Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FORESTER STI
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys im fairly new to this forum and have a few questions about a turbo im thinking of buying. i found it on ebay uk and its only £300 and states that with the right mods to back it up is capable of 450bhp. its a tdo5 16g and has 950cfm...none of that makes any sense to me as i know nothing about turbos!
any advice on buying the right turbo to help me make 400bhp with good driverbillity will be a great help!

Dean

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,595 Posts
A 16g will not get you close to 450hp. A TD0518g might get you close to 400hp. These numbers are at the crankshaft, and not the wheels. So maybe 30% more power than what you have now.

If you do get the TD05 18g, make sure you get the one with a TD06 compressor housing, and the 8cm exhaust housing.

·
Registered
2004 FORESTER STI
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks you have put my mind at rest and to forget about that cheap turbo!
what turbo does the sti have and what sort of performance can you extract from them? ive heard that 330bhp is about the max, is that true even when you change the fuel pump?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,595 Posts
Don't you have a Forester STi? The Impreza STi has gone through many turbos, but most of them have similar specs to what is in your Forester.

·
Registered
2004 FORESTER STI
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes i have one but dont know naff all about tuning them.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,595 Posts
Oh ok, I understand now. Here when someone says STi, they mean an impreza STi. I'm not sure but I think the Forester STi has a VF41. It's good for about 330 bhp. I don't think you would need a fuel pump change if you are keeping the stock turbo, and I don't think you would be able to get more power out of it if you did.

·
Registered
2006 sti
99 Posts
Forester STi have a VF41: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f75/turbo-fsti-10199/

I have been advised by Simon of JGM that an 18G turbocharger should get you 340 to 360bhp with supporting modifications. If you want more power then I would suggest a built engine with forged rods, pistons and so on.
I would not bother with the Ebay turbos.
Andy Forest has a good reputation:AndyForrestPerformance
Welcome to the forum by the way.

Paul

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
3 Posts
"04 Stock turbo? (non-STI)

I need a new turbo and am looking at rebuilding the existing. I've heard rumors that it's a Mitsubishi part... and possibly that it's a T04. Easy to get rebuild kit for those, but I want to make sure it's what I have before I order it.
I tried contacting Subaru and all they've said is "I'm not sure... but it says Mitsubishi part...." Thankx for you help Subaru.
If you know what turbo is on an 04 Forester XT, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Thread hijack then?

04 Forester XT uses an MHI (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) TD04L.

Dean Marky 9074was pushing 400bhp from his STi using the MD321 turbo range....when selecting the turbo, first select target power and then target turbo, then deiced if the loss of responce/low end torque is accepatable, go round in loops until you have a solution.

Simon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts