Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I've got 17" WRX wheels (yes still not on the car ;) ) and want to know about tire sizes. I put them on the Forester and they looked REALLY bad, with the stock WRX tires. I need something taller, like the stock Forester tire. What I really want, is the look of offroad tires (big treads, big wheels etc) but able to perform on the street (predictable traction loss, able to handle quick turns). Is this possible? Or am I dreaming again? Links or anything like that will help.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X 4EAT
58 Posts
I have not dealt with the 17" wheel, but i was able to fit 225/70 r16 underneath with no rubbing. The 17" wheel though looks hard to find small tires for. Try your local tire store just for a general idea of what sizes you can find. As for street wise, there is a small loss of traction and power, but not very noticeable.

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found some tires called 'All-terrain' tires. I assume those should be decent on the street. I want the look of off-road but drive it like a car. Check out these tires...200 bucks a pop though!! :(

Dick Cepek Radial F-C II

Is that about right for what I would be looking at? Again, I like the way the tread looks rugged. Thanks for the input so far.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I found some tires called 'All-terrain' tires. I assume those should be decent on the street. I want the look of off-road but drive it like a car. Check out these tires...200 bucks a pop though!! :(

Dick Cepek Radial F-C II

Is that about right for what I would be looking at? Again, I like the way the tread looks rugged. Thanks for the input so far.
Those are relatively serious offroad tires, not something that will be especially fun on the road. You'll probably want something in the ATS or HT style. The yokohama geolandar AT-S is a decent offroad tire that would be "ok" on pavement.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
IMO a 225/55/17 would fit great and be pretty beefy with no worries of rubbing.
That is the stock size on my '09 XT. The size fits great and feels good on tight turns too, but when I get rid of (wear out) these Geolanders, I'm putting either the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S or Michelin Hydro Edge. Same size, just better tire.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X 4EAT
58 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,824 Posts
Question. Are you going to run a dedicated snow tire on your stock rims?
Either way I'd recommend either the UHP or HP from General Tire - Off-Road and Performance Tires - The Tires - Passenger in a 225/55/17.

I think Ferret might have run the UHP's and could share his comments if so. **** oops, actually it was funkymonkey1002

And if you are needing dedicated snows go with the General Tire - Off-Road and Performance Tires - The Tires - Winter.

I bought the Altimax Arctic and am now a fan of the General. Great pricing for the US, not so great pricing for Canadians :shrug::confused: They were bought by Continental a few years back and have shared immensely in tire technology amongst Continentals numerous brands. I'd expect the UHP & HP would be fine for some off-roading but get some protection (skidplate).:biggrin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts