Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
552 Posts
His opinion.. Wonder how he feels about Tide over Gain laundry detergent? My opinion, Gain is better for various reasons. Point is, everyone has their own opinions and they certainly vary. My Forester is the greatest thing since Tootsie Pops.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring CVT
1,349 Posts
I would be much more inclined to get this Toyota over the current 2019 Forester. Sorry.

·
Registered
51 Posts
How much money has Toyota been pumping to the youtube influencers? Crazy many Forester, and other Subaru models, v RAV4 'comparison' videos have been popping up.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,350 Posts
Consumer Reports does not agree with Alex here.
I don't think that CR tested the Adventure version, but I imagine that some of the RAV4 faults they cited carries over into that trim line.

Alex says their RAV4 Adventure was priced at $38k which is significantly more than a Forester. Alex's passenger, Greg of Toyota, says the Adventure is part-time AWD (ie, slip and grip).

·
Registered
2019 Forester
36 Posts
Adventure starts in the $30's. Forester starts in $20's.

Shouldn't he be comparing to the Ascent or honda passport that start at similar price points? Both of which win in size and power.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
222 Posts
Plain and Simple the consumers buy 2 Ravas to every 1 Forester sold. Why, perceived better quality and allot more models to choose from. While Subaru is perceived as niche market and hasn’t even a luxury auto model. So the distracted shiny object consumer limits their auto shopping to Toyota products.

·
Registered
2015 XT Premium CVT
2,859 Posts
Actually you can get the Adventure at larger Toyota dealers like Koons in Va for around $30k with discounts and rebates. Myself I do not go off road so the RAV4 hybrid would be better for me. A lot owners reporting around 40mpg.

·
Registered
2016 Forester CVT
180 Posts
Consumer Reports????

Really? They are the same people that recommend the CR-V very highly with a defective engine? Why the hell would you trust their opinion?

Easy. CR has real data from thousands of real owners to base their opinion. They evaluate and measure all cars using the same consistent and repeatable tests, then they monitor and report on owner feedback for an additional 10 years. They also don't accept advertising dollars or free "press/journalist loaners" so they're not compelled to be nice. I'm not aware of anybody else who does this. I trust them over any schmo on the internets who drive a car once, proclaim perfection for those who are seeking bias confirmation, then collect their ad revenue.

I'm not saying the Rav4 is junk. Not at all! I would 100% cross-shop the Toyota Rav4 if I ever need a replacement for my Forester. I still own and drive a 22 year old Toyota Camry with a trillion miles that still runs and drives perfectly. I have a high degree of confidence the Toyota brand. All I'm saying is that CR believes the Forester is a better value than the Rav4. That's all.

I will also say your skepticism of CR's CR-V recommendation is not out of bounds. However, the oil dilution problem is only found on the 1.5T engines, not the 2.4L. Jeff Plungis at CR says:
"CR released its latest predicted reliability for the Honda CR-V on Oct. 24 (2018). Reports from owners continue to show that, overall, the CR-V is a reliable vehicle, says Jake Fisher, director of auto testing for CR.

“We continue to recommend the model,” Fisher says. “It’s only a tiny fraction of CR-V owners that are experiencing oil dilution. But for those owners who are, it’s a very serious issue.”​

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,937 Posts
Plain and Simple the consumers buy 2 Ravas to every 1 Forester sold. Why, perceived better quality and allot more models to choose from. While Subaru is perceived as niche market and hasn’t even a luxury auto model. So the distracted shiny object consumer limits their auto shopping to Toyota products.
Most people don't need what the Forester has to offer. Also, a lot of cities have few to no Subaru dealerships.

It's that simple.

Me? Obviously I prefer the Forester, but that's why I'm here. My mom has had several RAV4's and she likes. Same goes for my sister-in-law.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento
43 Posts
Reports from owners continue to show that, overall, the CR- “It’s only a tiny fraction of CR-V owners that are experiencing oil dilution. But for those owners who are, it’s a very serious issue.”[/INDENT]
Tiny fraction???? If you go to the CR-V Owners forum and read through the OD Problem posts you will find that this is not a "TINY" problem. Over 85% of the owners of the 5th generation of CR-V's don't even know they have a problem! I have alerted about 20 owners here locally about the situation that they had no idea of. Multiply that times the number of these vehicles sold and it is not a "TINY" problem! The 1.5T is a major issue and the company and the dealers are not supporting their customers in regards to the problem. Chinese government has stopped the sale of these vehicles until such time as Honda comes up with a solution. The US & Canada should be doing the same thing to avoid customers from being ripped off and spending their next 3-5 years getting repairs for their $40K investment! They are now asking the owners to listen for a "whirring" sound and if heard report to dealer for replacement of camshaft & rocker arms! Yes those ratings were imposed in Oct 2018 however the problem originated with the 2017!!!!! Why are they continue to recommend? I sent a letter along with thousands of others asking why they are recommending this problem laden vehicle. They responded with the same sob story of the 2018 rating. The OD situation is not the only problem this vehicle has. They are plagued with OD, no cabin heat, safety senors not working in the wet weather, dead batteries, stalling under acceleration and the list goes on. CR is taking a lot of flack over this issue and they should be. I have used them for years but will no longer rely on their ratings when they are misleading the consumer in this manner.

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forum...ultiple-electrical-systems-while-driving.html

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forum...dilution-associated-matters-_-volume-1-a.html

https://www.consumerreports.org/sto...h_X8BjknQV5O8oyCeMCjCD24aigG_r1q3VU5f-vYrHURo

Sorry to clutter up this forum with Honda problems but CR is a way off on this and there are many that will agree. I personally have filled out many of the CR surveys in the past but they have lost their luster in the past few years as have a number of companies in their latest versions of their new products. Buying a new vehicle today is a major gamble as they all have their problems and the warranty has now becomes the consumers best friend and confidence builder as long as the dealer and mfg stand behind it. Honda is not!!!

My opinion only and in no way meant to be controversial. Buying a new vehicle is like playing Russian Roulette! >:)

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,350 Posts
Judging the magnitude of the problem reported on CR-V owners forums is no different than judging the magnitude of the Forester's oil consumption on this forum. Forums tend to attract owners with problems and not the masses that have no problem.

That being said, I think Consumer Reports made a BIG mistake when they stopped publishing reliability tables for each engine type. For example at one time CR published two separate reliability tables for the Forester - one for the turbo and another for the NA engine. So perhaps problems like Honda is having with their 1.5L DIT is getting buried in the data for the 2.4L engine.

At least give CR credit for publicizing and addressing the problem with Honda:
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-repair-maintenance/honda-cr-v-affected-by-engine-trouble/
I doubt if any other car review magazine would do that.

·
Registered
2015 XT Premium CVT
2,859 Posts
The RAV4 for 2020 should be rated a little higher on CR. They said that Toyota is planning on updating the engine and for any other issues. This is a good example why you should wait until at least the second year to purchase.

Right now my XTP is paid off and does everything I need a vehicle for. So to replace it does not make any sense unless repairs mount up on it. I would probably look at the Hybrid RAV4 when that time comes along because of the mpg and hp.

·
Registered
2012 Forester XT AT
85 Posts
Most people don't need what the Forester has to offer. Also, a lot of cities have few to no Subaru dealerships.

It's that simple.

Me? Obviously I prefer the Forester, but that's why I'm here. My mom has had several RAV4's and she likes. Same goes for my sister-in-law.
It's all marketing, Toyota has been spending and marketing the Rav4 way longer than the Forester, Subaru was a tiny company 10 years ago. Toyota and Honda have had this market for the longest time. They've made their cars look plain for the longest time, which appeals to most people, the Forester started out as a wagon looking car, then with the SH it became SUV like, now that they made the looks plainer their market share have been growing. Subaru Forester interior was always ******, their speaker was even poopter...I was really turned off by the sound system of my $32,000 Forester and the hard as rock dash.

I was going to get a CRV...I thought they only had Impreza, wrx, and the outback..I only became away of a suv after checking out the CRV on Honda website, where it had a compared other brand models tool and that's when I became aware of the Forester...and I liked the look and that no one really had a Forester, it felt like an exclusive car. I hate driving a car and you see the same model pull up and there's a grandma driving it...which I see now in the newer forester.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts