Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something troubling is happening with my 99 forester EJ25 SOHC. I just changed spark plugs, water pump, HG, misc seals, oil sep plate. Before doing this repair the car wasn't eating oil.

After the changes I am eating about a quart every 500 miles and am spraying sooty water out the tail pipe. There are NO leaks and there is no smoke out of the tailpipe (unless its cold then it appears to be steam). When I had the deads off cylinder #3 had pretty heavy carbon build up but the sleeves didn't seem to be excessively worn.

The car runs fine and has no power loss or anything so I am wondering what is going on here. I did some searches here but my oil consumption combined with the soot issue doesn't seem to be covered.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,581 Posts
What seals were replaced? With all the work that was done, a lot could be wrong. My first guess based on the soot in the tailpipe would be that the HGs aren't sealing right, and you are losing compression in one or more of the cylinders. Who did the HG job?

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I did all of the work myself. I am not seeing cross contamination of coolant with oil visibly so I am hesitant to think this is it. Also it wouldn't explain the amount of oil loss without showing up in the coolant.

Would a compression test help?

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
We had one of our other vehicles exhibit the same issue regarding moisture and soot out the tail pipe. It was so bad it would leave a soot mark on the driveway and payment during the winter when warming up the car. Car ran fine too.

Anyway, it was a HG leak.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We had one of our other vehicles exhibit the same issue regarding moisture and soot out the tail pipe. It was so bad it would leave a soot mark on the driveway and payment during the winter when warming up the car. Car ran fine too.

Anyway, it was a HG leak.
Did it chew through alot of oil?

And funkymokey, no I checked it out and HG weren't on backwards. I never got the heads resurfaced though so I wonder if they just didn't seal properly. Might have to do it again. Not a HUGE deal now that I know how to do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts