Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
HAHA to funny you wouldn't want the roof one either.I have broke 2 of them "subaru ones" by leaving my bike in them & pulling into our car port "I swear".lol

I now have the hitch package & will be buying the subaru hitch mount bike rack.

joe r

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HAHA to funny you wouldn't want the roof one either.I have broke 2 of them "subaru ones" by leaving my bike in them & pulling into our car port "I swear".lol
Ouch! How did the bikes fare?

I now have the hitch package & will be buying the subaru hitch mount bike rack.

joe r

Did you get the hitch package from Subaru or a third-party vendor?

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
Bike was fine "redline bmx 24" cruiser" but the rack & rail are gone,I know 2 times.errr

Yes I bougth the subaru hitch & I will buy the subaru bike hitch rack also.

joe r

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,760 Posts
THis is what my buddy has, we've used it plenty of times and it works great. Easy to use, quick to load and it holds the bikes nice and secure. I've stolen the THULE picture but his is another brand. Its Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper and probably works just as well. He paid $120 for his to hold two bikes.

·
Mr. September 2008
2007 Legacy Automatic
583 Posts
I have this one. It's nice, creaks a bit when lowered fully loaded for hatch access, but feels solid when driving. Of course you would need the hitch. I wouldn't know for sure but I would think that it has much less wind resistance then loading the top of the car. Mine came with a locking hitch bolt, needs to be tightened to 88 ft. lb. of tq, which required me buying a deep 22mm socket.

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
Saris bones 3 for me. No towbar/hitch and a top rack isn't possible due to the vertically challenged nature of my wife :)

Done over 1000 miles at up to 85mph.. nothing moves...

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
990 Posts
I like my roof rack bike rack i just bought. Works nicely. Pros and cons::

Pro: Removes completely still attatched to cross bars in 3 minutes. Installs in less than 5.

Pro: You do not have to install a trailer hitch (if you're concerned about added weight for racing or whatnot.)

Pro: Cheaper than buying the trailer hitch and trailer hitch mount bike rack.

Pro: Front wheel won't scratch your tailgate from turning (hey, it could happen)

Con: Creates more drag than the trailer hitch mount.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
509 Posts
I've been through so many rack combos it makes my head hurt...and don't feel bad joe r, I did that once too, tore the rain gutters right off my little Corolla FX...ah, memories

anyway, currently using Yakima bars and RockyMount fork down racks, I still prefer roof top, mainly so I can get the dog in and out of the hatch as she's with me most days...have also had a Yakima hitch mount, 2 bike carrier on my last Tacoma, loved it, but got tired of tilting it down constantly to access the bed of the truck, so went back to roof top.

Now, I'm 6'0" so reaching up there has never been a problem for me, and my ex is 5'10", so no problems there either...

Current set up:

there's another bike mount on the drivers side that I use mostly...

I have also used and love the Sportworks racks...That's the one Thule bought...they are well worth the money, super easy to use, incredible build quality, and they hold darn near any style bike out there...

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X
180 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Hollywood brand for hitch racks.

The Impact Stealth rack is a good bumper mount as there is minimal contact with the car, although the Saris Bones rack is a really good choice as stevem pointed out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have this one. It's nice, creaks a bit when lowered fully loaded for hatch access, but feels solid when driving. Of course you would need the hitch. I wouldn't know for sure but I would think that it has much less wind resistance then loading the top of the car. Mine came with a locking hitch bolt, needs to be tightened to 88 ft. lb. of tq, which required me buying a deep 22mm socket.
Performance has quite a few hitch mount racks in their catalog:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/sub_cat.cfm?subcategory_id=4411

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been through so many rack combos it makes my head hurt...and don't feel bad joe r, I did that once too, tore the rain gutters right off my little Corolla FX...ah, memories
Those old Toyotas were great. I had an '83 Celica that I donated with approximately 248k on the odometer - original engine. I used a no-name trunk rack with the car, or fold down the rear seats and put the bike in the trunk.

anyway, currently using Yakima bars and RockyMount fork down racks, I still prefer roof top, mainly so I can get the dog in and out of the hatch as she's with me most days...have also had a Yakima hitch mount, 2 bike carrier on my last Tacoma, loved it, but got tired of tilting it down constantly to access the bed of the truck, so went back to roof top.

Now, I'm 6'0" so reaching up there has never been a problem for me, and my ex is 5'10", so no problems there either...
This would be mostly for a recumbent, thus another reason the roof rack wouldn't be my first choice.

Current set up:

there's another bike mount on the drivers side that I use mostly...

I have also used and love the Sportworks racks...That's the one Thule bought...they are well worth the money, super easy to use, incredible build quality, and they hold darn near any style bike out there...
Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Saris bones 3 for me. No towbar/hitch and a top rack isn't possible due to the vertically challenged nature of my wife :)

Before the FXT, I had a '93 Integra hatchback. There was a time when I wanted to get a Saris rack, but was told that the glass on the rear hatch was too fragile to support the weight and bumps of a loaded bike rack.

Would you have a photo showing how the Saris is attached to the back of your Forester? Thanks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm a big fan of the Hollywood brand for hitch racks.
"Draftmaster" is another one, but they're expensive.

http://www.hitchsource.com/draftmaster.php?gclid=CI2--_PN7YwCFSBMGgodsVLm6g

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Bike_Rack/product_19927.shtml

The Impact Stealth rack is a good bumper mount as there is minimal contact with the car, although the Saris Bones rack is a really good choice as stevem pointed out.
I hadn't heard of the "Impact Stealth" & will have to check it out.
Thanks!

·
Registered
509 Posts
This would be mostly for a recumbent, thus another reason the roof rack wouldn't be my first choice.

AH...in that case definately go with one of the Sportworks style, upright hitch mounted racks, they are probably the best option since they grab the front wheel and don't rely on the frame of the bike at all, allowing for different tube configurations...can you tell I used to work at REI??

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,687 Posts
THis is what my buddy has, we've used it plenty of times and it works great. Easy to use, quick to load and it holds the bikes nice and secure. Its Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper and probably works just as well. He paid $120 for his to hold two bikes.
Umm...let us in on the 411, buddy!!

That's exactly what I'm looking for, and the price is much better than what I've been seeing out there.

·
Mr. September 2008
2007 Legacy Automatic
583 Posts
Found another pic. Some of these options really limit your access to the cargo area which was a concern for me. I can get into the back with 4 bikes loaded on the rack.

Also there is no chance of bikes hitting the car or breaking glass.

The price is pretty good compared to some of these options (if you already have a hitch or was planning on getting one), especially if you want to load more then 2 bikes. It's easy and quick to load and has a cable built in which completely tucks away when not in use, just use your u-lock or any other to easily secure all the bikes.

The one I have is slightly different from the ebay link I posted, as it has a spring loaded (for safety) kick release for easy access to the cargo area.

Another cool thing about it is it's like a little table to set things down on when your hands are full, which stays level when released or when in go mode, very handy for when loading or working on the car, or tailgating. :icon_cool: The two bars that hold the bikes pull out of that surface when not in use.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Is this similar to the Saris model you were referring to? I saw this one on the back of an Outback today and had my camera with me. I'm not sure of the actual model being that I took the pic from a bit of a distance.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts