Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Auto
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've searched high and low. I can't seem to find somebody who makes a performance strut designed to withstand a higher spring rate. I'm looking into swift springs, and my car is at 75,000 miles. It's probably a good time to replace the struts when I install the swifts. I'm told by Mann engineering that my struts will wear out faster with the swifts. They recommend buying factory replacement struts when using swifts. But my question is, why would I do that if they'll wear out faster and not last up to what they were designed for? So I start looking for an aftermarket strut, all I can find is kyb and Monroe. These are only factory replacement struts, and won't last any longer than factory forester struts from subaru..
Would a wrx strut be longer lasting and have more performance options with forester specific swift springs? I read somewhere that wrx struts are shorter than forester....
I don't wanna lower my car any more than what swift springs lower it... Any ideas?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 6MT DCCD (helical)
2,248 Posts
The KYB Excel G/GR-2 replacement struts are valved slightly stronger/firmer than OEM. This will be just right for the Forester specific Swifts.

WRX struts are definitely shorter and cannot be used with Forester designed springs.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
What about a wrx strut and forester swift springs?
Do you really think it's likely that a strut/spring combo that was not intended to work together will last longer than one that was specifically designed to do so? FWIW, my Swift springs/KYB-GR2 combo has lasted over 110k miles (over 7.5 years) now, and the struts are still not worn out.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Forester spring = Forester strut, Impreza spring = Impreza strut.

If Gary seems to think the OEM struts are a better choice than GR2s, he would know because he tested it. GR2s are much cheaper which is why most buy them instead of OEM struts.

Stan

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
I read a few report here a few years ago from people that used Swift spring with OEM strut and then change to GR2. Most of them notice that it was bouncier with GR2.
Based on what KYB market the GR2 for cars with tired suspension I suspect they boost compression damping to compensate sagging/weak spring and other worn suspension component. Using Swift with GR2 are basically not ideal since swift would need stronger rebound not stronger compression damping due to stiffer spring rate.

I would rather use Monroe OE spectrum with Swift than GR2.
OEM are way too expensive and I would rather use KONI for that money and that is what I have.

·
Registered
'08 SGM FSX Auto
398 Posts
Koni, Feal, or Tokicos......for high end of performance struts.

KYB AGX.......................for cheaper and decent performance.

KYB GR2........................for fixing OE suspension feel

Used OE struts...............for wasting money and getting pissed off after they clunk a month later

·
Registered
2008 2.5 FXT Limited 5Spd
81 Posts
Any views on difference between Monroe OE vs the KYB Excel-G/GR2's?

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
Most of the time I recommend Monroe I got slammed here. Monroe have big variety of shock and strut and some are really low quality.

I never try OE spectrum on Forester but tried it on other car. I was pleasantly surprised by the performance. The valving on OE spectrum are like poor man KONI FSD. They might last as long as KYB but if you do the work them self they come with lifetime warranty and a lot of local store carry it making warranty claim pretty convenient. The good thing is the safe and sound warranty give you 90 days to try the product and if you are not satisfied they would refund the purchase price plus $50 per axle to cover the labor. It would take 4-6 weeks to get the money back but at least you could get back.

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
I'm now at 100k miles on the OE struts, 85k of which have been on Forester Swifts. I can honestly say I still have not seen/felt/heard any issues with the struts. That said, I realize it's only a matter of time.

Perhaps due to my age and/or conservative driving style, I would not change any of the driving characteristics of the Swift spring/OE strut combination. When I finally replace the struts, I would want the new struts to perform exactly like the OE struts currently do. For that reason, the Monroe OE Spectrum would get a serious look.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Manual
33 Posts
Koni, Feal, or Tokicos......for high end of performance struts.

KYB AGX.......................for cheaper and decent performance.

KYB GR2........................for fixing OE suspension feel

Used OE struts...............for wasting money and getting pissed off after they clunk a month later
I cannot find the AGX for the forester - which means the AGX option would be to get the impreza/STI wagon version (and lower the car - thought I saw it's 30-50mm depending on what strut/springs you choose).

My ABS is kicking in way too freaking early on bumpy pavement - I need offroad capabilityand tow a boat regularly so I need atleast stock ride height if not 1" lift.

Will new struts fix the ABS issue? freaking scary.. car lurches when ABS comes on.

I think the Excel G's are self leveling.. seems some are and some aren't..

CONVENIENT 4 piece KIT for 2004 - 05 SUBARU Forester
Includes 4 KYB GR2 / ExcelG Part Numbers: 334370 334371 334345 334344
ALL Models w/Front Spring Seat Guards (Exc Self-Leveling Rear);

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Excel Gs are not self leveling. That add says the struts cover models excluding ones with self-leveling rear struts (in US, only LL Bean edition, '06?).

Assuming your tires are good and tire pressure is around 30psi, yes, new struts will fix your traction issue.

Stan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts