Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the demise of my company fuel card, I've been weighing up options with regards to the foz (2.5XT, SG) - 20K miles a year at under 30mpg is going to hurt the pocket somewhat. I've been looking at alternatives to work out if they would make a suitable replacement.

Volvo XC70 (new shape), D4D, 2wd (DrivE?). Spent a few hours as a passenger in a friends one. Seemed well built, decent level of kit, quiet and comfy. More of an Outback competitor than a Foz one though. Apparently averages 40mpg. Bit floaty over bumps. Can't imagine me driving one though...

Outback 2.0D, circa 2012 w/12,000 miles. I was actually very impressed with the outback. Seats were very nice - more supportive than the foz, especially under the thighs where the foz seats are quite short. Much higher spec - dual zone climate, power seats, bluetooth etc etc, and seemed very well screwed together. Felt very big compared to an SG - loads of leg room front and back, and the boot was huge. Felt very wide too. Ride was excellent - very smooth and very quiet - very little road noise or wind noise. Steering was a little vague at low speeds but seemed to tighten up when you sped up a bit. Felt a bit 'wafty', but I guess that's more it's target market - more luxury tourer than SUV. Diesel engine pulled well from low down, seemed very smooth for a diesel as well. 6 speed was notchy compared to the slick 5 speed. I could see myself driving one, but felt I had to test a new foz as well....

Forester 2.0D Suretrak, circa 2010 with 50k miles. Build wise it's seemed halfway in between the Outback and the SG. I've read lots of reviews saying they feel really tinny, but it's definitely better built than an SG. Road noise and wind noise were a lot less than an SG, but it's not as quiet as the new outback. Engine wise, it felt a lot perkier - possibly it's because it had more miles on it and had loosened up, possibly because the Foz is a bit lighter or geared differently? For a diesel it pulled very well from 1500rpm or so, didn't seem to suffer from being off boost much at all. One of my concerns was that it would feel dog slow compared to an XT, but it really didn't feel bad at all, if anything it has more low down pull.. The moonroof was massive, and there's a lot more space in the back than in the SG - plenty of legroom. It had power seats etc and was nicely spec'd, but the seat bases were short, just like the SG. It felt much softer and a little floaty compared to the stiff SG ride, but not as much as the outback. Gearchange wasn't as slick as the XT 5 speed. The one thing that really, really let it down was the quality of the interior - the silver door pulls, the silver heater controls were all scratched and worn (possibly from someone wearing a ring?) showing the translucent plastic beneath. The leather gear knob was also all worn.. My SG is twice as old in years and miles and is immaculate inside - not sure if the older materials are better if mines just been better looked after... But overall, could I see myself driving one? Certainly - the diesel seemed pretty decent in it, and you can't really complain at over 40 mpg!

Time to breakout the spreadsheet and work out if the Foz is worth trading up to!

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Outback would be my choice out of those as well, I think.

·
Registered
2015 Fiat van Man stick
4,808 Posts
Don't get a Volvo. It'l suck the life out of you and you'll end up wearing a hi viz jacket whilst driving "just to be on the safe side".

Have you factored in the cost of changing....

Any newer/replacement car will need something doing to it. Battery, brakes, lubes, suspension (not mods just wear & tear), further depreciation, newer models knocking values down etc etc. This list is considerable.

Staying with what you know can often be cheaper in my mind. MPG is not everything. If you re mapped the XT and did some cheap tweaks you could improve the MPG - I can get 33-35 in my STI most of the time easy enough. You're XT is unlikely to lose much more value and is such a capable machine. Save your changing costs and spend it on mods to improve what you have. Get it remapped for mid range and economy rather than top end and your biggest concern will have been dealt with.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XT Manual
139 Posts
This is the beauty of Subaru owners. A remap is the answer to everything :)

Keep it and break out manmaths.xlsx to confirm you're right to do so.

·
Registered
2015 Fiat van Man stick
4,808 Posts
Yep. Detailed financial analysis required.

I scrutinised everything and in the end I realised the WRX STI was actually the best way to go for my needs and requirements from a car. Madness it sounds but in truth the figures balance very well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If anything, I would probably choose the Foz with my heart, the outback with my head. I'd see myself driving the Foz in my mind's eye though.

I only picked those two as they were reasonably local approved dealer stock. The Foz I looked at was way overpriced though - 50K miles on a 2010 plate for £16K is way over the top - the 2 year newer Outback was only a couple of K more (albeit with cloth not leather). They were both very nice though. Both dealers were very happy to let me have a test drive with no pressure of an imminent sale, which was nice, not pushy at all.

For the cost of changing, especially with the low-ball PX offered for the XT, I shall probably end up sticking with what I have - it buys a LOT of petrol. Even going to a 45mpg diesel only saves me £2K a year, and a decent XT replacement would probably be 12-15K. Big difference... However - whenever the Foz is getting on, I would very seriously consider one of the two above as it's replacement :)

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
If only saving 2k a year I say forget switching to diesel. One DPF failure or dual-mass flywheel failure and your saving is history.

Steve

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If only saving 2k a year I say forget switching to diesel. One DPF failure or dual-mass flywheel failure and your saving is history.
Yeah - when you work out the figures, even something 'expensive' like a 2.5XT with it's high tax band doesn't actually cost you *that* much more to run - and as you say, the modern diesels seem to have their own issues - blocked DPFs, flywheels, injector failures etc etc...

Man logic is already dividing the money 'saved' on not buying an SH into handy £60 units.. Hmmmm... :D

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,975 Posts
My relocation allowance stops next month, so have a similar issue in that all petrol costs directly hit my wallet from now on.

I've been mulling over for ages and haven't yet got to a solution that I'm happy with.

I've considered running two cars, various different cars, dual map. Still not cracked it as ultimately I just think I'm not quite ready to move from the Forester.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2006 Sold
1,012 Posts
My local garage sorted my window motor today and he's got this fabulous Audi A4 RS Estate diesel outside - got talking about it and he said it was in for a replacement gearbox - its on an 08 plate and box has gone already. Looking at £2000 upwards it seems. He said this wasn't the first of these he'd heard of with similar issues.
Heaven knows what main dealer would be charging.
Stick with Subaru seems to be the lesson here

·
Registered
2015 XT CVT.....sadly !
1,199 Posts
My local garage sorted my window motor today and he's got this fabulous Audi A4 RS Estate diesel outside - got talking about it and he said it was in for a replacement gearbox - its on an 08 plate and box has gone already. Looking at £2000 upwards it seems. He said this wasn't the first of these he'd heard of with similar issues.
Heaven knows what main dealer would be charging.
Stick with Subaru seems to be the lesson here
My old impreza's gearbox went when it was just over 3 years and 62k miles old.(and conveniently just out of warranty)..with FSSH etc etc

Just saying :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2015 Fiat van Man stick
4,808 Posts
If you go down the two vehicle route get a tiny car derived van. They are cheap to run and lighter than the car they are based upon. You also get the added bonus of a "visit the tip" car or dog carrier. If you then use this vehicle for your commuter miles you won't get cheaper.

I did the maths soooo many times before I got my sti and I'll say again - There is no substitute for being happy in your car! If you don't believe me, hire a "cheap-to-run-normal-car" and use it for a week. You'll find you have to thrash it to make progress and any perceived benefit will disappear out the exhaust.

A friend had a Q5 Audi from new. Same mpg as the sti as an average unless he drove it super careful then it was better but you can't go everywhere with an egg under the pedal. The Audi cost way more to buy and he has now got rid of it and calls Audi "lying toe rags".

He now has a top spec VW Amarok pick up (8sp auto etc) and it is cheaper to run than the Q5 (probably down to weight) but it keeps breaking down in only 5k miles from new. Fuel pipe wore through, starter gear sheared and mashed something else expensive, several minor electrical niggles. Oh, and a set of tyres in 11k miles!

STICK WITH WHAT YOU KNOW!!! You will regret it if you change. Don't let marketing men have their way.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Automatic
64 Posts
50K miles on a 2010 plate for £16K is way over the top
That is expensive, you could get one at a fraction of that price with higher mileage.

I bought a 58 reg diesel for £8150 with 90k on the clock, had to travel 200mile to pick it up though :D.

I knew i would have to spend a bit of money on it, so here goes :)

I had a new windscreen fitted, as the original had some scratches on it, then I put new tyres on, had the wheels refurbished, had the dpf removed and a performance ecu remap, new front and rear stabilizer link bars, new disc and pads all round, new geniune wipers front and back, new clutch and dual mass flywheel and just had a full service. Plus I added genuine mud flaps and a foldable cargo tray lol.

Anyway after all that, I've got a very good reliable car with excellent mpg for around £10,500. I use the car for my business as a self employed courier (delivering parcels) The fuel usage for 6hrs stop/start driving (30 miles round trip) is around 25mpg, with my clio tce turbo 100sx i only did 18-20mpg, and didn't do the job half as good, as I kept scraping the bottom of the car up and down these lonnings lol. The forester just glides over the potholes and has almost 2x more bootspace :)

Very good car, foresters rule :mob:

btw i didn't get all that work done at once, I did it over a 12 mth period :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is expensive, you could get one at a fraction of that price with higher mileage.

I bought a 58 reg diesel for £8150 with 90k on the clock, had to travel 200mile to pick it up though :D.
That was cheap!!

I know the one I looked at was expensive - but it was a reasonably local main dealer and I could test drive it easily enough :) It was more of a reference of what one should be like, if it's main dealer and subaru approved then you know mechanically there shouldn't be that much up with it - it should drive well...

From looking at it, it was nice enough outside (apart from budget tyres on the back), but the little details like scratched panels let it down inside, it certainly wasn't worth what they were asking...

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Automatic
64 Posts
Yes, I never buy from a main dealer lol. Buy private with fsh and you can always barter on the price :) They originally wanted 9.5k for their car but a large jiffy bag with 8 grand in cash changed their minds :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts