Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, as the title really. My engine bay is not the most spangley place sadly, but I've only had the car 10 days. I've never cleaned an engine bay before and the turbo boxer engine looks very crammed in with lots of stuff going off, electrical things and stuff.

So whats the best way of getting rid of 14 months worth of muck thats accumulated under the bonnet?

Thanks
Mick

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'd take off the intercooler, give it some sprays w/slightly diluted simple green, then give it a good wipedown.

Some friends of mine cover their alternator and battery, spray it w/simple green, then give it a good blast w/a pressure washer in fan mode.

·
Administrator
14,739 Posts
Yes & ditto - I cover the alternator with a plastic bag and use a pressure washer (at the car wash 'cause we're in drought and cannot use our hoses at home!)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone used engine degreaser? What's that like?

·
Casper reincarnated
2,246 Posts
I used to wash the engine of my '86 VL Holden Commodore and one day the engine refused to start.
Over a period og time a minute crack had apperared in the boot covering the lead for the crank angle sensor and this had let a teaspoon of water in and then it was cactus for the sensor.....$540.00AUD plus labour and retune at the time.

Nowadays I leave it to the dealer or a car detailer ensuring they understand they are responsible for any resulting problems in the future from their cleaning of the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I spray diluted Simple Green all around. I don't block anything off, but I don't spray the SG on the alternator either. Let is sit for a few minutes, then spray off with very light pressure/fine spray of water. Some areas may need some mild rubbing with a soft brush to help spread the SG around.

Engine degreaser shouldn't be needed, unless we're talking about caked on oil that has been there for years. That shouldn't happen with a Subie!

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
274 Posts
Sorry to go slightly off-topic but is the simple green pro-series cleaner/degreaser safe to use on the exterior? I want to remove bug goo and road grime from the front bumper and side skirts but I'm hesitating because I hear it's really powerful stuff.

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Tacoma DCSB Auto
1,932 Posts
Stoner Tarminator is what i like to use

Eurgiez said:
Sorry to go slightly off-topic but is the simple green pro-series cleaner/degreaser safe to use on the exterior? I want to remove bug goo and road grime from the front bumper and side skirts but I'm hesitating because I hear it's really powerful stuff.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,683 Posts
BenMara said:
Stoner Tarminator is what i like to use
Ah, brings me back to my first trip to the south--Ft Benning, Georgia, 1965 Mustang (along with about a third of the other lieutenants in my class), white in color. I had gotten tar spatters on the rocker panels from driving on a newly repaired road. Stopped at an auto parts store and asked for a can of "tar remover." Answer in the local dialect was something like, "I don't know what you could get in a can that you could use to remove your tars."

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
1,362 Posts
I've used Greased Lightning on my motor before and liked the results. *** Do NOT use on polished aluminum (CAI pipes ect) it will take the glossy finish down and turn it spotty.*** However it does not harm the dull finish on the cast aluminum engine parts. Then I rinse with a watering can or garden hose avoiding electrical areas.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,246 Posts
Eurgiez said:
Kerosene is great for removing tar spots and road grime in general.

I give my cars an annual Kero bath (wiped over with a rag) followed by a hosing down and then the normal wash with deterrgent and rinse followed by a chamios off, it's amazing the difference it makes to paint work.

·
Harbor Fright
2005 XT
363 Posts
bbottomley said:
Ah, brings me back to my first trip to the south--Ft Benning, Georgia, 1965 Mustang (along with about a third of the other lieutenants in my class), white in color. I had gotten tar spatters on the rocker panels from driving on a newly repaired road. Stopped at an auto parts store and asked for a can of "tar remover." Answer in the local dialect was something like, "I don't know what you could get in a can that you could use to remove your tars."

:spinnasmiley :spinnasmiley :spinnasmiley

Reminds me of the time I was a kid traveling to Florida with my parents (1977) and got stopped at a roadblock in GA. The cop (Ned Beatty in 'Deliverance' clone) explained that there were convicts on the loose, and warned us not to pick up any hitchhikers, followed with a "Y'all come back now, hear?" My fifteen year old a** could not stop laughing for the rest of the trip...

·
Registered
2006 2500X
113 Posts
As a motorcyclist for 59yrs ---well this is the start of my 60th year. The big problem is trying to keep the bikes clean & especially our competition bikes. Yes this is my 60th year of driving trucks or cars.

For some time I found Concentrated Gunk was the answer mixed with 50% Coal-Oil also called Kerosena. Still CONCENTRATED Gunk became hard to obtain & around '90 some young riders introduced me to Simple Green. You may see "Gunk" in many outomotive stores but it is so deluted that it is almost usless.

Still I found out Simple Green is avaliable in some places marked "All Purpose Cleaner" (like where household cleners are on the shelves) & in another department one will find "Simple Green Automotive". There is your deluted Simple Green & the Concentrated Simple Green with "Automotive" being the concentrated.

The lube to the chain drives of our m/cs, sprockets, & just bits of oil or such mixed with dirt, other dirty parts like the mess from the disc pads & calipers on our alloy wheels, is where I use the concentrated Simple Green. Usually I spray that area with water, apply the Concentrated Simple Green then wait a minute & hit it with water which will peal off the dirt/filth 100% or possibly 75% & if some still left well the water is already there so a bit more Simple Green, wait a minute, apply water & that is it.

Accidently I have splashed a bit of Automotive (Concentrated) Simply Green on the paint of the ABS plastic fairings & no damage. This Summer I will try using the "All Purpose Cleaner" Simple Green on some of the painted parts & feel, though I could be wrong, this will be the answer.

Like someone else said with road TAR then Kerosena or Coal Oil is what we used & is stillthe answer & to be honest back in the late 40s we used petrol or what you call gasoline. Though for sure Kerosena is far, far safer.

Hope the above helps though my '06 Forester of early February is so clean under the hood I have not thought of touching the power-plant.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've worked for the Forest Service for years and Simple Green consentrate is all we ever use on the work vehicles interior and exterior surfaces. Some of the exteriors of the work trucks get beat-up a lot, but the Simple Green keeps them nice and shinny.

NC

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
check dollar stores for stuff called Mean Green, cheapo version of simple green.
Just as powerful and cleans everything.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For bugs, the trick is to get them when they're hydrated. Attack them early in the morning while there is still dew on the car. Also I sometimes lay a wet bathtowel over them for a 1/2 hour.

WD-40 works well at removing tree sap.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts