Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this was never an officially-supported configuration, but has anybody ever come across a belt which is properly sized to fit an EJ255 (2004) to drive the alternator in the absence of the power steering pump?

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
He's building a buggy.

You will probably need to do the string method. To convert your measurement to a useful part number, see below:

a 355k5 belt is 35.5 inches long and has 5 ribs. This number will work for advance auto's low line belts. from there, they will be able to cross it to what ever brand you want.

Oh, and measure on top the grooves of the pullies, not in them.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The engine is being transplanted into a vehicle without power steering. It's not absolutely critical that I remove the pump, but it would clean things up a bit.

I know it's a long shot, just figured I'd check here before I head down to NAPA and proceed to spend an hour rooting through their belts to find one that'll match.

Surely this engine family must have been installed in some vehicle in which power steering was optional?

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
wrap a string around the path of the pulleys to get the length then go to your favorite parts store. Knowing the lenght and the number of ribs one can typically find a belt to work.

You may want to ask this question in some of the buggy/ultralite/VW forums.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's building a buggy.

To convert your measurement to a useful part number, see below:
A buggy? Oh, how harsh. :D

Thanks for the info on the belts. I honestly had no idea that there was a standardized system of measurement for these. Figured I'd have to measure it and then root around through the inventory at the parts store until I found one that was close.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts