Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 X3
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lease is up in a month on my 2008 X3. The 2010 XT is at the top of my list for my next vehicle. I read the "how to turn better than an STI" thread above but it seems that is for the last body style. How much would putting better tires on a 2010 help? I live in L.A. so I don't even know if they come with four season tires or if because there is no snow here, the tires are already better. Thanks for indulging me.

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
Someone knows more than me, but I believe tires will help. What I read was that the Forester itself is a little clumsy and upgrading sway bars, adding strut tower bars and springs make it a different animal.

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,961 Posts
You can use the "How to turn better than an STi" as a guide. Decide what your goals are, ride height sacrifice, budget, etc. and go from there.
Unfortunately, STi strut swaps require a lot more work. A member has done it, just look around and you should be able to find it.
I read that swapping 08+ WRX struts and springs should be fairly straight-forward. Add some swaybars and you have yourself a Forester that will handle better than a WRX.

·
Registered
2008 X3
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way, I will be leasing, what if anything can you get away with without voiding your warranty?

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,961 Posts
That's a question best posed to your dealer. Since they will be doing the work, they can tell you what would void warranty. I found it really varies. One place I went to gave me a hard time about springs, another didn't care even with a long mod list.

·
Registered
2008 X3
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you say,"they will be doing the work". Does that mean that as I will be leasing my only option is to have the dealer do the work? And isn't the cost at the dealer going to be ridiculous?

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,961 Posts
I mean "they do the work" if/when they have to do any warranty work.

Honestly, I'm not sure if they would let you outsource warranty repairs, but I doubt it.
If you're talking about maintenance work, it depends. Some warranties require you to do all maintenance at the dealer, they are usually the extended type. But for the original warranty, I believe, you can just keep records to show if it becomes necessary. Look over your lease and warranty info, they can be written differently.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
You happen to be in the same quandary that I am in. I have leased my MY09XT and I love it but want to get more out of it. How much, well I'd like to be above 300HP and Torque, have an awesome suspension set-up wheels tires, the works. Is this achievable for me. I have pondered this for a while, I have the FOZ for a bit over 1 year now. The answer is NO.....well for me. While I have done some mods (very minor), you can see them here...http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/hot09xt-journal-55428/, they are the type I can live with if I have to give them up. You know when the lease is up. I may buy the FOZ at the end, let it go and get another, or get something else. I have owned sooo many vehicles now I really don't get too attached any more, when I was younger yeah but things change and vehicles are changing even faster than before IMO. If that weren't the case then I would not be in this vehicle now. I will say that I really do love my FOZZIE. I am very impressed. For the $$$ I spent and what I have gotten and what the vehicle is capable of, it a winner for me. Back to mods........I will probably do F&R sway bars with end-links. Maybe some other minor stuff that can be swapped to another or sold if I make a move from Subaru. Regarding warranty, as said, it depends on your dealer, mine is great and the guys there are modding people, they race, sponsor races/events so IMO they are more apt to help me out. That being said there is the issue about not using SOA parts that have been designed by Subaru for the MY09+ Forester. Subaru just hasn't come out yet with them. Subaru is very very, did I say very, slow to act on this though they eventually do. This is how I see it form my research, some may disagree but look at what they have for the euro and especially JDM markets. So to conclude I would say "if money is not an issue and you want to turn faster than an STI for cheap, go for it". For a short lease I don't think, generally speaking, much will fail that you will have to worry about. Just maintain it. Subbies when maintained can be and are very durable. Just don't get too extreme.

Oh, I forgot to mention..........the other reason I haven't done much modding (engine wise) is that there was a "stop sale" issued on the MY09XT. Some have slipped thru Subaru's rigorous testing :raspberry:. Of those, some have failed early in life and some later, so who knows if mine will. This is just something I am living with.

I Hope this reply helps you somewhat. On a lease I wouldn't get too crazy unless you are leasing thinking you will not like the vehicle and can walk away if so. I think you may, like most new to Subaru (present company included) that I have seen here, really like/enjoy the Forester.......the Turbo more so, except for the engine failure.
I have only seen an occasional......"I don't like this vehicle".

·
Registered
2008 X3
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Hot for your informative reply, I am really wondering if I can get away with new springs and struts and maybe something minor(???) to bump the horsepower up a bit. Both the service advisors that I spoke with made it sound like it was verboten when leasing, but my guess is that they have to say that.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Thanks Hot for your informative reply, I am really wondering if I can get away with new springs and struts and maybe something minor(???) to bump the horsepower up a bit. Both the service advisers that I spoke with made it sound like it was verboten when leasing, but my guess is that they have to say that.
I would guess that also. My feeling is that the XT has plenty of power now, could be more, but if you were to do just the sway bars and end links you will notice a substantial increase in handling. This will allow you to be able to push the FOZ better thru turns and curves. Tires would also help. I would start there and then move forward if you wish. That MOD shouldn't be more than $500 max with everything, maybe less. Maybe $1300 with tires. As I stated the nicer part, well for me, is that the SB's and EL's can be remove at the end of the lease very easily and swapped to another or sold. Heck you could even sell the OEM tires. Those items will sell no problem, people are always looking for sway bars and tires for the Fozzie.
Glad to be able to offer you some input!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts