Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
501 - 520 of 578 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Second report on my 2005 FXT. They're starting to suspect coolant in the oil. I haven't noticed any coolant consumption in the year and a half I've owned the car. It got new coolant right after I got it.

EDIT: they say no potassium, just sodium. So they really aren't sure if it's coolant. My wife has an 05 NA Chevy Cobalt that gets the same on its reports with Mobil 1 (some sodium, no potassium) maybe something environmental or I'm causing contamination of the samples? I don't think the Cobalts are know for HG problems. I've sent my new WRX's oil in for a sample too and it doesn't show as much sodium. However the local Subaru dealer did that change (taking advantage of my warranty/maintenance plan). I changed the oil in the WRX this time so it'll be interesting to see if the sodium spikes on my next report with it.

However, I did use some Suabru Oil Flush on the Forester's oil change before last to clean out the AVCS solenoids. It was recommended by a Subaru tech after I got a code. It did degunk those things pretty well. I'm not sure if that could be responsible for the sodium or not. Any ideas if that amount of sodium would show up as coolant loss?

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5X
7 Posts
Second report on my 2005 FXT. They're starting to suspect coolant in the oil. I haven't noticed any coolant consumption in the year and a half I've owned the car. It got new coolant right after I got it.

EDIT: they say no potassium, just sodium. So they really aren't sure if it's coolant. My wife has an 05 NA Chevy Cobalt that gets the same on its reports with Mobil 1 (some sodium, no potassium) maybe something environmental or I'm causing contamination of the samples? I don't think the Cobalts are know for HG problems. I've sent my new WRX's oil in for a sample too and it doesn't show as much sodium. However the local Subaru dealer did that change (taking advantage of my warranty/maintenance plan). I changed the oil in the WRX this time so it'll be interesting to see if the sodium spikes on my next report with it.

However, I did use some Suabru Oil Flush on the Forester's oil change before last to clean out the AVCS solenoids. It was recommended by a Subaru tech after I got a code. It did degunk those things pretty well. I'm not sure if that could be responsible for the sodium or not. Any ideas if that amount of sodium would show up as coolant loss?
Did you mention using the flush on the information slip when you sent it in? Did the sodium show up in prior testing, or just this time?

EDIT: Just went back and saw it was there in your last sample too according to the report

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did you mention using the flush on the information slip when you sent it in? Did the sodium show up in prior testing, or just this time?

EDIT: Just went back and saw it was there in your last sample too according to the report
Did not, but I gathered the sample before I added the flush. I just emailed them asking if that could be the culprit.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Premium PZEV 4sp AT
154 Posts
When I got the Forester back in May I put in 5W30 Valvoline Full Synthetic Max Life. I changed the oil again in August with the same Valvoline Maxlife. Did my third oil change two weeks ago but switched to German Castrol 0W40, my old Passat ran great with it. When I changed it the last time I decided to do an engine analysis to get an idea of the engine condition. Here it is. When I do the next change I'll see how the Casrtol does.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,802 Posts
Allow me to tell you that you could easily go 7500 miles on this oil as long as you keep the oil level up.

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
Wowzers

It's been a while since I've posted on the forum (I've been lurking about though), but this surprised the poop out of me so I thought I'd share.

2005 XT 4EAT, 91k miles, stock engine, Cobb stage 1 remap, K&N panel air filter in the OE box, Mobil1 5W/40 T&SUV (now labeled Turbo Diesel Truck), Wix 57712XP filter. Oil's been running for 5 years, 17k+ miles (yeah, I let this one get away from me, but the air filter has been cleaned a few times)! Analysis shows oil is still within limits! I don't think I'm going to let it run that long again, but it's nice to know there's a large margin. YMMV.

As a side note, there was some discussion in this thread a few years ago regarding the tendency of Mobil1 oils to shear down one level (xW/40 becoming xW/30) after a few thousand miles. A theoretical question was posed as to whether the oil would thicken up after a while and it appears that there is now some evidence to support this idea.

·
Registered
2004 FXT / 2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,680 Posts
Wow! At least wear metals are normal. It probably would have been interesting to see an oxidation reading on an OAI analysis. The fuel probably would have been higher than BS's estimate as well.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,802 Posts
159,420 on the clock 50/50 Highway/local. Subaru Filter replaced midway thru run. Oil use including filter change was 2.5 quarts. I wasn't going to do TBN but to prove to to myself that TBN is not required I got it.

Vehicle had HG changed at 125K miles. Timing belt, WP,idlers, and tensioner changed at 110K miles. I plan on running this thing til it (or me) dies. Great car. Its the 2.5NA engine

[/quote]

·
Registered
596 Posts
EJ253 M1 0w-40 UOA

Decided to do a UOA out of curiosity, and figured I'd share it with the community.

Vehicle is a 2010 5mt with just under 69,000. I certainly drive this car very hard (once it is up to temp). The oil has been in service for 7 months and 4,500 miles, with most days over 90*F this summer.

This oil also has several autocross days on it, totally maybe 15-16 total runs. It's the "old" VISOM based Mobil 1 0w-40, not the new GTL "FS" stuff that's been phased in recently.

Other than oxidation (which I don't have a baseline for), this sample looks pretty decent. I did mess up sampling my first try, and had to use the oil column above the oil filter to fill the jar. That certainly washed contaminants off of the exterior of the filter, so silicon, potassium, and sodium are likely higher than they should be.

Air filter is standard purolator, and oil is the PureOne PL14460.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,349 Posts
2017 with 0w20 Subaru oil. 4,000 miles on the oil shows it in a mid range 20 weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
452 Posts
2015 Forester 2.5L, 1500 mi on my sample, 12k on the engine. Good report so looks like I can extend oil changes quite a bit (especially once the warranty is over). I've used the severe service schedule (4k or 4 mos) because 90% of my driving is short stop and go city driving so I was concerned how that was affecting my oil/engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 FXT / 2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,680 Posts
kōbai-iro;6639498 said:
2015 Forester 2.5L, 1500 mi on my sample, 12k on the engine. Good report so looks like I can extend oil changes quite a bit (especially once the warranty is over). I've used the severe service schedule (4k or 4 mos) because 90% of my driving is short stop and go city driving so I was concerned how that was affecting my oil/engine.

No reason that you can't extend to 6k

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
452 Posts
Yeah that's the regular interval per Subaru anyway and my excellent results don't seem to indicate a need to continue with a severe service schedule so I'll test again after 6k.

501 - 520 of 578 Posts