Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a comment in the current "What trailer hitch to buy" thread about bike racks. Rather than shift the topic from hitches to racks, I'm starting a new thread on racks.

I've also got an Allen rack. www.allenracks.com I did quite a bit of research before buying it. It's as well made as the well known brands, much cheaper, and the horizontal part folds down when not in use to minimize the chance of stabbing people in parking lots or damaging the car or the rack by backing into a building. The vertical part also folds down in order to open the liftgate, though that feature is common among most brands. Allen actually claims that they invented the rack!

Their Model 430 (3-bike) and 440 (4-bike) racks are the only ones that fit the 1-1/4" hitches that we have on Subies.

The top level descriptions on the Web site are pretty minimal, but you can read the manuals on-line and get lots of info.

I got my 3-bike rack at the Dick's Sporting Goods chain for about $100. I haven't given it extremely heavy use, but it's stood up well on a number of 500 mile trips between MD and NH.

P

·
0 Posts
I bought my bike rack from e-trailer at the same time I bought my hitch. E-trailer carries a number of brands and styles of bike racks a number of which fit the 1 1/4" hitch. I bought a Sportrack 2ez as I will be carrying primarily womens bikes and I wanted to be sure there would not be a possibility of damaging the bikes on rough roads. The hitch I got has support racks for both wheels of the bikes. It also folds down for access to the hatch of the car. The bolt holding it to the hitch is easy to remove, so I carry a socket and ratchet so I can remove the rack when biking and store it in car to avoid theft. It also means I don't carry the rack on the car when not needed. I'm completely happy with it.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Here's the rack I use with mine

(yes it is two inch, but you can buy adapters and they work out fine)

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
bullmtnbiker said:
Yakima makes the same exact one in 1 1/4"... well, at least when I bought it.
Yes.. but this was bought for a jeep, and since I drive a forester now I didn't feel like buying a new one :p

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plantgoddess said:
I carry a socket and ratchet so I can remove the rack when biking and store it in car to avoid theft. It also means I don't carry the rack on the car when not needed.
I bought a locking pin when I got my hitch, so I'm comfortable leaving the rack mounted when I'm actively biking.

B

·
0 Posts
Yeah, I got a Allen 3-bike rack. Pretty strong built. easily folded away when no bikes on it, and easily swing backward for the reardoor to open. I like it very much.

But to be objective, I don't think it holds 3-bikes very securely, mainly because, I believe, the 1 1/4' hitch is too small and not strong enough, so that the weight of 3 mountain bikes swing the rack a little during highway driving. :roll: And the screw to secure the rack to the hitch is not well designed. :roll:

I have not tried any other brands. I'm sure they will also have their caveats too. Hope to hear about others experiences.

my 50 cents

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Wow, what timing. I am also looking at hitch-mounted racks. I was going to buy something from e-trailers, but the Allen line looks nice. Hmmm...

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Update to my rack situation: I ordered a Thule/ Sportworks Transport T2. It's a little pricey, but the bikes load up in seconds and there is no frame contact or swinging like the hanging style racks. Also, it pivots downward to allow access into the hatch without having to remove the bikes. I ordered from orsracksdirect.com. I'd reccommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
30 Posts
I know you're all talking about the hitch mounts, mostly, but if anyone is interested in a very tough roof rack, that's not too expensive at all, check out Rocky Mounts. I've had these for a while and they are better than advertised, and better than any rack I've had in the past! Here's a link: http://www.rockymounts.com/index.asp

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Roof racks?

Glad to see these postings on bike racks. I've got a 2006 forester, and I am looking for a rack for a racing road bike. Aside from the difficulty of putting the bike on the roof compared with at the back on a hitch (I don't have a hitch on my car), are there any recommendations regarding the fork mounted system and the upright mounting system?

Thanks,

Ted

·
Registered
2009 Forester
30 Posts
trosen said:
Glad to see these postings on bike racks. I've got a 2006 forester, and I am looking for a rack for a racing road bike. Aside from the difficulty of putting the bike on the roof compared with at the back on a hitch (I don't have a hitch on my car), are there any recommendations regarding the fork mounted system and the upright mounting system?

Thanks,

Ted
Hey Trosen, is that what you're looking for: http://www.rockymounts.com/index.asp

·
Mr. September 2008
2007 Legacy Automatic
583 Posts
derscott said:
I've had this one for several years. Darn near indestructible and works very well.

http://www.softride.com/product.asp?p=39

Pricey though...

cheers,
Scott
I have one of these too, great rack and I didn't find it to be that expensive for its level of funtionality. You can totaly get into the hatch with the rack loaded up with bikes. Gets my vote. ;)

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts
King Cobras are the only way to go. I haul 100+ lbs on DH rigs on mine at 70mph up and down some twisty arse roads. They have performed flawlessly for me...

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
I stayed away from roofrack mounted racks.. since my friend had one (could have been of less-quality) and busted when he was on trip, the bike slams into his car before falling off...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts