Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen: looking for the best all season tire for my wife's 05 Forester. Strictly on road with about 50/50 highway and around town. We are located about twenty miles north of Boston so winters are not too extreme. She has about thirty thousand miles on the Yokohama Geolanders now on the vehicle. Dealer told her she needs new tires before winter. Consumer Reports rates Hankkook Optimo tops. Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated. Thanks...

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Continental Contiextremecontacts.
Agreed, however they may be more aggressive than necessary. The new DWS does have a 50,000 mile warranty though, which sounds pretty decent. I think they're one of the best all around tires (at least the old version, which I believe is still available in the stock size, but without the higher mileage warranty). Not sure if its been fixed in the new DWS version, but the biggest complaint about the original was issues getting it properly balanced and it "flat spotting" when parked overnight in the cold. Not sure of any other tire I could recommend as much as them, I do like the goodyear tripletred, great all weather tire with good life, but quite a bit more expensive iirc.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
I'm just put on my 2nd set of Kumho Solus KH-16's this past spring. Great tire for all season if you don't get into blizzards. Quiet, great handling and affordable. My first set lasted over 70K.

On my wife's Highlander I recently put on Kumho Solus KR-21. Better, softer ride, but also a little softer handling.

I also cover 7 NE states, so I run dedicated winters. I run Winterforce on a separate set of rims. But my wife's Highlander does just fine for around northern NJ with just those Kumho's on.

·
Registered
2013 XT
1,686 Posts
I'm running the DWS now and I like them. Haven't seen anything other than rain so far, but so far so good.
I've ran the contiextremes last year and this year i'm trying out the dws. So far they are doing great. Although i did put the pressure up to 40psi front and back as the side wall is a bit soft. I'm looking forward to see how they handle the snow. I'll probably drop the pressure once it does snow for a better bite.

·
Premium Member
98 GM67 + 03 SG
358 Posts
Continental Contiextremecontacts.
Put these on mine. Love them. Have seen only rain and dry so far, and am waiting to see what winters are like.

I had Dunlop SP5000 Asymmetrical on the RS when I bought it and they were great in NH snowstorms.

Agreed, however they may be more aggressive than necessary. The new DWS does have a 50,000 mile warranty though, which sounds pretty decent. I think they're one of the best all around tires (at least the old version, which I believe is still available in the stock size, but without the higher mileage warranty). Not sure if its been fixed in the new DWS version, but the biggest complaint about the original was issues getting it properly balanced and it "flat spotting" when parked overnight in the cold. Not sure of any other tire I could recommend as much as them, I do like the goodyear tripletred, great all weather tire with good life, but quite a bit more expensive iirc.
Damnit, Conti comes out with a nice looking tire after I get the uber nice deal on the Extremes. Meh, I've got 15k on the extrmes already and am enjoying them. We'll see how long they last and what I'll replace them with.

All seasons will provide decent traction in the white stuff, but nothing compared to dedicated snow tires. You'll be better off with AS tires compared to summer tires, but you'll have limitations. Best advice is to find an open parking lot with the first snow and see what the levels of grip are like by doing some doughnuts and controlled slides. Just me mindful of light poles and parking curbs.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,105 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.

Oh wait... the question was only directed at the gentlemen.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT-5MT
425 Posts
I would have to say I'm partial towards Goodyear's Assurance TripleTreads..... I live in Southern California... We get plenty of warm weather and I've also taking these up to the mountains with no problem on snow and ice yet... I still haven't needed my chains that I purchased a year ago....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts