Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
Weird coincidence, lol, maybe symbolic? :N_poke:
Well, there is a lot of weird coincidence on this day where I come from... they call the 9th of November Schicksalstag (fateful day) in Germany. But Roo didn't know that when he picked the wedding date... :icon_wink:

·
Premium Member
98 GM67 + 03 SG
358 Posts
I lived and worked in Berlin for 1.5 years from June 2006 to almost 2008. I'd grab my camera and just walk around the city in hopes of finding things. I stumbled upon the East Side Galleria one day, some incredible graffiti on another portion of the city and an old guard tower a couple hundred feet from current Potsdamer Platz.

Berlin is a city rich in history and I absolutely loved living there. Where a wall once stood in Mitte there is now a two row set of bricks that show where things used to be divided. There are sections of the wall still up all over the city.

And if you're ever there, head to Alexander Platz and find the Delores burrito shop. Freakin' AWESOME burritos.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
It's an amazing city, isn't it? Full of history wherever you step, but at the same time so ultra-modern and cosmopolitan. My absolute favorite city in Germany.

One of my most treasured memories is actually visiting East Berlin before there was even a hint of the wall falling, and I think that was only a year prior in 1988. At that time most of us in the western part of Germany still didn't believe it would ever happen.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Making that wall and everything it stood for come down was the goal of the first 24 years of my career with the govt. I think I've earned a deed to a tiny chunk of it, as have lots of other good people who did their own little part of the job.

One of my favorite Berlin stories involves an elevated subway line that was cut off when the wall was built. It sat there unused and vacant for years, till a group of neighborhood entrepreneurs and government officials got together and came up with the idea of parking a few old subway cars there and opening them up as a market for the local Turkish community. The story was that there was a clause in the contract which said it would become void if the wall came down and they reopened the line. Nobody was too worried about that ever happening.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
651 Posts
Saw the Berlin Wall in July of 1989 when backpacking through Europe. It was decided on a flip of a coin. Heads Amsterdam - Tails Berlin. Tails came up so it was Berlin. On the train from West Germany through East Germany to get to Berlin I sat with an older German lady. When the East German crew boarded to take the place of the West German crew at the boarder, the old lady whispered to me, "They (the East Germans) are trained to not to smile. The joy has been taken out of their lives." As a youngster just out of high school, her comments really spooked me. The whole vibe on the train changed as we traveled through East Germany. Before we entered the Berlin, the train stopped once more and soldiers looked under the train to make sure no one was trying to sneak in.
Once in Berlin, I walked along the Wall for hours. At one point, I made eye contact with an armed guard on the East side. He didn't smile and I was reminded of the old lady on the train.
Four months later in college, I stumbled *late* into my morning German class wearing my Checkpoint Charlie T-shirt. I was surprised my instructor smiled and pointed at my t-shirt. He thought I had worn the shirt to celebrate the falling of the Wall. It was just a coincidence. I had no idea the Wall had fallen until just that moment.

·
Premium Member
98 GM67 + 03 SG
358 Posts
Making that wall and everything it stood for come down was the goal of the first 24 years of my career with the govt. I think I've earned a deed to a tiny chunk of it, as have lots of other good people who did their own little part of the job.

One of my favorite Berlin stories involves an elevated subway line that was cut off when the wall was built. It sat there unused and vacant for years, till a group of neighborhood entrepreneurs and government officials got together and came up with the idea of parking a few old subway cars there and opening them up as a market for the local Turkish community. The story was that there was a clause in the contract which said it would become void if the wall came down and they reopened the line. Nobody was too worried about that ever happening.
I heard the same story from a gentleman who used to run tours in the city. I think that was Nollendorf Platz or Wittenburg Platz on the U2 line. I used to get on at Mohrenstr. and used the U2 to transfer to other lines.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This market was at Bülowstraße. There was also an antique market at Nollendorfplatz. IIRC Wittenburgplatz was pretty deep into the West, and totally underground. Big station, sitting smack in the middle of the Ku'damm?

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,784 Posts
Was in the Navy when it fell,cold war over,was a good feeling.

Thank you Ronald Reagan,Margret Thatcher,Pope John Paul,Lech Wałęsa.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd also give a bit of credit to every East German border guard for not firing his weapon. It's like they simply realized that it was all over, and some inherent sense of goodness set in. At least that's what I'd like to think.

·
Premium Member
98 GM67 + 03 SG
358 Posts
This market was at Bülowstraße. There was also an antique market at Nollendorfplatz. IIRC Wittenburgplatz was pretty deep into the West, and totally underground. Big station, sitting smack in the middle of the Ku'damm?
Yup, I was thinking too far down the line. Bülowstraße sounds correct and looks to be in the area I was thinking about.

All that remains of the wall. A distant memory.

Some other pictures I took while living there. Some with my A95, others with my 20D.

Treptower Park

Berlin

Potsdamer Platz

Old Watchtower

Sachsenhausen Work Camp

1 - 20 of 27 Posts