Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2015 Subaru Forester XT with 35k miles on it and I would like to upgrade the rims and tires.
I recently sold my Xterra that had a nice set of KO2's on it and I was thinking about going with either the
BFG KO2 or the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S, I have a set of Method 502 17" x8" +38mm wheel coming.
The Method's are 1lb lighter each than the stock 18" wheel.
My only concerns going with the KO2's are adding so much weight per tire and any rubbing that may come from the tire.
Does anyone have any experience with the BFG KO2 on a stock 15'XT?
Does anyone have experience with the Cooper DIscoverer AT3 4s?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
2010 Forester A
24 Posts
NA or turbo? I can't speak to rubbing as you're dealing with different size rims and tires than I did, however I chose the Cooper's for their lighter weight, less rolling resistance and negligible road noise. I drive FSRs and double track in BC, but still 80%tarmac. So far the Cooper's have been excellent. No noticeable impact on fuel consumption, car feels the same from an acceleration standpoint, and they are as quiet as the all seasons that came off. If I was driving a turbo I may have considered a heavier tire like the KO2, but with an 4 cyl NA engine, the Cooper's were so much lighter and reviewed so well I had to go with them. Spare even fits under the trunk floor, but again with your larger size that may not apply in your case. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks great!
For me the deciding factor was with the Perelli's and the Method 502's I only added .9 of a lb to each wheel overall.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport and 2019 Forester Touring
60 Posts
I had cooper discoverer AT3's on my crosstrek and got right at 70K miles on them. No joke. I just put toyo open country ATII's on it. Hope they last as long. They are both rated at 65K miles. leaning toward trading for a sport in the future so I've been researching the forester tire and wheel options. also getting ready to buy a 2019 forester touring or order a 2020 for my wife to drive.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
2,160 Posts
Any rubbing with these? My Mother In Law needs a winter tire setup, I would prefer to put an AT on her car because she cranks out so many miles and when the seasons change I don't want her destroying a set of dedicated winter tires in the warm weather before she can get to my house to have them swapped out for the season. She's got a 2017 premium, I was thinking of putting the same tires on her forester that we put on my wifes diesel Equinox, 225/75R16 General Grabber AT/X's. However they're a 29.3" tire (.2" bigger than OP's tire), I would think if they fit on my wifes little equinox, the forester should have enough room for them also, but idk if i want to take that gamble.

Here's a shot of my wifes equinox on the 225/75R16 grabbers.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport and 2019 Forester Touring
60 Posts
i'm currently running a 28.3 inch tire on my crosstrek with very minimal rubbing. The prem forester should take up to a 29 inch tire from what I've seen here on the forums. not sure what would work beyond the 29 inch point. Of course with aftermarket rims, the offset would have to be spot on to avoid rubbing or excessive bearing strain.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
2,160 Posts
Would like to thank the OP for this post, I never would've considered 235/65R17, however i happened to throw that size into tirerack and found a Deal on Blizzak WS80's too good to pass up, closeout deal $97 per tire (list $170), free shipping, and $80 MIR. Here's a link if anyone else wants to snatch up a set:

Blizzak WS80 235/65/R17

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT CVT (High Torque)
259 Posts
I have a 17FXT, and I just got a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S in 235/60-17 (28.3”) and I couldn’t be happier with them so far. I do have a 1.25” lift, but there is plenty of room for these without a lift. I haven’t taken them on any serious off-road excursions, but they are at least as quiet as stock, only weight 6-7 lbs more than stock, and look beefy.

I considered the K02, but they were narrower, taller, and heavier (good for off-road, less good for street).

I also considered the Pirelli AT tires in this size, but I couldn’t find many reviews. They are probably very comparable to the Coopers in weight and performance, but the tread blocks look less aggressive to my eyes.

I put the Coopers on Method MR501 wheels, and am using a Wilco Hithgate Solo swinging tire carrier to carry the 5th wheel/tire.

The stock emergency spare is way too small for any of these tires. It’s actually a little too small for the stock wheels. I plan to get a 215/65-17 Cooper AT3 at 28.1 inches as a second spare for under the floor, on a skinny steel wheel (Subaru sells a 6.5” full-size spare wheel with no tire).

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i Base CVT
43 Posts
I have Cooper Discoverer AT3's on my three quarter ton pickup, load range E. They are great tires, quiet running, and so far have about 60k miles on them with about 10 or 15k miles left. Only thing, they get out of balance more than other tires I have had. But, I will buy another set when the ones I have wear out. I am off road a good bit.

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT CVT (High Torque)
259 Posts
I have Cooper Discoverer AT3's on my three quarter ton pickup, load range E. They are great tires, quiet running, and so far have about 60k miles on them with about 10 or 15k miles left. Only thing, they get out of balance more than other tires I have had. But, I will buy another set when the ones I have wear out. I am off road a good bit.
Thanks for the long-term feedback. I did notice that when I got my new AT3s mounted and balanced, they took more weight to balance than any tire I’ve ever had by a wide margin. I’m talking about a 6” strip of metal weights on some wheels.

This makes me glad I got the lifetime balancing/rotating/puncture-replacement guarantee from America’s Tire (formerly Discount Tire), so I can have them rebalanced any time.

I know that some people use balancing sand or beads that automatically distribute along the inside surface of the wheel, but then every time you stop/start the sand has to rebalance for a few seconds while moving before the tire is balanced. Also, the beads or sand aren’t compatible with Slime-style tire sealant. Slime and a rubber plug kit saved my bacon once when towing a trailer that got a screw where the sidewall meets the tread, so I want the option at least. I stay away from Fix-a-Flat because it ruins the tire and is hard to clean off the wheel.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i Base CVT
43 Posts
Banjor...That is a good idea on the lifetime balance on that set of tires. I did not do that but that's what I will do when I get a new set. I have plug kits in all my vehicles and use them more than you would think. The kits are made by Safety Seal. I plug my cars, ATV, tractor (not fluid filled tires on my tractor). Also on a couple of my equipment trailers I have Centramatic tire balancers installed. They have balance beads inside a plate that goes onto the lug bolts. You don't lose beads and never have to balance a tire on the trailer ever.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts