Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One option is to replace the entire head unit and the other is to put a receiver thingy and mount it somewhere out of the way. Have you guys done anything clever with the receiver while still being able to access it easily? I probably should replace the head unit but I'd like to see if I have other good options.

·
Registered
431 Posts
My recommendation..... if you're only going to listen to it in your car, replace the HU. If you want to be able to take it inside, get a PNP (plug 'n' play). I personally have the JVC sr2000. It has a suction cup mount that is in the lower left corner of my windshield. The FM modulator sounds like crap, so I connected it to my HU via the Aux. in. It sounds great now. My HU = Clarion http://clarion.com/us/en/products/2005/audio/source_units/cd/DXZ555MP/us-en-product-pf_1133851137392.html
Yep, she's Sirius ready, but I like the versatility of the PNP.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I have a JVC HU that is Sirius compatible. I ended up buying a Starmate Sirius tuner instead of the Sirius add-on kit for my radio. The add-on kit for JVC/Kenwood/Alpine HU runs about $50, and I paid $80 for the Starmate unit. The add-on kit would be stuck in the car, but the Starmate unit can be used in my house, at work and in my car. Since my JVC has 2 AUX inputs I can still directly connect the Starmate to my JVC HU and get the best sound possible. No RF is needed.

I mount the Starmate in the pocket below the HU with a simple piece of velco, and I can just close the cover if I want to hide the unit all the way. It is also a perfect size to mount it in one of the Sunglass holders like I've seen several people do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts