1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 limited that has the back up assist/rear sensor stuff

want to carry my 1up bicycle hitch rack on it
this rack when empty will fold up vertical toward the hatch
but there will still be maybe a 1 foot section in the middle I am worried the car will see and alert for

does anyone else have a fold up hitch rack and when in the up position does the rear assist alert every time you put it in reverse?

on my other car the bike rack was on their full time but I don't want to be turning on and off the back sensor stuff for the rack everyday, can leave it off if I have to

thanks for any input

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
637 Posts
Our family has two cars with back-up sensors, and we have hitch-mounted bike racks on both cars.

On the RX350 we have to go into a deep menu to turn off the back-up auto braking, so we just leave it toggled off.

On the 2018 Forester Limited, we leave the back-up auto braking turned on, because it's just one or two button presses to turn the backup-auto braking off. When it activates, it's just on the little display on top of the dashboard, and I think it's the little up/down/press button right near the hazard switch that you use to turn the RAB off. (I don't have the bike rack on there now because we're just coming out of winter.)

On the RX350 (wife's) the bike rack is on there all the time. On the Forester it's a lot easier to mount/unmount things on the rack, so I take the bike rack off sometimes, plus I switch between bike rack and trailer occasionally.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Li
14 Posts
I have a 2019. I think if a trailer plug is connected the reverse sensors are deactivated. I'd check for you but laid up with a busted ankle.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
637 Posts
I have 2018. RAB can be turned off, and the manual suggests that when you put the shifter into R, RAB is turned on again. I'm not at the car right now but I think I've had mine toggled off and not coming back on automatically. It would be a pain in the butt to have to stick a trailer plug in to deactivate RAB. I know that when I have a bike rack or trailer connected, RAB can be either on or off and I turn it on/off with buttons and switches.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts