Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to move up but keep the standard size. Pilot Sport A/S Plus look about as good as I can see for the size. These are a compromise all season design but geared toward performance.

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Crosstrek Ltd
697 Posts
No sure. I am considering getting a set of Goodyear Assurance TripleTred. I want one tire that will do good in the winter (brutal winters here) and yet handle good year round.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Pilots are a nice tire. Not the cheapest. For that price I would go with Nokians.

Nokians are all-weather NOT all seasons. Big difference if you have winter concerns.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Love my Pilot Sport A/S Plus so far! If they really last 45k with the kind of performance they deliver, I'll be a very happy camper.

·
Premium Member
04 Acura TSX the slick 6 speed
2,355 Posts
I've been wearing Goodyear ResponsEdge 225/55/17 for about 33,000 miles now and they're great. They're just average in the rain but in every other category they are outstanding. I'll be ready for some new tires in the next year or so so this thread will be very helpful.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I am likely going to do some swifts and sway bars and I want a tire that can take advantage of these changes. I don't need to go pure performance but a slant in that direction would be nice.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
I've been happy with my General Exclaim UHPs, which are an inexpensive performance-minded all-season. Tirerack says they're "Ultra High Performance Summer" tires, but the sidewall is too soft for a Summer tire. They've been good in the rain, and they grip well enough during spirited driving. For the price, they're hard to beat.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Thanks everyone. I am likely going to do some swifts and sway bars and I want a tire that can take advantage of these changes. I don't need to go pure performance but a slant in that direction would be nice.
With a 55 sidewall you're definitely going to get some roll. I'm running 225/50/17, and the Michelin sidewalls are pretty darn stiff, so it's tolerable.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
225/50 would give me some speedo error. I am not sure if the load rating is the same - perhaps with an XL

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
225/50 would give me some speedo error. I am not sure if the load rating is the same - perhaps with an XL
then go 235/50 and you'll get almost no speedo error.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have the Vrederstein Sport trac2 225 x 55 x 17 and they are good in the dry, very good in the wet and soft enough to be comfortable without too much side wall movement
(nealy as grippy as my Goodyear Asymewtric 215 x 45 x 17 on my WRX but much more comfortable)

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
225/55/17 is my OEM Outback tire size.

I'm going to replace them with 245/50/17 Continental Extreme Contact DWS when I get my STi BBS wheels... and money.

I hear nothing but awesome things about that tire for an all-season. If I were to stick with the OEM tire size, I'd probably still get the Continentals.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put the contis on my wives MAZDA 5 van. Very nice tire and went like hell through the winter. Good choice.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am rethinking my solution a bit. I may look for an aggressive tire for winter/off road for the stock wheels and get some 18's with street tires in 245/45 size.

This way I can swap things out for camping. I don't think I have to have studded or dedicated winter tires if I get a really nice multi purpose tire.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
225/55/17 is my OEM Outback tire size.

I'm going to replace them with 245/50/17 Continental Extreme Contact DWS when I get my STi BBS wheels... and money.

I hear nothing but awesome things about that tire for an all-season. If I were to stick with the OEM tire size, I'd probably still get the Continentals.
+1

The continental extremecontact DWS or contiextremecontact are possibly the best all season tire out there if you want decent snow performance and good dry weather performance and they're decently priced. I had the contiextremecontacts in the stock 215/60/16 and liked them more than any other tire I've ever used even in wider 17" sizes (absolutely the best imo for a stock FXT, should have come with them from the factory!).

I had those general exclaim UHP as well at one point. Great grip and a good aggressive tread, but I didn't like them nearly as much as the continentals. They were too soft around corners and too harsh on bumps imo (however that was likely also a result of running a 235/45).

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Pulled the trigger today on the tires. After a lot of reading the Conti line is just hard to best right now. I have the DWS on my wife's Mazda 5 and they are very nice and plowed through winter great.

I was pretty sold on just getting that set and calling it good. No snows just ride these out for a couple years and be happy.

BUT, I have a buyer for my Geo's locally and I had to buy some now and they are back ordered at tire rack my preferred dealer. Well all is not lost. I will be sporting the Extreme DW in 235/50-17 in a couple of days. Tests and reviews on this all out summer tire look great. The only downsides are that the 235 width is a bit wide on a 7" rim and handling/steering response will suffer a bit and I get about a 1.5% speedo error. The good is that the load rating is spot on.

Now I want to get some 16" steelies with a 215/65/16 in a rugged tread for winter and off road. I am not sure about the 16" fit but I am guessing I am good on that.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
a 1.5% difference in speedo reading won't really be that noticeable, I'd like to get an official answer on the accuracy of the speedo anyway in +- %.

I'm hitting the same problem you are though as I would love to get the DWS's but they're back ordered EVERYWHERE.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The DWS is very nice and worth the wait. Having said that I am pretty excited to get a true high performance tire. With my new Swift springs and sway bars this beast might actually be tamed. We will see.

One thing about the DW that I like is that it rates high for noise and comfort. You lose a bit of steering response but I think it will be a great choice.

Tire choice makes the biggest grip difference and these should give plenty of it. Braking is also a high point for them.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
yeah I'd love to do the swifts as well but I'm in the process of buying a house so I'll have to settle for the STi rear sway bar and the DWS's

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Crosstrek Ltd
697 Posts
I've been happy with my General Exclaim UHPs, which are an inexpensive performance-minded all-season. Tirerack says they're "Ultra High Performance Summer" tires, but the sidewall is too soft for a Summer tire. They've been good in the rain, and they grip well enough during spirited driving. For the price, they're hard to beat.
I had my eye on those tires, but after last winter in my new house in Northeast PA, I don't think that's a wise choice for me...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts