Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.......was fixing my sideswipe today (pushing out the metal and trying to buff out the scrape. But buffing the scrape out wasn't working, so I finally decided to do what I've been wanting to do for a while, paint the lower portion of my car with a satin-black bed-liner material. I've used this stuff in the past on my motorcycle, and it works and goes on amazingly well. Got the right side of the car (notice there's no more dent on the rear door) and the front bumper done before it got dark. Waking up at the butt-crack of dawn tomorrow to finish the rest.......

Crappy teaser pic from the iPhone....

....and what the scrape looked like beforehand.......

·
Registered
1998 Forester
95 Posts
awesome! keen to see more pics when done.
did you take the panels off?
cheers,
AJ.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesome! keen to see more pics when done.
did you take the panels off?
cheers,
AJ.
Yep. Popped off the panels (which was surprisingly easy) and sprayed them individually after I fixed the scraped one. I sprayed the rocker panels and bumpers while they're still on the car (easier to spray and sand that way). Should be done with the entire car tomorrow morning. Will take pics and post up what I did.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Nice work! I've been thinking of doing the same thing to my X. I think a black lower half would look better than the dark gray it is now.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
457 Posts
Nice job we use to do that to the lower quarters all the time when I belonged to the Tacoma club. Most of the guys I wheeled with did that. It wares really well.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
95 Posts
Nice work! I've been thinking of doing the same thing to my X. I think a black lower half would look better than the dark gray it is now.
likewise, black on silver will match the trim and tint alot better i think, and hide any bumps and bruises :biggrin:

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice job we use to do that to the lower quarters all the time when I belonged to the Tacoma club. Most of the guys I wheeled with did that. It wares really well.
Yeah, but I made the $90 mistake today taking some off-roader's advise getting the Herculiner. Honestly, that stuff is absolute s**t. It takes FOREVER to dry, and it looks like you spray painted gloss black, kicked rocks all over it, then sprayed over it. I'm GLAD I tested that stuff on a spare body panel I had laying around, too bad I can't return the stuff and get my freaking $90 bucks back. The Duplicolor stuff makes the surface look more like textured satin-black plastic....much more Line-X like.

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
472 Posts
looks great. something, something lemons, something, something lemonade - LOL! what brand bed liner did you use?
I think it goes, 'When life hands you lemons, make roast pheasant with a tangy lemon glaze. It has a higher profit margin than lemonade' - Randy Glasbergen :biggrin:

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
looks great. something, something lemons, something, something lemonade - LOL! what brand bed liner did you use?
This, and it's awesome.....it's about $8/can, but I've only used about 2 1/2 cans, and that got the entire side, as well as the front bumper done.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Yeah, but I made the $90 mistake today taking some off-roader's advise getting the Herculiner. Honestly, that stuff is absolute s**t. It takes FOREVER to dry, and it looks like you spray painted gloss black, kicked rocks all over it, then sprayed over it. I'm GLAD I tested that stuff on a spare body panel I had laying around, too bad I can't return the stuff and get my freaking $90 bucks back. The Duplicolor stuff makes the surface look more like textured satin-black plastic....much more Line-X like.
The herculiner stuff is amazing, but it takes a decent amount of prep work, and the do it yourself version is pretty difficult to work with. 2 of my friends have the entire interiors of their wranglers done in it, much better than having carpet when you go mudding without a roof or doors!

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
I used to do all of my winter rims with that stuff, it lasts better and holds up much better to rocks/roadsalt than normal paint.. the bottom of our westfalia had rockblocker sprayed and then painted to match. my only gripe is it makes it harder to wax..:icon_frown:

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Hmm I think some maintenance guys here used Herculiner inside steel trash bins because the Coca Cola ate through the steel. Has held up for almost a decade now.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
457 Posts
Yea a few of the guys did that I never thought it looked vary good. The best ones I have seen were Line-X. It was standard practice for guys in the club to get there beds dun and have the rockers dun at the same time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts