Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
MY07 Forester 2.0X, 2.5XT 5M, 4EAT
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lads, what is the best windscreen washer fluid you used? Do you care, do you see any difference between brands?

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
I use the blue ready to use stuff. Thinking of changing to the Prestone stuff for winter as it has a Rainex type additive in it.

·
Registered
00 I've had allsorts both
1,376 Posts
As eluded to above...Rainex own brand is the best...i use their spray for cleaning the windows, it is very good :icon_razz:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I used rain-x water repellent and anti-fog and these are good products but the downside I find is that they leave a bit of a film and such cause a bit of glare especially during the winter months when the sun is at low angle...I run through quite a fortune of windscreen concoctions: Comma concentrated (excellent), Tripple QX (ECP brand, very good), Lidl own brand (very good)- all were more than decent and at right concentration provided the required anti-freezing protection. Best I used so far though is this german 1z Kristallklar staff einszett Anti-Frost Washer Fluid - window washer fluid - anti-freeze - concentrate - different league- as if glass was not there...anybody else here tried it?

·
Registered
2006 Was an XT PPP Manual
175 Posts
I used rain-x water repellent and anti-fog and these are good products but the downside I find is that they leave a bit of a film and such cause a bit of glare especially during the winter months when the sun is at low angle...I run through quite a fortune of windscreen concoctions: Comma concentrated (excellent), Tripple QX (ECP brand, very good), Lidl own brand (very good)- all were more than decent and at right concentration provided the required anti-freezing protection. Best I used so far though is this german 1z Kristallklar staff einszett Anti-Frost Washer Fluid - window washer fluid - anti-freeze - concentrate - different league- as if glass was not there...anybody else here tried it?
Not tried their washer fluid but I do keep my gussets supple with a bit of Gummi Pflege. Mmmmmm... gummi.

·
Registered
2015 Fiat van Man stick
4,808 Posts
CLEAN YOUR WASHER BOTTLE WITH STERIDENT DENTURE CLEANING TABLETS FIRST.

Pop a hand full in and leave overnight. Then place a hose on slow trickle in bottom of washer bottle until totally clear of debris. Don't use washers in the phase.

Next get the prestone washer concentrate from Tescos. First use it neat to get a coating on your glass. Next use it at 5:1 forever and you will hardly need your wipers.

I've used rainex but the prestone is better but you need to use it neat first to make it work right.

·
Registered
2015 Fiat van Man stick
4,808 Posts
Yes, the dissolve any grime in the bottle so you don't get grimy water/fluid being pumped out. Makes a difference I promise.

·
Registered
2015 Fiat van Man stick
4,808 Posts
A clean bottle makes a big difference. Do the sterident trick first and you'll have crystal clear jets too.

·
Registered
00 I've had allsorts both
1,376 Posts
You could also use your Toothbrush to clean inside those hard to get places in the bottle!

I remember as a kid, that when you got a love bite after a passionate session in a back alley with a young hot-teen girl, Toothpaste was good for covering it up in the morning so your parents never saw it!

Anyone else got any good Dental tips?

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5XT Auto
20 Posts
CLEAN YOUR WASHER BOTTLE WITH STERIDENT DENTURE CLEANING TABLETS FIRST.

Pop a hand full in and leave overnight. Then place a hose on slow trickle in bottom of washer bottle until totally clear of debris. Don't use washers in the phase.
'scuse me for being very thick....so to get the steradent, water, and bits of freed-up gunk out, basically pop a hose in and let it continually overflow out of the top until it's running clear?

·
Registered
2004 FSTI 6 MT
140 Posts
Best I used so far though is this german 1z Kristallklar staff einszett Anti-Frost Washer Fluid - window washer fluid - anti-freeze - concentrate - different league- as if glass was not there...anybody else here tried it?
Yep, this is the one to go for. I'm a big fan of the Einszett products, been using them for a few years now. The nice thing with the screenwash, is that you buy the concentrate for year round use, then only need to add the seperate anti freeze in the winter.

This is also the stuff that Mercedes/BMW etc, sell under their own brand.

Here's the UK site: - einszett car care products UK

Also Gummi Pflege'd all my rubbers this weekend - :icon_biggrin: (Stops them sticking in the freezing weather)..

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, this is the one to go for. I'm a big fan of the Einszett products, been using them for a few years now. The nice thing with the screenwash, is that you buy the concentrate for year round use, then only need to add the seperate anti freeze in the winter.

This is also the stuff that Mercedes/BMW etc, sell under their own brand.

Here's the UK site: - einszett car care products UK

Also Gummi Pflege'd all my rubbers this weekend - :icon_biggrin: (Stops them sticking in the freezing weather)..
I actually mix summer and winter staff- have a deep belief in cleansing power of alcohol (apart from anti-freeze function)...Also heard that it's what BMW and MB sell as their own "OEM fluid"...I came across this brand while looking for a decent AC evaporator cleaner Einszett Air Conditioning Cleaner Klima Cleaner - I use it "my own way" (not a secret way can elaborate) every time I change the pollen filter and it works very well!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, the dissolve any grime in the bottle so you don't get grimy water/fluid being pumped out. Makes a difference I promise.
did you get a limescale or some sort of scale, or sediment there?

·
Registered
2015 Fiat van Man stick
4,808 Posts
My bottle on my car had grime in it after only 6 months from brand new. It had done 20k miles through the winter though so had been filled many times. You can remove the bottle from your car if you like dismantling things but this way is much easier - works for thermos flasks too!

Process as follows.

1. Fill washer bottle to 5cm from the top with just water.
2. Add one sterident tab per litre of water or use Milton baby bottle cleanser.
3. Leave a good while, overnight is best.
4. Put your clean hose pipe in the washer bottle filler neck and slide it to the bottom.
5. Turn tap on at a gentle flow.
6. Leave until it runs perfectly clear and all grime has been washed out.

The reason you need the hose into the bottom is so that you get a flow from bottom to top so all the debris is washed out. You'll be amazed at what comes out. Just don't operate you squirters while in the cleaning process as you'll get all the crap into the lines and nozzles.

Once cleaned you can add your washer fluid. Prestone is best added neat for the first washer bottle full. They do a nice 5 ltr container you just pour straight in. Within a few miles of use you'll notice water beading where the squirters hit the window. This spreads till the whole windscreen is like it. http://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&a...centrated-screen-wash-all-seasons-10992-p.asp

I carry a plant mister of the same stuff for side windows and mirrors on long journeys. I have a cut down squeedgy I use to clean off the spray and hey presto I have immaculate windows which rain can't stick too.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info. How did it come to your attention? was it blocking the nozzles? or floating up the filler neck?
I always use alcohol based/winter type fluid and mostly distilled water. Occasionally tap water which is very soft where I live. Not aware of any dirt issue there but will give the bottom of the tank a close look at next opportunity.
I suppose wrong staff must have gone to yours at some point. I could imagine neat water blooming (warm, stagnant etc.)...Supposedly windscreen fluid has a potential to be a major health hazard...
Never tried Prestone. It contains some "treatment", rainx type gizmo. I'm in two minds about these.

·
Registered
2015 Fiat van Man stick
4,808 Posts
The prestone works amazingly well. My first go on it was when it was the first stuff I picked up. I drive anything up to 400-600 miles in one go with work so I am picky about what I use for screen wash and wiper blades. Only the best will do.

I may be a bit excitable when it comes to a clean washer bottle?

My cars just over a year old now but nudging 40k. It only ever has clean washer mix put in from 5ltr can I keep in stock. I'm not pouring gunk in but certainly got some out.

We will have to have a washer bottle inspection on Saturday. The grimey ones can park in the corner.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts