Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best as in most fun to drive, worst as in most terrifying/worst road surface (excluding unpaved stuff :raspberry:).

Best, I don't have an opinion on yet.

Worst: Twice now I've driven on US Route 1 from NC up into the Virginia region. Both times in my dads truck with his full tool box and many other tools in the bed (Going to/from a mission trip). It is a tight twisty road which might be extremely fun in the right car and minus the 18 wheelers full of coal roaring up/down it. I get the :puke: feeling in my stomach every time I go around a turn because I feel like I'm going to meet one of those 18 wheelers head on.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,950 Posts
Route 1 is ugly from Maine to Florida!

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Just today I drove through the University City section of Philadelphia. I've never seen roads that bad in my LIFE.

We were in my wifes Impreza, and were having to nimble our way down a side street like it was a rock-crawling competition! There were potholes, no joke, 18 inches deep and 24 inches across!

The whole time I kept thinking "what in the world is wrong with this city!"

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester X? Auto, 76k miles
2,157 Posts
Hmmm, a couple of my mountain favorites:

GOOD:
1. Hwy 194 from Banner Elk to Boone, NC. And some from Boone toward West Jefferson. This road is filled with switchback after switchback....a little bumpy (I scraped the lip in my old DSM GST) but pretty awesome! I used to take girlfriends down that road back in college, nothing like screaming at the top of your lungs!

2. Hwy 421 on past Boone, when i goes through the Cherokee National Forest. Nicer road, but again, lots of twisty! That was the first time I made my wife carsick!

BAD: only thing that comes to mind is local, bumpy, crazy driver interstates (I-40 and I-77).

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Roads in FL are generally in pretty good shape. No frost means fewer potholes. But, no elevation changes or turns makes life boring. We have lots of long straight roads with nothing to look at in the middle of FL. I love driving in the mountains. (Blue Ridge Pkwy)

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Best? Well, I'm not sure.

Worst? Mississippi. All of it. I swear, I have never felt so many expansion joints and potholes in all my life.

Favorite roads? Unpaved. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5XL AT
171 Posts
Just today I drove through the University City section of Philadelphia. I've never seen roads that bad in my LIFE.

We were in my wifes Impreza, and were having to nimble our way down a side street like it was a rock-crawling competition! There were potholes, no joke, 18 inches deep and 24 inches across!

The whole time I kept thinking "what in the world is wrong with this city!"
The city is broke in the financial sense, and broken in the political/social economic sense.
A large part of it is a GD war zone. They don't call it Killadelphia by chance.
Be glad you were just passing through (and survived) and don't live there.

With regard to the worst stretch of roadway, that would be Rt. I-76.
Otherwise known as the Schuylkill (aka: surekill) Expressway.
Avoid this route unless you have a purpose or a death wish.
It is not for the uninitiated.

·
Registered
2000 Forester L NA auto
574 Posts
Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park in Montana is phenomenal if you can hit it at a time when you don't get behind motor homes or candy donkey scarred people. Its very high and very twisty. A must to check out.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5XL AT
171 Posts
If you are passing through southern New Jersey, stick to the NJ Turnpike.
Rt. 295 is currently under construction, & it is a PIA.
Trust me I know, I live less than .25 miles from it & use it on a daily basis.

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
472 Posts
Worst: Highway 80 across the USA. zzzzzz.
Very true. And add to 98% boring is the 2% tendency for I-80 to quickly turn into a vast parking lot whenever an accident happens.

Overall, I'd have to say Pennsylvania roads are among the worst in the civilized world.

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Hmmm, a couple of my mountain favorites:

GOOD:
1. Hwy 194 from Banner Elk to Boone, NC. And some from Boone toward West Jefferson. This road is filled with switchback after switchback....a little bumpy (I scraped the lip in my old DSM GST) but pretty awesome! I used to take girlfriends down that road back in college, nothing like screaming at the top of your lungs!

2. Hwy 421 on past Boone, when i goes through the Cherokee National Forest. Nicer road, but again, lots of twisty! That was the first time I made my wife carsick!
Oh man i second both of those. My in-laws have a vacation house on Beech Mtn that we go to several times a year. 194 was a blast in my 2004 TL.

I forget the road too, but the road that goes through Pisgah National Forester on the way from Banner Elk to Morganton is awesome too...

Worst road- Any road in Florida that has Florida (Read: People from all over the country that move to Florida and act like they own the place) drivers on it.

Can not wait to move North by compass and south by culture up/dowjn to NC! 13 months.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
Worst conditon... any road in Sudbury, Ontario
I'd also add I-77 from Beckley to the Virginia border... and they make you pay a toll for that road?!?
Worst for traffic... downtown Toronto.
Worst for boredom... I90 through NY State.

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
BEST: RT 15 south, just north of williamsport in PA. great twisties, downhill and as long as you know the road and where to stop having fun relatively no worry about johnny law

WORST: 495/95 DC beltway. anyone who has driven that road knows why

·
Registered
2010 Forester Prem. 5 spd
83 Posts
Best: Highway One from Pacifica to Monterey...if it's not busy

Worst: Van Wyck Parkway, Brooklyn/Queens

I also second DC 95/Beltway - man it bites!!!

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
863 Posts
Heres an interesting and deadly road to drive on... its unpaved but i thought it'd be kinda cool to mention to those of you who dont know about it.... I Heard about it when I was watching Top Gear last week... I'm sure most of you wont be taking ur Fozzie to Bolivia but thats beside the point.

Yungas road... deadliest road in the world. Dirt road no more than a few meters wide at some points... really only safe for 1 car going in one direction.... during rain it becomes extremely treacherous and muddy. and 200-300 people die each year from driving off its cliffs.

I don't know about you... but no matter how impressive i feel my fozzie is, i wouldnt dare take her out there.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5XT
30 Posts
Best road in Finland is that what is narrow and winding and speed limit is 50 mph
Worst road in Finland is that what is wide and straight and speed limit is 62 mph

Because the speed limit is almost same in both, it's much more funny to drive that "best" road, and many times scenerys are more beautiful by the side of those roads.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts