Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:frown:

I hate when my car isn't working 'perfectly' ... 3 hours after I had my rear end link mounting tabs beefed up and welded back onto my lateral links (broke em off in the dirt a week ago, courtesy of my new swaybar :wink: ) I happened to look under my car to see how the new endlinks were holding up and low and behold, BOTH lateral links (rear ones w/ endlink tabs) are bent to hell. The driver side has a good 3" bow in it. (Will post pics as soon as I get home)

So....... just to make sure that it never happens again, I'm having a buddy of mine custom fab new lateral links out of 1 1/4" chromoly tube and gusset the crap out of them.... but I need someones help!!

Since my arms are bent to hell, even if we pull them off our measurements wont be perfect. Does anyone have easy access to the specs for those links? Most specifically the exact length?

Ohh yeah... has anyone else had this happen yet? I haven't read anything about this being an issue before, but I always said that those arms are going to be the first thing to go.... :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
i think ur the first person I've seen with bent lateral links...

unless if Peaty beats me to the punch I do have access to the FSM.. and also have my old lat links in my basement.. will check later tonight when i get home...

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
Bad Timing;-) . I just had my lats off to install the PolTec box endlinks on Sunday.

Jeff

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wagn said:
Bad Timing;-) . I just had my lats off to install the PolTec box endlinks on Sunday.

Jeff

!!! :tempertantrum !!!!

LOL... I'll forgive you... this time :lol:

D

·
0 Posts
What cause the sway bars to bend them? what setting of the sway bar were you using? were you off roading or aout crossing???

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
:ttiwwop:

must see pics :drive:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I bent my arms on the street... I had just gotten my passenger side endlink mount welded back onto the link earlier in the day. I wasn't even driving it very hard, but I took a right hand turn at about 45-50 and hit a quazi pothole/sinkhole thing half way through the turn. I can only assume that under those specific circumstances that the forces applied to the link (between the cornering of the car, the travel of the suspension, and the lateral force of the swaybar) were just too much for it to take at once. I had my bar at the middle setting... I was talking to a couple people about it and they think it was bound to happen, especially since I had the tabs welded on better... heating up the link made it weaker and that is exactly where it bent.

Ohh well. Ultimatly I want my car to be able to jump some smaller stuff, so those would have been replaced anyways. I'm actually working with a custom shop to build me some long travel A arms for my front end :biggrin:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Peaty said:
:ttiwwop:

must see pics :drive:
I was working on it :wink: ... my dad is out of town and took our nice camera, so here's a crappy cell phone pic. I'll get better (more inclusive) ones as soon as I can get home to our other camera.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,250 Posts
I photoshopped it for more clarity.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Ru... I didn't even think of doing that!

Here's another from the front, so you can see the angle better

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
Oh man, it hurts to see those pics. Sorry for you mishap. I am a bit concern for my lateral links now since I am 3" lower than stock in the rear and may go bigger rear sway bar. My lateral links are horizontal now. With that degree, I am not confident the lateral links would hold up.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's definatly a concern... but I know 100% that the endlink tabs will break off before the bar breaks. So in the event something happens, your links will be spared. It is only because I had them reinforced that the bars bent.

Don't let that scare you from getting that swaybar though, it is INSANE how much body roll it cancels... plus I drive my car HARD, 75-80 in the dirt every day, I have a rally course about a mile from my house... if you aren't doing naughty things, she'll hold up :wink:

·
The Modfather
8,054 Posts
What exactly did you do to beef up the tab?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We didn't actually add any material, but welded the tab onto the link all of the way across (front and back), as opposed to the factory welds that only held it on the sides. You can barely tell in the first pic but there is a new weld on the inside edge (right side), about 1/4" thick, welded with mild grade steel. He hit the other side as well, but it was difficult to get to with the tire there.

Well, it sure worked, lol. The tab didn't break off :wink:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'll sell you mine! I'm changing over to the alloy STI arms next week. . . . It couldn't be that the heat from welding distorted or weakened the arm? hmmmm?

·
The Modfather
8,054 Posts
euroauto said:
It couldn't be that the heat from welding distorted or weakened the arm? hmmmm?
That's why I was asking what was done, humm.

·
The Modfather
8,054 Posts
I have it but I didn't think they would give you the size of the link where would that be?

D

·
0 Posts
I still don't understand why it bronke can someone explain it to me? You would think that since they are aftermarket that they shoudln't break u nder street conditions.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts