Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2010 Subaru Forester Premium and am looking to upgrade the Front and Rear Sway Bars and End Links.

I am hoping to increase handling on dry pavement as much as possible but at the same time am hoping to still have some very good traction on off road situations.

Can anyone recommend the best set-up and manufacture for these parts?

I did see that Perrin Performance had both Front and Rear sway bars available but the Fronts come in 22mm and 25mm and I am not too sure which size would be best. Also...they indicate on their website that the handling characteristics of their sway bar configs allow for multiple adjustments. Has anyone tried the Perrin sway bars and what has your experience been in adjusting this set-up for different feel?

One last question...Perrin states that the stock sway bars are 21mm so does actually increasing the sway bars to 22mm (Front) actually make that much of a difference or should i stick to the 25mm upgraded size?

·
Registered
2009 X Limited
141 Posts
The stock setup I think is 22mm up front and 16mm in back. I upgraded my rear to a Perrin 19mm while keeping the front stock and the handling was much improved. There is now a lot less understeer.

Keep in mind that sway bar stiffness depends on parameters beyond just diameter, such as how it is mounted. For example, there are 3 settings on my 19mm RSB and I picked the stiffest one (the one where the arm is shortest). So even if two bars have the same diameter, they may have different stiffness. Cheers! :Banane35:

·
Registered
2010 X-Premium M/T
91 Posts
java ... did you replace the endlinks also, or stay with the stock ones? If you did, what links did you go with?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I got the whiteline 20mm adjustable bar and have it set on Medium....Im very happy with the change so far....Adding the rear bar induces oversteer to negate AWD tendency to understeer initally. Ive pushed it with spirited driving on the stock geolanders and the tires squeal when theyre about to break traction, but Ive never felt out of control. Saying that, the tires have a soft sidewall and upgrading the bars you feel it more as the tires now become the weak link.

·
Registered
2009 X Limited
141 Posts
java ... did you replace the endlinks also, or stay with the stock ones? If you did, what links did you go with?
It was recommended that I change the endlinks. However since I went with a 19mm bar (not that stiff) and the car wouldn't be pushed that hard, I kept the stock ones. If I save up a bit, I might get the Kartboy ones - they look nice and beefy, but it'll have to wait.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
We have the whiteline 20mm rsb non adjustable on our 2010x(see sig below for link to that journal). So far I like the bar. It helps the car oversteer. I am looking at the 22mm fsb in the future. I wish the oem sti fsb fit the non turbo models!

And for reference, see my journal for photos of the bars diameters measured with digital calipers.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
Ok so I sold some stuff and fixed some computers and got some money to buy something and I really think the RSB is what I want.

The Perrin 19mm is listed as for the XT on their site but I'm almost positive it's the same for the XT and NA models (can someone confirm for me?) and it's a $100 cheaper than the whiteline one
Perrin Performance - Swaybar Rear 19mm

Whiteline Automotive - performance handling and suspension products. car spring coil shock damper swaybar sway bar anti-sway bush bushes australia australian whiteline automotive performance road holding turn-in camber caster toe in vehicle hot 4 v8

would going with the Whiteline 20mm really be $100 worth of a difference?

It's my DD and I just need a little bit better handling, no auto Xing or anything like that.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thats the whiteline bar I got. The reason it cost a little more is because it comes with those 2 reinforcement bars that attach to the diff carrier. I havent installed mine yet because I dont think i will ever take this foz to the track. I may sell them I dunno.
The other thing is the the design element. People will go back and forth about which one is better, the perrin has welds while the whiteline is one smooth bar with no welds (im not going to debate which is better, tired subject)

Whiteline sells the RSB w/o the reinforcement bars also that will make it cheaper.

Like you, I just wanted less roll from MY10 and put some fun into driving. You wont go wrong with either one IMO

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
ok thanks for the response, I really don't think I need diff reinforcement bars and I can't really see a reason to justify the extra $100 so I think I'm going to order up the perrin one.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Sport-Tech
169 Posts
I'm interested in adding a RSB to my soon-to-be MY10 Touring, but what about a front strut bar? Would that be better than an upgraded FSB?

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
Tuned200 ... I dig your journal site on the 2010! Well done!
I can take no credit. Tunergirl does all of the leg work.

Thats the whiteline bar I got. The reason it cost a little more is because it comes with those 2 reinforcement bars that attach to the diff carrier. I havent installed mine yet because I dont think i will ever take this foz to the track. I may sell them I dunno.
The other thing is the the design element. People will go back and forth about which one is better, the perrin has welds while the whiteline is one smooth bar with no welds (im not going to debate which is better, tired subject)

Whiteline sells the RSB w/o the reinforcement bars also that will make it cheaper.

Like you, I just wanted less roll from MY10 and put some fun into driving. You wont go wrong with either one IMO
I went with a non adjustable whiteline 20mm since I scored it for cheap from TiC.

My concern isnt with rear roll as now the car feels "loose" in the corners but with front roll. The front needs a sway bad.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
I'm interested in adding a RSB to my soon-to-be MY10 Touring, but what about a front strut bar? Would that be better than an upgraded FSB?
No, a strut bar doesnt do much imo. A sway actually keeps the body roll down. The strut bar just keeps flex down/

·
Registered
2010 Forester N/A 5spd
24 Posts
jkoppee i was also wondering if it will fit our car also.I called Perrin and the rep told me he wasn't sure.Dont know what to do:confused:

·
Registered
2010 Forester Sport-Tech
169 Posts
No, a strut bar doesnt do much imo. A sway actually keeps the body roll down. The strut bar just keeps flex down/
But doesn't chassis flex add to body roll? Or would it not as noticeable as an upgraded FSB? I would assume that also holds true for the rear....
Oh, and thanks for the response.

·
Registered
2013 WRX Manual
135 Posts
I have whiteline 24mm front and 22mm rear sways off my 08 wrx. If these will work on your foz i would be more than happy to sell them as a pair for $340.00 + shipping. I also have BC BR coilovers that may work too. PM me if youre interested

1 - 20 of 33 Posts