Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm trying to get a big bolt out and i just cant get it unstuck. It's the one the runs horizontally under the hub. PB blaster and a torch just isnt cutting it. Has anyone had any luck? I've been trying to not destroy the rubber on each side of the bushing, but its damn near impossible to get out. If anything, does anyone have a part number for this? It's an 06.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,590 Posts
If it’s the bolt I’m thinking of, that’s a tough one. There are YT videos showing the replacement of Subaru bearings and iirc, a torch and a heavy duty penetrating oil are used. Must soak the threads for a few days. Iirc, a hub grappler was used.

These bolts are notorious for rust welding and may need a professional. Can you post a photo?

·
Registered
2006 Forester
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From left to right. Using multiple penetrating oils, mapp gas, tried burning the bushing, using leverage holds with Jack stands, nothing seems to be working.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,590 Posts
Looks like there are two problems. The rubber bushing is hardened and stuck to the rust plus rusted bolt.

Drilling the bolt out may be the last alternative. Start with a center punch then use ever increasing drills starting with an 1/8” Cobalt drill bits.

·
Registered
2003 EJ20K Forester
379 Posts
I wound up snapping mine and hammering it out, destroying the bushings in the process. Found a replacement on a less rusty car.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Couldn't get it out with any method, just ended up cutting near the bolt head and next to a bushing and hammered it out. That bad boy was stuck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts