Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 MT
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... its that time, just turned 60,000 on my 04 FXT. I am going to be doing this routine maintaence in the next two months and I am curious to see where others have purchased these items. I have searched and not come up with much, did find a great walkthorugh that I will be using, but not much on purchasing these items.

So here is my queston... do I purchase OEM from a dealer or do I purchase from Ebay/net resource. I know a former Subie mechanic (gonna try to coax him into assisting me, a little beer should do the trick!!) who says he has purchased several "kits" containing these parts from an Ebay supplier and that they have worked great with no problems. I dont have the name of the Ebay store in front of me (on a sticky note at the office...) I will post it tomorrow.

Which would you do?? I know OEM is best but this "kit" is like $275 from Ebay. I want to protect my car and at the same time my wallet. I am also probably gonna do the turbo gaskets and the TSB on the banjo bolts in the AVCS system as well as change the inline filter in the turbo oil line. Any advise would be great!! Mods please move if in the wrong place!!

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Put together your parts list and have our Supporting Vendors, Annapolis Subaru and Grayson Subaru give you a quote. I know a lot of people order parts and accessories from Jackie at Annapolis, and I believe you also get a discount for being a member here. Going OEM might be less expensive than you think. Does the ebay kit list the replacement components?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 MT
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think so, I will have to look tommorow as I left the info at the office. I would prefer OEM, I buy everything OEM that I can, Getting a quote from those vendors is a good idea, I have purchased from both before and love the service I have gotten. I will post the parts list as soon as i can find it. Thanks and keep posting ideas/opinions!

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,942 Posts
Right! And head gasket is not a part of normal maintenance. Replace only if it fails.

Where did this 60k mile rumor start?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 MT
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats what I dont get, schedule says 105 but my mechanic who used to be subie mechanic (his dealership went under) says i should do that now due to turbo, heat, etc... so im not sure...

I found this on Ebay...

Timing Belt Kit Subaru Forester 2.5L 2003 2004 M/T : eBay Motors (item 360243002687 end time Jun-10-10 10:53:01 PDT)

if that link does not work let me know. I am also going to get a price from supporting vendors.

Head gasket is not leaking that I can see so I'm not sure what to do, I don't want a catastrophic failure because I didn't change something.

further opinions and or suggestions??

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
WOW... Your mechanic's full of doodoo. He's obviously trying to get you for the most $$$$ he can. I'd find a another shop, stat, and never go back there... Head gaskets aren't even an issue on the turbo models. Stick with the normal 60k items and go ape**** with replacing and re-sealing stuff at the 105k interval if you must.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 MT
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i didnt think so... i will inspect to see if leaking and if no issues, i wont mess them. i am gonna do spark plugs wires, ect then. I know those need changed. any other things to worry about at this mile point?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Check the maintenance schedule I linked in post #4.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
i didnt think so... i will inspect to see if leaking and if no issues, i wont mess them. i am gonna do spark plugs wires, ect then. I know those need changed. any other things to worry about at this mile point?
No spark plug wires as you have coil on plug ignition. I just did plugs, coolant, diff/trans fluid, brake fluid and the other regular maintenance at 60k.

At 110k my timing belt looked nearly new with just the printing worn. I did -everything- when I had the TB changed then.

I'd go OEM at least for all the pulleys, tensioner etc. If you can find a quality aftermarket water pump with the cast impeller design I'd possibly go with that over the stamped oem one. For belts I'd use either gates or OEM. Also when you do accessory belts, I'd also replace the A/C belt tensioner as they tend to fail and make quite a racket (mine went shortly after I had the timing belt replaced).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts