Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT - EJ251... coulda sworn the badge said 252. Meh.

Started the car this morning and heard this. Let it warm up more after the vid was taken, and it still does it. Not sure what to think, it doesn't increase in volume at higher engine speeds that I can tell. The engine does have a bizarre whine from 2.5-3.5k or so, but it's pretty quiet.

You can hear it, very intermittent, starts right after the beginning of the video. It's deeper sounding in person, as this was taken with my cell. Any ideas? I know the rings are worn, but this is just odd. Do not need this crap right now. :icon_frown:

YouTube - Subaru EJ252, bizarre tap/knock sound, but not the usual kind...

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No ideas? :lol: I don't know either.

I listened to the Forester this morning, it makes no such sound. Oh well.... I'll just keep driving it and keep the oil changed until the rebuilt shortblock goes in this summer.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
From inside the cabin, does it sound like something is dripping? Does the tap like once every 3 secs or something?

I think I might have this issue too, can't figure out what it is..

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
i have an occasional gremlin noise in mine but it doesn't sound like that.

i did get a used Idle Air Control Valve (the thing with electrical connector and bright blue label mounted to the throttle body with 2 screws) and it seems less noisy than the other one, although i'm still not certain this was what caused my noise. i think still hear the noise occasionally and faintly, but it hasn't really been long enough to tell yet. :icon_frown:

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From inside the cabin, does it sound like something is dripping? Does the tap like once every 3 secs or something?

I think I might have this issue too, can't figure out what it is..
From the inside, it sounds the same, just muffled. I guess it could sound like a drip, but it's more mechanical on the outside. Once every few seconds, but sometimes its quieter, sometimes it's louder. :confused: It baffles me. I tried probing around with a broomstick to my ear, but I couldn't find the source.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
I heard goats. :lol:

Very strange noise, though... too loud to be a dripping noise, IMHO.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
95 Posts
I am no expert but it sounds like a bearing or something.

Have you checked your power steering pump, water pump, alternator and AC Compressor pump.

I am hoping it is one of those.

Good Luck !

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I heard goats. :lol:

Very strange noise, though... too loud to be a dripping noise, IMHO.
No, I believe you herd them. (dah-dun-dun...)

Parham Farms - Dairy Goats in West Tennessee

:biggrin:

I am no expert but it sounds like a bearing or something.

Have you checked your power steering pump, water pump, alternator and AC Compressor pump.

I am hoping it is one of those.

Good Luck !
I played with the power steering, turning the wheel back and forth to load it, but it didn't change anything. AC sounds normal as well. The usual 'click' to engage and disengage. I guess it could be the idler mechanism/clutch in the AC, but that's just a guess.

Drove it again today, runs fine. No CEL's, still has that odd whine from 2.5-3.5k, as well as the click in the video. The Forester whines all the time from it's Gates Racing timing belt, but the Outback only does it in a certain RPM range. My car is odd. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
I would remove the timing belt covers and check there. It may be a bouncing ( failing ) tensioner. And the odd whine may be one of the pulleys going bad.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Well, it doesn't sound like anything is loose, like a rod knocking due to a spun bearing, so that's good. I can't really tell which noise you are referring to, but it could be exhaust leak or spinning accessories noise before it'd be something inside the engine.

I'd drain the oil and watch for shiny sparkly stuff in it if I were really worried, then go from there.

Is the noise you are talking about kinda like a diesel engine sound?

Stan

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ferret - I'll check that later. Contacted Sheehy Subaru to see if they replaced the idlers and tensioners last summer when the car was in for its HG repair. I know they changed the TB for me, but my dad has the invoice for the rest of the work. :frown:

Stan - it's the 'click....click...click...' you hear in the video. Spaced about a second apart. It doesn't sound like a spun bearing, I've heard that all too well before in a '98 Mustang Cobra. Ugly, ugly sound.

I am due for another oil change, it's been another 2k miles already. Trying to keep the chrome down from the worn rings (last UOA it was ridiculously high). I just want it to last till May! Then the rebuilt SB will go in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts