Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 XT has almost 100K miles on it, and I can tell the suspension has lost some of it's effectiveness. I've researched different strut brands and have decided that it's worth the money (to me at least) to go with Bilsteins over the KYBs. Does anyone have experience with the Bilstein struts? Also, what is the ride like with the B6 (performance series) versus the B4 (OEM replacement)? The Summit Racing near me has both series. I'd appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I frequent another forum (SAAB) where a member said that KYB stood for “Keep Your Bilsteins”!
I have replaced the rears on my 9-5 with B-6’s as one of the OEM shocks was leaking at 100000 miles and it has made a tremendous difference in ride quality and handling. On that car i do have upgraded sway bars as well which made a big difference as well. Fronts are on order through Summit but the lead time for B-6’s in my application is pretty long so a bit frustrating. I’m sure it would be better for a Subaru.
I am in Michigan and the roads there are horrendous so if your after a soft ride the B-4’s are probably better but if your after handling get the B-6’s. My wife’s Forester will remain stock because she couldn’t care any less but from my experience the Bilsteins are worth every penny!
YMMV but i think you’d be happy
SA

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I had Prodrive's P1 suspension on my `01 RS.... Which were basically Biltein B6's with Eibach springs.

I've been trying for years to locally source Bilstein struts, and not coilovers for my `13 XT. Even going through their site, or calling the SoCal warehouse/R&D, they shrug their shoulders...

I did find a set in Japan, but ridiculously expensive. And in the UK too, but shipping is a PITA.

If you find a set in the states, please let me know. 84k miles on Showa OEMs lowered on sprint springs for 70k miles have taken its toll...

C.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I love Bilsteins I've sold them and put them on my own cars. The last car that I put them on was my then bought new 2002 VW Golf TDI after the car was about six years old and about 100k of commuter driving. I picked the HD replacements over the Sport version as my home town of the San Francisco Bay Area and Northern California has long been plagued with under maintained roads. The HD's were stated as being slightly stiffer than stock. I found them to be too stiff, but my wife did not really notice the difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts