rubber with the loaner.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
2020 Foz Sport Delivered Nov 22nd 2019

Did my UOA on the 6 month anniversary @4533KM ( drive to work is 12 mins @ 10.3km 95% city 5% hwy on weekends)
View attachment 537327
My 18' Xtrek when I owned it the first UOA @ 4 months showed a 5.8% Fuel in oil so it was definitely diluted and was concerning but the remainder 2 were @0.5-1% each time. (4mo, 9mo, 14mo) Intervals were done to move them to winter/ shoulder season so I don't have to drive longer than necessary on Factory rubber with the loaner.
I like how they say that viscosity was a "little low". The viscosity is actually a 12 grade so it dropped two viscosity grades. Blackstone estimates fuel so the actual fuel dilution is probably much higher. That short drive is probably one reason for the dilution. DI is another.

·
Premium Member
14,797 Posts
Not faulting you but doing a UOA with less than 20K miles is a waste of time. I have 17.7 K Miles on the wife's '18XT. I changed oil at 16K miles. I will do a change at 22.5K miles and waste my time and $$$ doing a UOA....lol.
Glad you posted. Interesting to see the amount of moly in there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not faulting you but doing a UOA with less than 20K miles is a waste of time. I have 17.7 K Miles on the wife's '18XT. I changed oil at 16K miles. I will do a change at 22.5K miles and waste my time and $$$ doing a UOA....lol.
Glad you posted. Interesting to see the amount of moly in there.

I work on Aircraft for a living, Oil (Eastman 2380 @ 5cSt @100C) is changed once every 12-18 months or 1000hrs whichever is first, probably burns 1qt every 10-20 hours of operation time.

Trend monitoring is simply just a thing we do and I wanted to know, yes it's $25 USD + Shipping to Blackstone for me ($10USD ish In Canada to the US every time), but it's a peace of mine once every 6 months.

I don't deny that yes a brand new engine may be a waste of money, and I only drive around 10-12K KM per year.

Below is Virgin Mobil 1 0W-20 that I put in my Crosstrek and use the same stuff in the Forester. Yes to you it's a waste of money but if I have a baseline on the condition/ additives in the oil that I am using, Blackstone's testing methods vs other companies variables are not a part of the equation for tolerance differences.

tempsnip.png

There are people who don't bother with ever doing maintenance on their vehicles and drive them into the ground. I choose to maintain to a higher standard and be able to track engine wear (Or lack thereof) since there will always be some every time the engine spins. Canada doesn't help to be -30C in the winter and pre-heating 5 minutes to drive 13 minutes to work.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

·
Premium Member
14,797 Posts
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
And of course I am not taking issue with your doing the analysis for sure.!! I worked in nuclear power for 30 years as a maintenance supervisor. I looked at thousands of UOA's but even though I knew more about oils than engineering, They were the ones "tasked" with checking that data. And of course we were very diligent in insuring that our PM (Predictive Maintenance) was up to snuff on all equupment.

SI (spark ignition) engines are a whole other kettle of fish. At <15K miles, silicons, irons, and copper are through the roof. And those high numbers have everything to do with wear in and little to do with long term health of the engine. Of course very high chromium and presence of potassium can indicate problems as well as can fuel dilution. If I see there is no coolant usage I can pretty much tell its not gonna have that problem. So from a practical standpoint the 58 iron, 93, cu, and 330 silicon are not a red flag at that mileage. At25K miles..its a problem. And in any case its subaru's problem, not mine as I have the extended warranty.

And any person who does UOA's will say dark oil is no indication of a problem. To me it is a problem..it almost always means there is a ring problem. So far at 13,000 and 17,000 neither subaru engine is consuming any measurable oil. That in spite of the fact (or perhaps bc of the fact) that both saw redling at 100 miles. But we'll see when I do a 20,000+ mile UOA for the XT.

BTW the add-pack of Mobil appears weak..but you can bet that its UOA will be no worse than any other oil. I do use QS Ultimate Durability but won't claim it to give better results than SuperTech oil.

·
Registered
2020 2.5i, White, Gray Interior.
49 Posts
1st oil change at 7300 km.
I was looking at your oil analysis. I see in your post that the interval is 7300km but not where in the oil analysis do I see the that listed. It that information masked out with
your personal information?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was looking at your oil analysis. I see in your post that the interval is 7300km but not where in the oil analysis do I see the that listed. It that information masked out with
your personal information?
It is on the report. Lube added only allows whole numbers.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Completely normal for direct injection. No real worries until consistently over 5%.

·
Registered
2017 XT
21 Posts
2.6% fuel is fairly normal for Subaru DI and the DIT’s usually show 2-5% even with highway driving.
Ok, so I have the DIT, why doesn't the fuel (much more volatile than oil) "boil" off? Is it the heavier components of gasoline? What was a common dilution percentage of a carbureted (good grief, spell check didn't even know the spelling and kept jacking it to carbonation) engine?

The dilution more than anything (other than marketing) was the primary driver of 3,000 mile OCI.

You know, this oil stuff is worse than Alice in Wonderland and predicting the life of the engine through it's lube - "It's no use going back to yesterday, because [my engine] was a different [machine] then." I want my car to run perfectly until two weeks after I sell it. I want the car I buy used to run perfectly until 2 weeks after I sell it - and that may be at 300k miles! Like my 2002 Tacoma (I'm sorry I ever doubted you, my favorite truck)

541 - 560 of 578 Posts