Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 2500X
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since way back in the late 40s so many speedometers & later on tachs have been with black background & basically white numbers though in some cases they have been red to even green numbers.

Problem being sunk into the black dash said needles are hard to see,in the daytime, like in a glance or even trying harder.

In the motorcycle world they started to come out with a light green or cream background & black numbers in the 80s which was good, but so many have gone back to the old black with white numbes. Still some are coming out with almost white shades in the background to black numbers.

Wonder why this has been so backwards in the motorcycle & automotive world YET I have seen some well modified cars are with white backgrounds & black numbers SO are the makers still in the world of dark???

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
313 Posts
In my experience white-on-black is easier/faster to read than black-on-white or similar. The same principle (w-o-b) is used in my wrist whatch (a divers watch).

It depends, of course, on the light as well. I'm currently "down-graded" to a VW Fox (about the cheapest car you can buy - but quite ok) - the dials are black and the needles are orange AND illuminated all day.

Good question though, can this be the new "AT vs. MT" discussion that pops it's head up in many threads? :)

·
Registered
2004 5MT XT
159 Posts
This is a pic (taken five minutes ago) of my 28-year-old watch. Yes, 28 years old. I can read it from across the room, I can read it at acute angles, I can read it in near dark conditions...in other words, it rox0r!!!lol. And yet, I sometimes have a hard time picking up the Fozzie's red indicator hands in bright sunlight. So I come down firmly on the "w.o.b." side of the fence, but the hands have to be white as well.

·
Registered
2006 2500X
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still of interest note that when we read a book, newspaper or such it is black on white which is something we have seen all our lives. Also the same on this forum.

Just that I have noted that my "clocks", if you do not mind the slang, of several previous trucks & cars PLUS so many m/cs was white of black & against the sun or a bright sky I cannot read the needle of the speedo or tach. True all is great at night as all is light up but in daylight one is looking into this tunnel of black along with black background & white numbers---either my eyes are shot or else something else is wrong. I will admit my old SCUBA diving watch is blackground with white dots (a replacement for the prior one that was onder warantee which was white background as is my dress watch). Thing is I have noted some others have agreed with me & apparetly one chap has made his tachometer white background with black numbers while the m/c makers has the speedo in digital so silver/white & black lettering.

I have two fairly recent m/cs & admittely the speedo is digital it is easier to read. True I do not like numbers only & preference is for a needle to be pointing at numbers. Obviously they are black on light silver. I have had some m/cs with tachs & speedo in a very light green background with black numbers & black needle. Very, very easy to read.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts