Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to get the best preformance suspension set up. what would you guys recomend ( I want the name of the ones that will give the best preformace ) I dont want to buy coilovers and I know tires are a must.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
Define performance and purpose. Rally, Auto-X, street? hard to say unless we know what you plan on doing.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Do you want to keep it close to stock height? The only thing I can think of are the JDM Forester STi struts.

Or if height is no object, any Impreza fixed perch will fit. Koni, Ohlins, STi takeoffs....

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
height has to go ... i had a 05 RS on teins and i miss the stiffness .... I would say street ... i just wants something that will hug the corners and give me no problem in the canyons

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well how much would be a good amount to say ... getting struts, sway bars, rear strut bar... thats all i can think of at the moment

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Brand new FSTi RSB from subie gal ~100+
Used '04 STi take offs ~400-500+
'04 STi replica strut bars off ebay ~100+
Poltec endlinks~100+

Of course you can get things for cheaper but this is just a rough estimate.

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT touring CVT
981 Posts
You do not necessarily have to have Impreza struts if you can get your hands on some WRX springs only. Believe me, just swapping your stock springs for wrx wagon front and rear springs plus the 20mm rear sway bar will improve cornering substantially. I have WRX front springs combined with Tein H-Tech rears, STI rear sway bar, and 18" wheels and tires and my XT holds the road better than my WRX wagon ever did. In total, I have spent about $350 on suspension and I think it is a great setup for the road.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Don't forget camber bolts if you go with Impreza struts. You'll need them in the rear. That is your car i'm speaking of.

If you go with WRX springs on your stock struts, try and get something that is compatible with Impreza struts in case the stock struts don't cut it for you.

If you had Tein coilovers on your RS, you're probably better off going with Impreza struts. I doubt the stock struts will give you the control you're accoustomed to.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i dont want to cut corners on moding the suspension ... I want a bulletproof suspension and top of the line handling ...

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
I don't have any experience with different springs on the stock struts. I think it was tre36 who had WRX springs or STi springs on his stock struts and found it was still to boat like in the canyons.

Obviously what is considered "good" is highly subjective. I went ahead with Impreza coilovers as I didn't think I would ever get what I wanted, namely STi handling or better, with the stock struts. I couldn't be happier with my choice.

Like I said earlier, it sounds like you have a set of Impreza struts in your future!

·
Registered
79 Posts
i've had wrx struts and springs since two weeks after I purchased my forester. I would think OEM equipment is more 'bulletproof' then aftermarket options myself. The wrx combo is a huge improvement over stock, but an STi takeoff set would take that up another notch or two.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
815 Posts
I have STi springs on XT struts, and love the combination. The XT struts seem well damped for the spring rate of the STi springs. Daddy likey :cool: .

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts
Another vote for stock struts and STI springs... I love mine! All cost aside I'd go Fsti struts and springs Forshiza!!!

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
Fishdizzle said:
Im looking to get the best preformance suspension set up. what would you guys recomend ( I want the name of the ones that will give the best preformace ) I dont :mad: :mad: want to buy coilovers and I know tires are a must.
Come'on get a pulse! "Best Performance Suspension Setup"!!! and you don't want CO's.

Maybe a strut insert??? Give use a clue here guy. I'd love to whip you a best in class solution but define your needs. Maybe read up a bit. Ploney has a great setup, look there. Oh, and with the best setup you may want to know how to use it. Do you track or AX? And I'm not talkn 1/4 mile.

Sorry for the course words. There is so much in history that a blind question without defining your needs is so rude.:mad::mad: :mad:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I want the car to out handle an STI, mostly would be using this in the canyons ( tight turns ) . If I were to go into COs would the cost be worth the results? and which ones would be best to go with and the price?

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
Fishdizzle said:
I want the car to out handle an STI,
You'll need (for a stock FXT) wheels/tires like 17/18" with 225-245s 140 treadware rubber. Then brakes like the 4pots or BABK's to match the BREMBO's. Swaybars like the Whiteline 29mm or the Strano 32mm front and 25mm rear. At the least would be FSTI takeoffs to MeganRacingCO's to the highend type CO's like Cusco/Tien/Progress and others.

None of this will work without a tight "nut behind the wheel". I could sit in the best prepared STi at the local AX. It's driver will beat me every time using my car based on skill. My stock FXT will beat me with a good driver. Spend as much on your skills as on parts. Or maybe your to young to accept that skill will overcome mods.

And then there is the power difference btwn the two...

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wagn said:
You'll need (for a stock FXT) wheels/tires like 17/18" with 225-245s 140 treadware rubber. Then brakes like the 4pots or BABK's to match the BREMBO's. Swaybars like the Whiteline 29mm or the Strano 32mm front and 25mm rear. At the least would be FSTI takeoffs to MeganRacingCO's to the highend type CO's like Cusco/Tien/Progress and others.

None of this will work without a tight "nut behind the wheel". I could sit in the best prepared STi at the local AX. It's driver will beat me every time using my car based on skill. My stock FXT will beat me with a good driver. Spend as much on your skills as on parts. Or maybe your to young to accept that skill will overcome mods.

And then there is the power difference btwn the two...
Thank you that is what i have been looking for.

yeah i may be young but my skills are good ... out of all the people i have driving with or had drove in my car i would say with out a doubt better, everyone says that. i drive canyon runs 2 - 3 times a week so the skills are there not the best but they are there. just coming from a lowerd RS with sticky tires on it. made driving the stock FXT on the geosquealers just rediculuas

1 - 20 of 23 Posts