• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found that in our recent snow storm that big SUV drivers seem to think that physics does not apply to them.

They slide all over the road.

Do you think Big SUV drivers are worse than the rest in bad weather?

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I post this because I saw a 4runner t bone a 300 because the driver seems to forget the physics.
Granted I have studded tire but I still drive like a granny. I can't afford an accident with my family on the car.

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
481 Posts
I like:
P=MV
momentum = mass times velocity
Yup. I drove a Ford Expedition for 6 years. At anything above about 25 MPH on slick roads, it was like trying to stop a runaway freight train unless you were locked in 4WD. The big advantage there was locked 4WD mode enabled you slide to a stop in a straight line, as opposed to the rear end trying to overtake the front end as the 'Auto' 4WD mode tried to decide what to do when you tried to stop.

One positive thing about that Expedition though...it was a comfy and roomy son of a gun. It was like driving your living room around. But for handling and stopping, particularly in slippery conditions, it always reminded you that it weighed about as much as a battleship.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My cherokee handles great in the snow but its hardly a large suv. Plus it doesnt even compare to the Fozzie. The subie drives like its on rails on slippery roads and stops pretty reasonably too.

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,095 Posts
When I met my wife she drove a brown Chevy Celebrity (FWD). She lived in MI and never had a problem getting around. I think a lot of it has to do with driving with some common sense and smarts. AWD gives a false sense of security. I think a fair number of the SUV drivers figure they can go no problem in the snow but they forget about the stopping part. I know when I was a kid and had my dad's Brat out for the first time in the snow. We had a good 10-12 inch drop and I got up early to drive in it before they got to our roads to clear them. I had a great time till I came to that first stop sign. Lucky for me we lived in a rural area because the only thing that stopped was my heart for a second.

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
are we talking about those "SUV's" that are virtually lifted vans with bigger tires with no history or pedigree of off-road capability which sucks on any surface other than normal pavement or the "real" SUV's that has proper and true 4x4 t-cases and or AWD systems?

it all depends. but braking still remains constant in calculation in relation to weight and tires.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
you forgot to the albertan driver factor :biggrin:

I was always amazed at the number of 'offs' on the QE during the winter, 130+km/h through the median must be a scary trip..

The worst is when you hit a snowstorm on that highway and there is a line bumper to bumper going 40 because that is as fast as you can go, you see the rig trucks flying up the passing lane and then catch up to them in the ditch 5 min later..

I remember when they would just take the people out, and leave the cars there for the next break in the weather.. you could tell the fresh ones because they didn't have police ribbon around them yet.

in general the better nannies that are built into cars the lazier the driver becomes. SUV just make it a little more obvious.

mike

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
481 Posts
are we talking about those "SUV's" that are virtually lifted vans with bigger tires with no history or pedigree of off-road capability which sucks on any surface other than normal pavement or the "real" SUV's that has proper and true 4x4 t-cases and or AWD systems?
I'd have to say the worst drivers around here for going too fast for wintertime conditions would have to be Jeep owners...certainly vehicles with off-road pedigrees. Engineering and pedigree can't completely compensate for lack of a drivers' common sense though.

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
I'd have to say the worst drivers around here for going too fast for wintertime conditions would have to be Jeep owners...certainly vehicles with off-road pedigrees. Engineering and pedigree can't completely compensate for lack of a drivers' common sense though.

definitely. it's more of driving experience over common sense since common sense is not really in most people nowadays and is just a big :icon_question: to them. it's like giving the responsibilty of piloting a 747 to a gibbon.

a lot of people are cocky just because they have a more capable vehicle than your average commuter car but in fact they do not know how to use it properly.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts
a lot of people are cocky just because they have a more capable vehicle than your average commuter car but in fact they do not know how to use it properly.
Subaru Drivers Included

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
946 Posts
i treat driving in the snow like driving a boat you dont have brakes
That is a great comparison.
I use a lot of the time when talking about snow/ice. Unfortunately, if you haven't tried to stop a boat or steer after dropping the throttle to neutral, the comparison is lost.

Dave

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,095 Posts
Subaru Drivers Included
I tend to agree, I remember calling Dale Teague for parts once. He's in North Carolina if I remember right. Well they had a relatively rare snow fall, only a few inches. He said he's never sold more suspension parts in a week. Everyone was playing Colin McRay :)

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Flat 6 5MT 4.44
143 Posts
i have to agree and say the big suv drivers just dont get it that they are not invincible just cause they drive somthing large and has a 4x4 mode. but i supose that the same could be said for most drivers these day that have no clue about car control and when it isnt safe to drive like bat out of hell every were. I personally think that Hummer H2 and H3 owners are the worst for not paying attention and thinking that they own the road.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
Subaru Drivers Included
^ Agreed.

Here, in NE-Ohio, typically, the first roadway-covering snowfall is the most dangerous drive-day. Even natives over-reach their usual driving capabilities, and AWD/4WD drivers are among the worst offenders, regardless of type or brand of vehicle.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts