Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Im about to purchase an XT Limited (yay!)

I need to decide on color.

I am mostly driving this around town (I live in NY) with some highway but NO offroading.

I really like the dark colors. Ive heard people say Black is very hard to keep looking nice. Im wondering whether thats more the case for people offroading, out in mud, etc. or whether thats even for just every day around town driving?

I understand that if a bird poops on it it will show more, but I mean more just the daily drive - will it get to the point where the black will really look BAD if its not washed every single week?

And Im curious whether the Dark Gray color would be any different? Are they both so dark that the concerns are the same?

The other option Id consider is Steel Silver as its lighter but doest look TOO light. Id imagine its lighter enough to make a difference vs. black in terms of upkeep?

Ive read through a few threads that mention some of these issues, but would love to get people to weigh in here and help me decide. Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about the interior? Do you find that the lighter interior holds up? Would a darker interior stay cleaner?

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Premium/Manual
46 Posts
There's a whole thread on interior colors in this same forum, take a look there.

I have a metallic black exterior/black interior 2009. Sharp looking all around, but yes it shows a lot of dust and water spotting. My driveway is packed gravel so I get a little puff of dust every single time I get home.....I didn't think of that when purchasing black! I But I'm happy with it. A little dust never hurt anyone. The exterior colors are only available with one interior color option, so look at the whole package when deciding.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
109 Posts
Our XT is black, and yeah it shows alot of dirt or imperfections. Almost any dark color will do that. My parents XT is the light silver color and it looks clean most of the time, but it's a little tame for my tastes. I'd go with dark gray. I don't see many of those, at least in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
I like the dark gray a lot and don't mind the light interior but don't have small children spilling stuff in the car all the time either and especially like the fact that the plastic exterior trim color nearly matches the body paint.

It stays much cleaner looking than black would but not as clean looking as silver and all in all, I have to say that if I had to do it again, I would pick the same color but the fact is, this just happened to be the only one of it's kind they had available with NAV in the XT so it was just a fortunate accident really.

This is an accurate photo of the dark gray XT, good luck.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X SE
55 Posts
I have the dark grey with the platinum interior on my 2010 and love it! The dark grey shows dirt and fingerprints very easily but when i bought mine they gave me free car washes for life so i go in once a week to get her washed. I also get a full detail every 6 months AND i am not a dirty person so my platinum interior does, and will, stay clean even with a dog.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
943 Posts
I have MY10 XT Limited in Silver Spark, it's a light grey. My wife was the driving force for black car, originally we tried to get a black one but that was already traded. I wasn't too concerned with the color, I really wanted the black leather interior.
After we had the car for about a week, we both agreed that the Silver Spark really looks good on the car. It allows you to see the shadows and lines of the car.
As a bonus, it hides the dirt really well. I always clean my windows when getting gas and the car "looked" pretty clean until I had the dealership do my first oil change and apparently they wash(I use that word loosely) the car. You could now see layer of dirt on the car in a lot of spots, it looked cleaner before they washed it. Bothered me so much, I got the car washed about 45 minutes later.
If you get the Rally Armor UR mud flaps, the silver writing matches really well.
Good luck with the purchase.
Dave

·
Registered
2009 Forester
1,155 Posts
The dark grey shows dirt and fingerprints very easily but when i bought mine they gave me free car washes for life so i go in once a week to get her washed.
free car washes for life = free swirl marks for life

:biggrin:

·
Registered
2011 Sage Green FXP 5 spd
259 Posts
The platinum interior is light grey, not white or off white. I scotchguarded mine, myself, and I love the way it looks and wears.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up with the dark grey (thanks everyone for your opinions).

My initial observations:
1. The exterior looks almost black, the difference is not that noticeable. the black is a bit shinier/glossier looking though.
2. The interior seems to stay A LOT cooler than the black leather. When I tried both at the dealer lot, the black leather was very hot (it was a hot, sunny day). Since getting the car we have been having pretty consistent 80 degrees+ and sunny weather, and with the platinum interior the car never feels hot when I get inside.
3. I have 3 kids. Too soon to tell but it doesnt seem to get that dirty. We have a minivan with similar colored leather and it holds up well.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
188 Posts
I ended up with the dark grey (thanks everyone for your opinions).

My initial observations:
1. The exterior looks almost black, the difference is not that noticeable. the black is a bit shinier/glossier looking though.
2. The interior seems to stay A LOT cooler than the black leather. When I tried both at the dealer lot, the black leather was very hot (it was a hot, sunny day). Since getting the car we have been having pretty consistent 80 degrees+ and sunny weather, and with the platinum interior the car never feels hot when I get inside.
3. I have 3 kids. Too soon to tell but it doesnt seem to get that dirty. We have a minivan with similar colored leather and it holds up well.
I approve. :icon_cool:

My previous two cars were both silver. I like the lighter exterior colors, because scratches don't show as easy. However, when a dark colored car is cleaned, and polished it looks fantastic. I also like the contrasting chrome bumper and door handles.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
I will never again own a car in dark color what a pain in the a... to keep looking neet. Silver is color of my choice hard to see scratches and imperfection, easy to mach if needs to be repainted. Hides almost everything well. May wife has a black CRV this car after 4 years looks ugly, new york same as ct weather condition make the car keep looking good even harder.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I approve. :icon_cool:

My previous two cars were both silver. I like the lighter exterior colors, because scratches don't show as easy. However, when a dark colored car is cleaned, and polished it looks fantastic. I also like the contrasting chrome bumper and door handles.
:woohoo:

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited
106 Posts
I'm new to this world, and just got my subie last saturday (the one in my avatar), and it's in the titanium color, and I must say I'm shocked at how light the color seems stricly based on how cool it has stayed in the car so far, even on 90 degree days. If you want a dark color without the negatives, I would recommend the titanium. Not sure if they are still making it though... sorry if that was useless.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
305 Posts
I didn't have a choice of color if I wanted to get a good deal on a leftover '09 2.5X MT when shopping last June- Only two in the area, only one dealer willing to drop the price and give me the special finance rate-so Steel Silver it is and I've grown to love the color. Hides off road brush scratches and road dirt really well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts