Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Manual w/ Ko'2
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 black-out tape that have minor damage. We are talking about 3 little 4mm spot to repair...

I wanted to know if my new black-out tape could be installer over the old one?

Removing them seems like a real pain in the ***, I was thinking about just spot repair the little imperfection, put a little primer-sealer on those spot fix, then when everything is nice and evenly flat install the new black-out piece over it.

Also, is there any specific way of installing them? Are they self-adhesive? I heard something about a specific alcool usage to the surface before applying? (probably just like you do with a lamin-x film, instead of water)
I was also thinking of simply cleaning the surface with 3M adhesion promoter, but I think it may be too sticky and leave more room for bad positioning because you have no way of moving it after. That adhesion promoter make it stick once for good...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 2.5X Auto
17 Posts
The blackout tape you are talking about sounds like the stuff you can buy at your local auto parts store. If you do sand and primer the damaged part to make it level with the surroundings, then you should be able to apply the tape over the top without leaving a dimple. The name-brand tapes usually have an adhesive that seems weak at first but gets stronger within hours (allows repositioning and getting out air bubbles and wrinkles). The big problem with these tapes is that they only last a few years before before the sun and weather wrecks them.

For a permanent solution, you need to look into automotive trim films (such as 3M FPW2003J Premium Blackout Film). This is what a paint shop will use and it is more akin to window tint than sticky tape. Big box and auto parts stores won't normally carry films but an automotive paint supplier will probably have it. When films are applied correctly they will last as long as the paint. The adhesive in unused film has a fairly short shelf life so this isn't the answer to your small dings unless you plan on blacking out more parts. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Manual w/ Ko'2
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The blackout tape you are talking about sounds like the stuff you can buy at your local auto parts store.
Just to clarify, it is the original oem tape from Subaru that I have at home. If I remember right it is labeled 3M.

What are your though about that oem stuff? Do you know the steps of installation? Some tech from subaru told me that you install that tape with a certain type of alcool?

Thanks for input!

·
Registered
2013 2.5X Auto
17 Posts
If you have a piece of the blackout tape with the 3M markings, look closely to see if there is a 3M part number there as well. 3M is really good at putting its literature online and a google search of the part number should show you if need some special application fluid. I suspect you wouldn't need anything more than distilled water.

·
Registered
'17 Impreza Hatchback CVT
835 Posts
A bit of ethanol/isopropanol can ensure your surface is free of any grease/grime before your apply the material, plus it evaporates quickly. +1 on checking the 3M instructions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts