Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester sti
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having 18 years with Microsoft took the plunge and bought myself these two beauties. A whole new learning curve for me the Mac but so far i'm really impressed how quick the Mac system is.
The ipad has also impressed me, a very good mobile surfer with the wifi/3G

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
Congrats on the new toys, made the switch myself to the Mac world about 3 years ago and now there are apple devices all over the house ! Typing this from my iPad, best bit of technology I've seen in years.

·
Registered
2000 Forester S Turbo manual
1,670 Posts
have they made a stable jailbreak for the ipad yet ? was thinking of getting on !

·
Registered
2009 Forester
63 Posts
If you don't mind me asking...what made you want to move to mac. I've been considering the move for some time now. My iphone is awesome so i'm hoping macs would be too.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Welcome to the Mac club... switched over when I went freelance and never looked back. So much more reliable.

When I was in PC-land I was forever tweaking things with the OS, fighting with drivers, crashes, dropping off wireless networks, adjusting AV settings and so on... basically, just fiddling with stuff all the time in order to be able to use it properly. With the Mac, I just turn it on and use it. End of.

I used to get through a laptop every 12 - 18 months or so before it started to slow down or the battery wouldn't hold charge or something else caused a problem and these were not low end machines, they were all high end Dells. I bought my current MacBook over 2 years ago and it's still as fast today as it was the day I bought it and it still meets my requirements and probably will for some time yet.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Heh I've been thinking about getting one of the new 15" MBP, since you can now get the core I7 in them, with a NON-glossy screen and a solid state drive.

Have owned macs for years, have had a few pc's thrown in but windows has been a horrible mess for years (NT 4 and win 2000 were "ok" and now win 7 is actually competition again). Sadly the build quality of macs have gone down a bit, the old ones were unbreakable (have a stack of the clamshell ibooks, can run them over with a car and they won't break!)

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
701 Posts
I dont know what it is, but i really dislike all apple products. i think it is more of a principle thing than actually thinking they aren't very good bits of kit.

I had to practically beg my phone company to give me a blackberry instead of an iphone when my contract was up last time.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
I just think the apple products are far superior in design and construction...take a unibody Mac for example, or the iPad, it's solid, not flexible and bendable like almost every plastic case product that runs windows. I've had both Mac and Pcs over the years and typically the best of both..apple wins hands down on being reliable and durable. I do like windows 7 looks like it's heading in the right direction. I guess it's the endless tweaking and fixing that drove me away from windows. The other factor is the interaction between devices, there are 9 or so Mac OS computers in my house, a couple of appleTVs, storage systems, video surveillance, media systems and they all work flawlessly in mac os together...and I can use them remotely from my iPhone/iPad.. Sure you can do that in windows, but the work tweaking and rebooting kinda takes away from the fun doesn't it ?

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
The other factor is the interaction between devices, there are 9 or so Mac OS computers in my house, a couple of appleTVs, storage systems, video surveillance, media systems and they all work flawlessly in mac os together...and I can use them remotely from my iPhone/iPad.. Sure you can do that in windows, but the work tweaking and rebooting kinda takes away from the fun doesn't it ?
Couldn't agree more, I used to be a big PC man, and only got a Mac so I could test on OSX / Safari. However, after using the Mac for a few months, I switched permanently as I just found Apple stuff so much less hassle.

Now, I have a Mac Mini upstairs acting as a media centre coupled with an Appe TV, my wife's laptop running iTunes and my MacBook - all sync'ing together and controllable remotely via my iPhone or my wife's iPod touch.

Content that we download from iTunes is shared automatically between the various computers and two iPod Classics which can then be used in each of our cars as well as docking stations in the house. The iPod classics also have enough capacity to take the our entire iTunes library and will plug in to most TVs via the RGB cable we have (great for hotels where the only decent content is pay-per-view).

When I get round to it, I'll get an iPad too as they make for effortless sofa surfing as well as a media player for the kids on long journeys. I also have a MobileMe account so I can backup remotely to my iDrive and access that data from anywhere, push my emails to my iPhone and retrieve files from my home network remotely.... as the marketing hype says, "it just works" (god, I've just realised what an Apple whore I am! :biggrin:).

Setting the above up on Windows devices would be possible but it would take a long time to make it work reliably and I just don't have the patience or time for that any more.

I'm not totally converted though as I still run a couple of Windows virtual machines on the MacBook for testing and developing in .Net / MS SQL but because the VM is not overloaded with software like Office etc etc, Windows runs reliably for once!:biggrin:

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
701 Posts
I think thats the problem for me. Apple products now are probably better than most things on the market and i find it increasingly harder to justify my dislike, which makes me dislike them even more!

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
I think thats the problem for me. Apple products now are probably better than most things on the market and i find it increasingly harder to justify my dislike, which makes me dislike them even more!
I know what you mean... don't worry, we'll be nice when you eventually give in a come over to the light side! ;o)

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Resist all you like, it'll make it even more enjoyable for you when you eventually see the light and make the switch! ;o)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts