Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the dreaded suspension knock again, had them refurbished once already so disappointed that it has come back so soon.

After chatting with the TDR guys, I think that the best option will be to replace rather than getting them repaired every year.

Any suggestions? I'm not interested in super expensive coil-overs or anything, just a same or slightly better quality replacement would do as the handling is fine for me at the moment.

Cheers,

Tom.

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI
586 Posts
Bc racing is what I’m running. They’re pretty good for road use. It’s transformed my FSTI. Meister R is also an option as is tein. All similarly priced around £800...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that 800 per pair or would that do all four corners?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI
586 Posts
All four corners pal. I don’t know of any that would sell them in a pair.

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice one chaps, will look at those options.

Easy job to swap them? Would like to have a go myself, but it's not something that you can get halfway through and realise that you need someone else to finish it off!

Tom.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Forester Sti
327 Posts
You will need spanners/sockets as below:

17/19mm for the two large strut bolts, I think...
10mm for the brake lines
12mm for the strut tops

That's about it if you are just swapping struts in a coilover conversion, oh and an alignment of course.

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI
586 Posts
Keep drowning the bolts on the up rights where they connect to the suspension arms/hubs in penetrating fluid or wd40 for a few days prior just incase anything puts up a fight.

My brother done mine in a couple of hours.

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,583 Posts
It's not difficult, even someone with limited experience like me has managed to do it, just take your time.

Reactions: twade76

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nice one, will have a go myself i think then!

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,537 Posts
Tom take it to TDR to do it and the alignment at the same time . also the teins are height adjustable, you could lower it a smidge (not a lot) and new track rod ends will tighten things up no end, and will help to get the best out of your new investment .
Also for peanuts change out your front arb bushes (makes a tremendous difference) good luck.

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers Will, I've already asked them for a price, just waiting for them to get back to me. I'd definitely prefer to get the professionals to do it, it just all depends on the price.

I like having a go at these things myself but I know when I'm out of my depth.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
I had never thought about this, does anyone know what size the factory front arb is?

Edit - found it. 20mm ordering some now.
From memory, in a facelift it's 20mm.

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hmm, £850 for supply or £1100 for supply, fit and alignment for BC racing BR coil overs at TDR.

It's right on the price limit, any less and I'd definitely get them to do it, any more and I'd definitely do it myself.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Considering most places charge £100+ for a 4-wheel alignment (ditto a rip-off price), I'd say TDR's price is spot on.
It took me 4hrs from memory to get the suspension swapped but a professional with a ramp could do it faster.

Reactions: twade76

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
866 Posts
Offered cash?

A garage I've used in the past would do things cheaper for cash..

..then again, I won't use them anymore due to a couple things...

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Worth a try.

They did say that I can supply the parts and they will fit them, so may be able to save a few quid that way as well. Might be more trouble than its worth though as i can just take it back to them if there are any problems if they supply it.

Tom.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts