Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Second @bevans555 request for pics. I'd like to hear your driveability impressions. Have you have a change to notice any difference in the Eyesight cruise control or lane-keeping?
First impression is they look bad-***. Wife immediately noticed some road noise. The noise is minor in my opinion for how aggressive the tread pattern is. It should be expected.

Tires are HEAVY and will negatively impact the gas mileage. Too soon to tell exactly, but looks like it could reduce the mpg by approximately 8 mpg with stop and go city driving. Display was consistently showing around 28 mpg average with the stock Falken tires. Don't have very many miles yet with the BFG's, but display is now hovering around 19 - 20 mpg.

Accelerating from a dead stop takes more effort which is what will reduce the fuel economy. I may have to try and adjust my driving style to compensate.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Thanks @shimmygrl8
Would love to see a full side shot and maybe front end and rear end shot to see the width.
Please update if you notice any changes in mpgs or any rubbing. Thanks!
Totally flushed the gas mileage down the toilet.
Did a 300 mile road trip before and after the BFG 255's.
Stock Falkens gave me 31 mpg average.
BFG 255's gave me 23 mpg at best.
Getting 20 mpg average with stop and go city driving.

Getting rub at full turn on the engine under guard side wing brackets similar to what @RawLand has already shown us. The pic shows a minor black streak in the orange powder coat where the contact is taking place.

The Eyesight safety features ( lane keep assist, adapt cruise ) work as expected, no noticeable difference.
Not sure if the auto-braking feature would respond in the same time as with the stock tires. The BFG's are REALLY HEAVY and could cause response issues with the extra rotating mass. Hopefully I won't ever need to test that feature at highway speeds.

It is a love hate relationship.
I hate the MPG , but I love the way they look and the added off-road potential.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
The rubbing doesnt seem like a big deal but have you tried a 3 or 5 mm spacer to reduce it? Looks so minimal a 3mm may completely remove it.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
No offense to anyone who have these, but I can’t wrap my head around why someone would choose these over the coopers

·
Registered
67 Posts
@shimmygrl8 Thanks for the honest update! It looks so good.

I think I'm going to hold off on mods for now. I just completed a road trip from Ga up to the NC mountains over to SC and down to Savannah and back home and the stock Forester handled everything well. If I have to replace the tires sooner for some reason I may just keep the suspension stock and throw on some G015's. They dont look as badass as the bfg's but I think they will work perfect for my needs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That is one awesome looking rig!!! How much heavier is the new rig vs stock, notwithstanding the rooftop tent?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
That is one awesome looking rig!!! How much heavier is the new rig vs stock, notwithstanding the rooftop tent?
Thank You
Stock Falken tires are about 26 pounds each.
The BFG K02 tires are about 45 pounds each. Added about 20 pound to each wheel.
Lift kit parts ( mainly the Top-Hat spacers) add about 30 pounds.
The tent is 116 pounds.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thank You
Stock Falken tires are about 26 pounds each.
The BFG K02 tires are about 45 pounds each. Added about 20 pound to each wheel.
Lift kit parts ( mainly the Top-Hat spacers) add about 30 pounds.
The tent is 116 pounds.
A lot of extra weight! Does it make your rig feel a whole lot more sluggish?

Oopst, sorry for the question. I just saw the answer above!! Thank you.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Are you factoring in to your mpg calculation( based on fillup amounts between odometer logs) the increased circumference of the tires and how that decreases the speedo/odo readout?Diameter before/ after is what ratio?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
A lot of extra weight! Does it make your rig feel a whole lot more sluggish?
Only the add weight of the tires made a noticeable difference. Requires a heavier foot on the gas to make it go.

All of the other items combined add up to nothing more than the weight of an additional passenger.

Even the wind drag from the tent had little to no impact on driving and mpg.
I keep it under 76 MPH because any faster the vehicle gets a little "Wonky" from the turbulence. Don't want the tent to blow off the roof. It is only held on to the extrusion with four 6mm blots.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Only the add weight of the tires made a noticeable difference. Requires a heavier foot on the gas to make it go.

All of the other items combined add up to nothing more than the weight of an additional passenger.

Even the wind drag from the tent had little to no impact on driving and mpg.
I keep it under 76 MPH because any faster the vehicle gets a little "Wonky" from the turbulence. Don't want the tent to blow off the roof. It is only held on to the extrusion with four 6mm blots.
Kudos for the honest review. Most people that buy stuff and spend an extra money on things like to sugar coat their reviews in their favor to make them not look like an idiot..
This set up seriously looks badass to me but due to the added weight, handling at high speeds, and negative MPG, I think I would go a different route. I mean, this SUV is already on the slower side of it's class.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Kudos for the honest review. Most people that buy stuff and spend an extra money on things like to sugar coat their reviews in their favor to make them not look like an idiot..
The information available to people on this website is, as they say, "Priceless".
Providing less than honest and accurate information, pro or con, would be a disservice to all who participate here.
Where else can you get real world feedback and experiences relating to all things Subaru Forester from a worldwide audience?
I learn things here that my local Subaru dealer has not heard of or knew about.

Thank You to all.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts