Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2015 LTD w/ Eyesight
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well seems the boy had his first experience with black ice and slid the Legacy into a sign pile. Looks like I will have to replace the left rear door but he also crushed the rocker panel. Now replacing the door is no problem but I do have a question regarding the rocker panel. From what I can tell by the pictures he sent, the last 18 inches of the rocker (from the midpoint of the door to the wheel arch) have been flattened to a degree where it now contacts the bottom of the rear door. Now the question, can you manipulate the rocker back into shape with a slide hammer? I imagine the proper way is to cut and replace but that is beyond my talent level, a slide hammer and bondo is a “can-do”. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Oh, it’s a 1997 Legacy L sedan and the damage is on the left rear door.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
Which part are to talking about?

Is it the inner frame or simply the outer rocker panel?

Part no. 51415AC251 (Outer rocker panel) ~$200

Part no. 51572AC131 (Side Sill, Inner) ~$48

Part no. 96051AC050 (Side spoiler assy.) ~$274

I'd believe that if you don't have the spoiler on the car, then you would be speaking of the outer rocker panel. I'm not sure that you'd want to fatigue the metal by trying to simply straighten it out using a slide hammer. Nowadays, most of the body shops we deal with feel it's safer to replace than to simply hammer and bondo it.

Just my .02

·
Registered
2015 LTD w/ Eyesight
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roo,

Thanks for the quick reply. Now I have emailed you some pics of the damage (I am not certain how to attach pics to a post), so not having seen the damage in person, I am only guessing about the parts damaged. I did do some research and realize there is an inner/outer rocker and some sort of internal reinforement, but again, I am not certain of what is involved. I can appreciate the need to replace metal after taking a pretty solid hit but I am trying to keep the repair bill to a minimum (dang hit on the insurance if claimed!).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts