Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premium 6M
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

For non-mechanical reasons I won't get into, I can't leave my car unlocked and running to warm up. I can leave it running, but it must be locked.

Right now what I do is unlock the car with my fob key, start it with my Valet key, leave it in Neutral w/ E Brake, and then lock each of the car doors manually. I can't lock the doors with the automatic options because the fob is disabled while the engine is on, and the doors automatically unlock if the button is pushed on the doors.

This might be the only way to do it, but I figured I'd ask. Also, not *really* a problem, but this is the best section for this.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,529 Posts
We sometimes start our Foresters to let them warm up with the doors locked. Here's what we do:

[1] Start the engine.
[2] While standing outside, use the driver's door switch to lock all the doors, then manually unlock the driver's door (don't use the electric switch).
[3] While standing outside, manually lock the driver's door (don't use the electric switch) & close the door.
[5] The keyless function won't work when the engine is running, so the driver's door has to be opened with the key.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

Reactions: EJH

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
A remote starter sounds like the best and easiest option here.

Not sure of an alternative other than how you are doing it now.

·
Administrator
40,529 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premium 6M
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well... The first time I went to do this with the valet key I gave my self a surprise so... The panic alarm goes off from the mechanical key.

Also my car is a 6M so I don't think remote start is an option.

·
Administrator
40,529 Posts
Perhaps the SJ ('14+) is different? On the SG ('03-'08), the security system is disabled when the engine is running.

I'm assuming the panic alarm went off, with the engine running, when you unlocked the door with the key? :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,000 Posts
I do it a little differently than 2.5x. Here's my method i've been using for the past week when it's been -3 outside in the mornings... 2010X

Outside: click unlock once on the fob (unlocks drivers door only)
Get in, start engine
Get out, use second key to lock drivers door from outside (manually, not using a fob)
Go inside house and drink warm coffee, read newspaper, and let car warm up
Back to car and Unlock drivers door with key (manually, not using a fob)

Never sounded the alarm.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premium 6M
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Know what? I'm a dumbass and can't read. You are right, your method will work alarm free.

·
Registered
2009 Foz XT Limited Auto
369 Posts
Remote starting is possible on manual cars, using certain remote starters. There is a safety (and complicated) procedure you must do so you don't remote start the car while it's in 1st gear. (heard about a local guy with a manual transmission truck that disabled some stuff about that, and eventually ended up in the neighbor's garage trying to start his truck)

·
Registered
2014 Forester auto
4 Posts
This being my first post I would like to say “Thank You” for helping me with the instructions on locking and re-entering the locked doors while the motor is running. Sure makes me appreciate our other vehicle's ability to lock or relock doors with the key fob while the motor is running.

I am new to the Subaru product line and have a lot to read and learn. To that I have a request. Please read the following. This is taken from the 2014 Forester Owners Manual on page 2-7:

NOTE

Make sure that you do not leave the key

inside the vehicle before locking the

doors from the outside using the power

door locking switches.

& Key lock-in prevention function

This function prevents the doors from

being locked under the following conditions.

. The key is still in the ignition switch

(models without “keyless access with

push-button start system”)

. The ignition switch is in the “ON”

position (models with “keyless access with

push-button start system”)

This function’s operational/non-operational

setting can be changed by a

SUBARU dealer. Contact a SUBARU

dealer for details.

NOTE

. The factory setting (default setting)

for this function is set as “operational”.

. When leaving the vehicle, make sure

you are holding the key before locking

the doors

It says the ’Subaru Dealer’ can change this setting. Therefore my interpretation of changing this setting over to the “non-operational” setting would allow the owner to lock the car with the key in the ignition and the motor running by using either the master or sub-master (just push the lock / unlock button). This will eliminate having the step of having to insert a key into the door to lock / unlock when the engine is running.

Am I correct in what I am reading?

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Premium CVT
81 Posts
Also my car is a 6M so I don't think remote start is an option.
Factory remote start isn't an option. You can install an aftermarket one (which is better anyway) you just have to be extremely careful to make sure you leave it in neutral. You won't be able to have a shop install this for you, you would have to do it yourself or have a friend do it.

·
Registered
2014 Forester auto
4 Posts
Took the car to the dealership to see about having the locking function switched from the factory operational setting over to the non-operational setting and they did it with no charge.

I was hopping when they switched the set-up over we would be able to lock or unlock the car using the master / sub master key with the engine running. Unfortunately this did not happen and that is a disappointment!!

Here is what changed by switching over to the non-optional function:

1- Outside: click unlock once on the fob (unlocks drivers door only)

2- Get in, start engine

3- [HERE IS THE CHANGE] Before you get out of the drivers seat, reach over and push the lock button on the drivers door! The door will lock and stay.

4- Go inside house and let car warm up.

5-When you come back to car to leave you must manually insert the key into the lock cylinder to unlock drivers door (you can “not” use the button on the fob)

All this does is eliminate one step of having to insert a key into the door to lock the car when the engine is running. Wouldn’t you agree this is kind of a disappointment?

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,000 Posts
lol, no. Back in the olden times we had to use keys to lock and unlock the doors EVERY time! Man life was rough back then.

·
Registered
2014 Forester auto
4 Posts
Inspector - I appreciate you comments about “. . . . in the olden times we had to use keys to lock and unlock the doors EVERY time!”

Makes me laugh because the first three cars I ever drove were exactly as you explained - ha, ha!! I just didn’t realize how hard times were back then. Now that I am thinking about it just before the “olden times” we didn’t even have to worry about locking the car or the house! Oh how the time have changed!!

·
Registered
2014 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
92 Posts
How Do I Lock Car and Leave Running?

I am about to take delivery on a new 2014 Forester 2.5i Touring with keyless entry.

Here is what I would like to do:
Leave the car run so A/C operates and be able to lock car so I can leave it parked and cool inside. When I was testing the car I tried starting engine, taking FOB out of car with me and locking the doors with the "emergency" key that slides out of the FOB.

The door would not lock. :icon_sad:

I did not try playing any more but is there a way to this? Can I open a window, reach in and push the lock button on the arm rest and then use the automatic "up" feature? Will the "emergency key" open the door, assuming the door locks and stays locked?

Thanks for any help....

Tim

·
Registered
2014 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
92 Posts
Is there any magical way to do this on a 2014 With the PushButton Start feature?

I tried: starting engine, taking FOB outside car and locking with the "emergency" key in the side of the FOB.

Door would not lock.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
276 Posts
lol, no. Back in the olden times we had to use keys to lock and unlock the doors EVERY time! Man life was rough back then.
:lol: I couldn't even begin to count the number of times I heated a key with a cigarette lighter to open a frozen lock! Then my wife found one of those battery-powered lock melters. Keyless entry for me now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts