Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a change to 17" wheels & am asking for advice on tyre choice.

I think that 225 x 55 x 17 would be the best size for me but I have no idea which make & model of tyre to go for.

So, if any UK members can help, it would be much appreciated.

P.S. I have been looking at the Scoobynet group buys on wheels. My wheel choice is likely to be Rota GRA (Tarmac II) in bronze if I can get it.
They have 2 deals running - one with Rare Rims & one with Midland Wheels. Midland are cheaper but am I right in assuming that their group buy wheels are Rota copies & not originals:?:

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Just (yesterday) gone onto federal 595's in 225/50/17 from camskill at 70 a corner. Some of the SGP guys use them and *really* rate them.

Won't be able to compare to the previous toyo's until I've scrubbed them in....

Steve

·
Registered
249 Posts
Falken Tyres

I'm with Andy on this. I've got Falken 225/50/17's - just bought some new from Camskill at £63 a tyre.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys - the Falkens are a very good price! - Can you describe the characteristics on the road?

·
Premium Member
2001 S-Turbo Auto
305 Posts
The Falken ZE512 give high levels of dry and wet grip IMHO Very similar to the Goodyear Eagle F1s I had my old Impreza.

I don't like Toyos and Pirellis as I found that although they were progressive at letting go, they let go too soon.

I always preferred tyres like the Goodyear Eagle F1 and Bridgestone SO2, which have high levels of grip, but don't give much warning when letting go. Then again I don't drive to those sorts of limits.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Another Falken fan here.

As well as the original Geolanders, I've also tried Pirelli P6000s, Hankook K102s (reviewed reasonably well on mytyres) and ZE512s.

In my opinion the ZE512s are by far the best. They were excellent in both wet and dry, were very predictable, inspired huge amounts of confidence, and were remarkably quiet. Tyre wear was also better than I'd expected.

The P6000s were only marginally better than the Geolanders, and the K102s are ok but just don't feel 'right', particularly in the wet when they seem quite skittish.

I'd have no hesitation in going back to ZE512s, which is precisely what I'll do next (or was until Steve introduced the Federals as another option :wink: ).

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the information, just what I was after - all I need now is a buyer for my 16" wheels & tyres! Am I asking too much?

Any views on the Group Buys for wheels on Scoobynet? (See first post).

BTW Ordered a set of 4 mudflaps from SubaruGenuineParts.com. They have them in my colour (Champagne Gold Opal) on a special. With shipping, it comes out at 83 dollars (whatever they are :p ).

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Tentenths said:
I'd have no hesitation in going back to ZE512s, which is precisely what I'll do next (or was until Steve introduced the Federals as another option :wink: ).

I'll wait until they have a few miles under them before making a judgement. They look like they should perform - but so do many others. Even brand new the lateral grip is surprisingly good ( 3 times round the island off the A3 at Esher at increasing velocities ;) )

At worst it's an alternative in the same price bracket..

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Rare Rims are Rotas , Midland wheels are rota copies.

That's actually less of an issue than it appears as rota's are already copies of other existing designs ( the popular ones are very similar to the Prodrive P7 and PFF7 wheels )

So is a copy of a copy any 'worse' than a 1st generation copy ???

Steve

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So is a copy of a copy any 'worse' than a 1st generation copy ???
I guess it comes down to the production quality of each.

In theory, a 'copy of a copy' could be the better wheel.

Question is, has anyone compared a Midland 'copy of a Rota' to Rota?

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
Hi mate - Just on the off chance I'll likely be selling my 17" oem FXT wheels shortly if you're interested..complete with geosquealers tho unfortunately ;)

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi,

Is anyone running with Toyo Proxes t1R tyres?

They come in a 225 x 55 x 17 which would be closest in size to my current 16"s with Geos. Tyre calculator says it will read 2.2% slow, i.e speedo says 60 - car doing 61.3. As my speedo currently reads fast, speedo says 60 car doing 55, this should make it a bit more accurate.

The Impreza lads seem to like them but maybe not so good on Foresters?

Cost about £98 each in UK

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
yeah me as of a couple of hours ago ! ;) :)

I have to say that the change to the ride and handling on the way home was nothing short of dramatic on the 18's over the 17's with the geolanders..
Ride was much firmer but not harsh, control and handling really transformed.
Was very akin to the difference I had on the WRX when I had the prodrive springs and geometry done - a real change for the better :D

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Pete,

Once your tyres have bedded in, can you let me know your thoughts on the 18" wheels with the 225x45 Toyos?

I can't decide if I should go for the 17" with a 225x55 or 18" with a 225x50. I do not want to gain extra grip at the expense of a harsh ride so it would be good to get feedback on your 225x45s - if you are still happy in a couple of weeks with the 45s - I should be fine with the 50s.

Thanks,

Ian :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
1) OEM offset of a 2005 Forester wheel is ET48 - different to Impreza - and you should not stray too far from that. Any more and you may get strut fouling issues.

2) 225/55x17 at 679mm rolling diameter is the wrong size replacement for OEM 16". OEM 215/60x16 is 664mm and the closest replacement in 17" is 225/50x17 which is 657mm diameter. :)

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Traction T/A tires are a good choice if you'll driving on dry/snow covered roads..

Our accord with them slipps less in the snow then my forester since I'm running some cheapo tires from the dealership

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Welcome back Dave btw :)

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Dave TS,

I have been checking tyre specs on manufacturer's websites & you are absolutely correct, the 50 profile tyre is the best alternative in a 17.

My figures differ a little from yours,
i.e.
I have Stock 215/60/16 at 665.5 mm - (Geolanders)
with 225/50/17 Falken ZE-512s are shown as 662mm

Anyway - pretty d*m close either way.

My original choice came from the Miata tyre calculator but that seems to be a bit 'broad brush' in the results & does not allow for differences betwen Tyre Brands size for size.

I have more or less decided to go for Rota Subzeros, 17" - 48 offset - in silver with a polished rim (I wanted gunmetal but that's only available in 18" here in UK). The tyres will be Falken ZE-512s in 225/50/17. I looked at TOYO T1Rs in the same size but they were over 50% more expensive & I would be worried about going over anything other than a tarmac surface for fear of trashing a tyre costing £105 fitted!

Ian :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have just ordered anthracite 17x7J OZ Ultraleggeras ET48 with 225/55 97H Pirelli Scorpion STR tyres - which get good reviews on the US sites. I know the sizing isn't perfect, but it's the only all-season tyre I can get out here (apart from Yokohama's). Need 17" to clear the 4 pots that are coming next..

Suresh

1 - 20 of 20 Posts