Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased these this past week and they are on their way.

But according to the internet these don't exist. I spent a few hours searching every search engine and old forum i could think of, but I can't find anything on this, and I'm pretty sure they aren't stock JDM STI because I was under the impression those were inverted rear monotube design like the usdm sti.

Can anyone tell me more about these? I'm expecting to take delivery this coming friday.

https://www.japandirectjapanese.com/subaru/forester-2003-2008/jdm-subaru-forester-sti-sg9-sg5-kyb-bilstein-shocks-coil-springs-struts-2003-2008.html

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't seen KYB shocks look like that, however they do look like some old Bilstein shocks that I've sold in the past (I sell all kinds of random stuff on eBay)

Damn, I was hoping someone would know what the hell I just bought. . . . . Well they just arrived in Detroit an hour ago, so I'll post pics and let you all know what the hell I just bought as soon as I get them in hand. Going to try to install them this weekend, I'll let you guys knows how it goes, take pics, before and after measurements, side by side comparison and all that stuff.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
The silver with blue makes me believe they are a Bilstein set. Hopefully they don't need rebuilding out of the box. But if so, you can ship them to Bilstein to have them do it...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SUPPOSEDLY The car only had about 40K Miles on it when they started parting it out, and according to the seller they are 100% functional, so we shall see!

EDIT: WOOHOO! Import Scanned an hour ago in Detroit!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
UPDATE:

I'll post pics when I get off work later today or tomorrow, but I installed the bilstein struts. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I don't think that the car is much lower, maybe 20-25mm, I do have Before/During/After pictures of the install, but they bolted right up without any problems, I'm really surprised my stock suspension was in as good shape as it was but I don't abuse my car, I use it.

Regardless, my girlfriend was sitting in the car next to me and was the one to mention how nice the ride quality was, the complete lack of body roll and no more weird clunky noise. These shocks work VERY well with my perrin f&r sway bars.

So YES, these shocks DO exist, they ARE legit, if you seem them for sale.... buy them and please sell them to me. I need another set for my other SG now. :)

I intended to take pictures of both side by side and compare them in terms of overall size etc, but I didn't have the opportunity, I had a lot to do that day and unfortunately couldn't find my measuring tape, and was too impatient and excited, so I just did it. Sorry guys.

Here's a link to my Journal, I gave a bit more in depth review there and you can see the supporting mods sheet, if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/blake-s-04-fxt-4eat-788865/#post7544441

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got before and after shots with my hand in wheels showing the gap difference after changing to the bilstein, I'll upload those later tonight, getting back to work!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I really wish I'd been able to find some obscure youtube channel in english that could elaborate on these, but I've been skunked in my research except to learn that these were supposedly a factory option in japan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
3 Participants
HeyChris
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing