Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Automatic
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I popped my turbo last night and am going to just step up to a VF39. Where is the cheapest place to get a new one? I"ve gotten a quote at $1,000 for new, but not really sure how good that is. Any suggestions? thanks!

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
I'd scour the regional forums on Nasioc, so you could see the turbo in person. I-Club may be a good resource for finding a used turbo.

If you're going to spend $1k on a new turbo, the FP hta68 may be a good option.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5spd
236 Posts
I popped my turbo last night and am going to just step up to a VF39. Where is the cheapest place to get a new one? I"ve gotten a quote at $1,000 for new, but not really sure how good that is. Any suggestions? thanks!
Skip the VF39 and get one of the newer STI ones like a VF48. No real risk of a wastegate crack like the VF39.

Search around NASIOC forums for one. Prices range between $400-700. (from what I remember)

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
May be worth posting a WTB thread on i-club. You could look for a takeoff from an '08+ STi and inspect it in person. There are some nice new turbos you can get for $1000, I wouldn't settle for a VF39 for that price.

Stan

·
Registered
2007 Forester
2 Posts
Hello everbody.
I,m looking for new VF48
Any suggesiton where is the best and cheapest place to buy this turbo?

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT (former)
2,485 Posts
Hello everbody.
I,m looking for new VF48
Any suggesiton where is the best and cheapest place to buy this turbo?
If you can't find them used in your area, you might try importimageracing.com. They sell new IHI turbos for less than you'd pay at a dealership and I believe they will ship internationally.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
50 Posts
I got my VF39 for $212 shipped off ebay with 10k miles. Just make sure you ask questions before buying if the auction doesn't make all of the details absolutely clear. Make sure there's not any in and out shaft play, and very minimal side to side shaft play. Also check compressor wheel housing for any marks indicating the compressor wheel turbine has touched it. I usually request close-up pics of both sides of the turbo insides on a cameras MACRO setting before purchasing.

Also note that a lot of VF39 series turbos will have a wastegate crack. This does not affect performance.

·
Registered
2007 Forester
2 Posts
Thanks Everyboby.
I've just bought brand new VF48 on Ebay for $973 shipped.
For me is a good price because in Poland it cost twice more.
Now I wondering what else I'll need to swap it to my engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts